Random question about vacationing...

wmheel1287

Exceptional Member
ZZL Supporter
Does anyone else have a nearly total aversion to vacationing or doing any sort of leisure activity near home? I have come to realize that this is me. We live in Cary and I cannot tell you the last time we did anything resembling even a day trip in North Carolina. I haven't spent a night at the NC coast since I was probably 18 and I'm 46 now. I don't go to the NC mountains at all. Outside of UNC sporting events, we really never go anywhere in NC. Somehow, downtime for me instantly equates to getting on a plane and traveling far away. Is anyone else like this?

Does anyone else have a nearly total aversion to vacationing or doing any sort of leisure activity near home? I have come to realize that this is me. We live in Cary and I cannot tell you the last time we did anything resembling even a day trip in North Carolina. I haven't spent a night at the NC coast since I was probably 18 and I'm 46 now. I don't go to the NC mountains at all. Outside of UNC sporting events, we really never go anywhere in NC. Somehow, downtime for me instantly equates to getting on a plane and traveling far away. Is anyone else like this?
If by like this you mean exactly the opposite, vacationing regularly on the NC coast and in the NC mountains, then yes.

No. I do both. I love the mountains and the Carolinas coast. But I also vacation further away which requires air travel, despite my wish in retirement to never get on another airplane.

If by like this you mean exactly the opposite, vacationing regularly on the NC coast and in the NC mountains, then yes.
I'm with NYC here. We take more trips in the state than out of it. We did 5 days in the mountains last weekend and are headed to the NC coast next weekend.

I believe it was The 18th century English writer Samuel Johnson who first said when a man is tired of the Blue ridge parkway he is tired of life

It was a young Dan’l Boone who expressed a similar sentiment in ‘Merikan’ around the same time…

IMG_4437.jpeg

Man, not me. I love a good plane ride somewhere, but it's kind of a hassle, especially with kids. We go to the outer banks, Brunswick co. beaches, New Bern, Beaufort, NC/VA mtns quite often. I get where you might not really feel like you're getting away by sticking a few hrs from home, but you could take a lot more "vacations" that way, even if they're just weekend trips.

You’re squandering one of the best things about living where you do. There’s still time to correct!

I love short trips to the NC mountains. Living in Charlotte, it’s super close. The closest beaches to me are the ones around the Charleston area, so that’s where I typically go when want a quick beach trip. I also generally prefer the SC beaches to the NC beaches.

I think it depends on where you live and what you like. There are two options here:

1. Local stuff isn't to your taste. If I lived in NC, I'd be like you. I've spent enough time in real mountains to find the Appalachians quite boring, and the NC beaches are . . . well, I don't love beaches so I probably wouldn't go there.

2. Local stuff would be fine, but you like getting away for the sake of it. That's not me, but it's a lot of people. I have friends who aren't happy with a vacation unless they've flown 1000 miles to get there. It's a personal thing, I think.

Chapel Hill is the sweet spot. 3+/-hours to Wrightsville Beach or Blowing Rock. My preference is mountains in the summer and beach in the winter. So many easy day trips and interesting things to do without losing hours to airport parking lots and check-ins. To each their own but I think you're missing out on some cool things closer to home.

Honestly I figured it was just me being very odd.

As an example, I was offered to use this house to have both of our families for Christmas and politely declined. That interaction is what prompted the post.

No.

After a 2023 that involved flights to Jamaica, Miami for a 7 day cruise, Barcelona via JFK and ORD in the way back (with a 7 day cruise in between), and three weeks in India with a stop at JFK and Doha, I said 2024 is gonna be the year of driving trips.

We still ended up in NYC Boston and Maine so I guess that’s a little more local.

I’d like to explore Brevard and Highlands. I did route 80 and 226A around Little Switzerland with some of my friends and our 911’s. I’m currently in Waynesville for work and have totally fallen in love. I haven’t been to Wrightsville since 2020 and would like to get back.

Did lake lure for a golf trip in April and doing a Pinehurst trip in October.

You may as well live in Kansas.

No.

After a 2023 that involved flights to Jamaica, Miami for a 7 day cruise, Barcelona via JFK and ORD in the way back (with a 7 day cruise in between), and three weeks in India with a stop at JFK and Doha, I said 2024 is gonna be the year of driving trips.

We still ended up in NYC Boston and Maine so I guess that’s a little more local.

I’d like to explore Brevard and Highlands. I did route 80 and 226A around Little Switzerland with some of my friends and our 911’s. I’m currently in Waynesville for work and have totally fallen in love. I haven’t been to Wrightsville since 2020 and would like to get back.

Did lake lure for a golf trip in April and doing a Pinehurst trip in October.

You may as well live in Kansas.

Thing it is really wouldn't matter where I lived, I think vacation would always be far away for me.

Thing it is really wouldn't matter where I lived, I think vacation would always be far away for me.
Yeah, some people are like that. Ain't nothing wrong with it -- except the carbon emissions, I suppose, but that's sort of a different question.

We just got back from 5 days at Atlantic Beach with one set of grandkids-then drove up to Lake Gaston for two days with two other sets of grandkids Wonderful week seeing old NC !!!

No place makes me feel at peace more than the mountains in NC. Sure, there are more visually spectacular mountains elsewhere. I think the age of the mountains in NC is equally awe inspiring. Plus the temperate rainforest climate is pretty rare, and it’s a climate I really enjoy.

Man, not me. I love a good plane ride somewhere, but it's kind of a hassle, especially with kids. We go to the outer banks, Brunswick co. beaches, New Bern, Beaufort, NC/VA mtns quite often. I get where you might not really feel like you're getting away by sticking a few hrs from home, but you could take a lot more "vacations" that way, even if they're just weekend trips.
We have been going to Ocean Isle Beach for almost 50 years. My parents had a condo there for almost 40 years. To my grandchildren it’s the only beach.

We just got back from 5 days at Atlantic Beach with one set of grandkids-then drove up to Lake Gaston for two days with two other sets of grandkids Wonderful week seeing old NC !!!
Parents live on Gaston. They don't really go out anymore. Boat hasn't left the boathouse in 3 years I think.

Parents live on Gaston. They don't really go out anymore. Boat hasn't left the boathouse in 3 years I think.
I grew up going to an s living on LKG, and have spent 5 or 6 years occasionally working there. It does nothing for me anymore. When I’m there I don’t even notice the water unless I’m on a boathouse or something.

Back