So tell me about Joe Rogan

SmilingJack

Distinguished Member
I keep hearing about this guy but as a 66 year old white male die hard North Carolina fan & Lumber River Scot and all the rest of it I have no idea about Joe Rogan? Is it another grift on the idiots down here? They seem to love some kind of Yankee con man ripping them off? So who the hell is Joe Rogan and is his rap relevant let me know.

Do you remember a TV sitcom from the 1990's that was named "NewsRadio"? Had some big-name stars: Dave Foley, Stephen Root, Andy Dick, Maura Tieney, Vicki Lewis, Phil Hartman, Khandi Alexander, Jon Lovitz, Patrick Warburton, Lauren Graham, David Cross, and Bob Odenkirk. If so, full stop. Joe Rogan was also on the show. Just stop at the last episode of "NewRadio" and don't investigate Joe Rogan any further.

Do you remember a TV sitcom from the 1990's that was named "NewsRadio"? Had some big-name stars: Dave Foley, Stephen Root, Andy Dick, Maura Tieney, Vicki Lewis, Phil Hartman, Khandi Alexander, Jon Lovitz, Patrick Warburton, Lauren Graham, David Cross, and Bob Odenkirk. If so, full stop. Joe Rogan was also on the show. Just stop at the last episode of "NewRadio" and don't investigate Joe Rogan any further.
That was a great show in its prime, my dad used to love watching it, especially Stephen Root as the station's goofy owner. Root went on to voice Bill Dauterive and Buck Strickland on King of the Hill, another favorite show of mine. I forgot about Rogan being on NewsRadio.

OK I already figured I wasn't missing anything but as so many people say we here are in a hive. One need only listen to his misogyny and patriarchy which I just did(don't trust me just listening to this asshole makes me sad to be male) just be sure you are registered to vote and fucking vote!

He's a meathead who pretends, from time to time, to be a reasonable bosider when he's essentially the central figure in the right-wing "man-o-sphere". He was very early in podcast game and with his background in MMA (has announced for UFC for decades), body building, and gross-out TV (was host of Fear Factor) he built a following of hipsters, meatheads, teenage boys, and eventually the aggrieved right-wing male.

His audience is HUGE, in part because he didn't always appear to be a right-wing figure, and has supported Bernie Sanders, gay rights, and universal healthcare, amongst other more left-wing positions. At the same time, he advocated for the GOP during the 2022 midterms, is a 2A guy, encouraged young people to not get the COVID vaccine, spreads conspiracies, and has give his platform to people like Jordan Petersen, Bari Weiss, Alex Jones, and Milo Yiannopolous.

I keep hearing about this guy but as a 66 year old white male die hard North Carolina fan & Lumber River Scot and all the rest of it I have no idea about Joe Rogan? Is it another grift on the idiots down here? They seem to love some kind of Yankee con man ripping them off? So who the hell is Joe Rogan and is his rap relevant let me know.

I was aware of him via the NBC sitcom, then fear factor, then mma, then weed, then the podcast.

I liked that it was fresh and new and funny and informative.

Then, he started contradicting himself. Then he did it more. Then I noticed he would take on the view and personality of his guests. Then I started finding out the ppl that he coddled on the right were awful humans. Then he started sounding like them. Then Trump v Hillary happened. I haven't listened since...

Hard to believe that was damn near ten years ago.

He doesnt pretend to be an expert on anything. He has a podcast where he simply has a conversation with a guest, spanning a wide cariety of topics. Politically he’s in the middle. He’s pro free speech and second amendment while on the left on social issues. He’s for universal basic income, universal healthcare, and expansive social programs. He voted for obama twice and endorsed Bernie Sanders in 2016.

He doesnt pretend to be an expert on anything. He has a podcast where he simply has a conversation with a guest, spanning a wide cariety of topics. Politically he’s in the middle. He’s pro free speech and second amendment while on the left on social issues. He’s for universal basic income, universal healthcare, and expansive social programs. He voted for obama twice and endorsed Bernie Sanders in 2016.
Pre-Covid and post-Covid Joe Rogan are not the same people. He frequently supports and platforms conspiracy theorists and anti-establishment frauds to delegitimize science.

He called Terrance Howard “brilliant”.

Pre-Covid and post-Covid Joe Rogan are not the same people. He frequently supports and platforms conspiracy theorists and anti-establishment frauds to delegitimize science.

To be fair he has been proven right on his opinions on COVID policy. One thing the left is terrible at is labeling something they disagree with as a conspiracy theory.

To be fair he has been proven right on his opinions on COVID policy. One thing the left is terrible at is labeling something they disagree with as a conspiracy theory.
You see, his is the kind of post which can be fact checked rather easily and once proven - one way or the other - the OP should back up the truck when found wrong and not keep on about it, escalating tensions with inanity, which eventually gets one banned from the other board… and then their buddies cry foul about how mods are “picking on the right”.

It’s all really predictable and is exactly what happened time and again on the other board.

You see, his is the kind of post which can be fact checked rather easily and once proven - one way or the other - the OP should back up the truck when found wrong and not keep on about it, escalating tensions with inanity, which eventually gets one banned from the other board… and then their buddies cry foul about how mods are “picking on the right”.

It’s all really predictable and is exactly what happened time and again on the other board.
The problem is that his opinions on COVID policy are probably unfalsifiable. I imagine he takes the position that the lockdown and other public safety measures were ineffective. The problem is that it is impossible to convince people that a bigger disaster was avoided.

I am guessing the majority of the scientific community considers public health measures to have given us time to develop and administer vaccines before the majority of the population suffered from COVID. But it is very hard to convince the public you prevented a bigger disaster.

I use my own example. I did not get COVID until after vaccines were rolled out. Likely because of this, my experience with COVID has been extremely mild. I doubt I would have made it to the point of vaccine rollout had we all continued as normal.

My brother on the other hand did not get vaccinated. His experience with long COVID has been devastating to the point where I wonder if he will eventually end his life (despite being extremely religious).

Who knows if that could have been my fate had I not made it to the vaccine rollouts.

Admittedly my experience is simply anecdotal.

The problem is that his opinions on COVID policy are probably unfalsifiable. I imagine he takes the position that the lockdown and other public safety measures were ineffective. The problem is that it is impossible to convince people that a bigger disaster was avoided.

I am guessing the majority of the scientific community considers public health measures to have given us time to develop and administer vaccines before the majority of the population suffered from COVID. But it is very hard to convince the public you prevented a bigger disaster.

I use my own example. I did not get COVID until after vaccines were rolled out. Likely because of this, my experience with COVID has been extremely mild. I doubt I would have made it to the point of vaccine rollout had we all continued as normal.

My brother on the other hand did not get vaccinated. His experience with long COVID has been devastating to the point where I wonder if he will eventually end his life (despite being extremely religious).

Who knows if that could have been my fate had I not made it to the vaccine rollouts.

Admittedly my experience is simply anecdotal.
No, it's far more dangerous than some opaque position like you suggest.

Here's a few of his claims over the last few years:
  • Healthy, young people don't need COVID vaccines
  • That Myocarditis risk is higher from vaccines than from COVID
  • That Ivermectin can drive the pathogen to extinction
  • mRNA vaccines are essentially gene therapy
  • Vaccines are unnecessary because your antibodies will protect you
  • Lockdowns were unnecessary and used to control the population
  • That Biden never actually received the vaccine on camera (it was a hoax)
  • That CDC death certification was misdirected (ex. that a patient with a gunshot to the head and COVID infection deemed the cause of death to be COVID)
  • That long-term injuries occurred because of the vaccine
  • That CDC deaths were inflated by ignoring other causes
  • The vaccine was an illegal mandate
Here's a little excerpt:

“COVID was just so strange,” he said. “And we lost a lot of people during COVID, and most of them are still alive. There’s a lot of people that I don’t fuck with anymore. Before COVID, I would have told you that vaccines are the most important invention in human history. After COVID, I’m like, ‘I don’t think we went to the moon. I think Michelle Obama’s got a dick. I think Pizzagate is real. I think there’s direct energy weapons in Antarctica.’ I’m just kidding — I don’t think Michelle Obama’s got a dick, but I believe all of that other shit.”

Joe Rogan has a platform that reaches millions. Platforming anti-science, flat earth, and conspiracy is wrong and any attempts to normalize it should be rejected.

I was like, hey wait, Terrance Howard IS brilliant! Hustle and Flow?!? Then I googled 'Terrance Howard crazy'. Now I wish I could un-google it.

I was like, hey wait, Terrance Howard IS brilliant! Hustle and Flow?!? Then I googled 'Terrance Howard crazy'. Now I wish I could un-google it.
Losing Iron Man broke that dude. If you're working on something and want an entertaining listen, I'd highly recommend this:

Yeesh, just looked up Terrance Howard’s wiki - dude is batshit crazy and a physically violent abuser. No wonder “the next Denzel” never happened after Hustle and Flow.

Back