Southwest Airlines employee subject to repeated N-word usage

He is suing Southwest Airlines for allowing the racism as well as other nonsense like a Hitler sticker on a locker. The twist here is that the victim as well as the employees that used the n-word were black. I assume SWA will lose this one. It is going to put the defence in the unenviable position of explaining why its racist for some races to say a word but not a different race and somehow this different standard based on raced is not racist.

I thought i got away from this nonsense.

Again, everything you need to know about this case was presented succinctly on page 1. There are no courts authorized, AFAIK, to make determinations about whether something is or isn't "racist" (except possibly in special contexts like entertainer contracts that conceivably might contain that term to indicate that the contract can be voided upon racist conduct or comments, but a) the contract is unlikely to be worded that way and b) courts interpreting contracts are finding the parties' intent and thus it's really a private matter). They are tasked to determine when some conduct is or isn't actionable "race discrimination." Now you might say that all race discrimination is racism, but clearly not all racism is race discrimination. And since the courts are focused on the discrimination part, they just don't care whether something is or isn't racist.

It is not at all uncommon for members of an ethnic group to taunt other members using derogatory language. For instance, redneck and hillbilly are derogatory terms that white people apply to other white people. Gay people, to my knowledge, don't commonly use the f word either ironically or not, but it does happen both ways and there are court cases about it.

In the underrated and too-quickly-forgotten film He Got Game (written and directed by Spike Lee, starring Denzel and Ray Allen), right after the climax of the movie, Denzel's character tells his son (Ray Allen) that "you best get that hate out of your heart, son, or you're going to end up just another n*, just like your father" and the n word has a hard r. It was clearly meant to have a derogatory meaning. It was in that moment directed inwardly but the language was used.

This Essence article gives a few more details. Southwest is being sued by three other black employees for the same thing.

"Pitts isn’t the only former Southwest employee who’s accused the airline of racial discrimination. Matern Law Group, the law firm Pitts hired, is representing three other Black ramp agents with similar claims."

So no answer? It is a tough question and I certainly don't have an answer which is why I think SWA is going to lose. I guess memes might work on a message board when you don't have a good argument but I have my doubts they are admissible for these two lawsuits.

Last edited:
So no answer? It is a tough question and I certainly don't have an answer which is why I think SWA is going to lose. I guess memes might work on a message board when you don't have a good argument but I have my doubts they are admissible for these two lawsuits.
No, you're just clueless and no since arguing with a brick wall.

I've already pointed out an example that answers your question. You are smart enough to know this.

Do you have superiffic on ignore? Not trying to be snarky I swear, but he explained this in great detail twice.

Do you have superiffic on ignore? Not trying to be snarky I swear, but he explained this in great detail twice.

I use the eyeball ignore method for him. I used to argue with him but we would just get nasty with each other and I didn't want to be like that. Then he started talking about his divorce and losing his job and his struggles with mental illnesses and now his sick relative that was going to keep him from posting and I felt sorry for him. I didn't want to pile on.

So usually I'll read the first sentence or two, ignore the other 6 paragraphs, but never respond. I might respond to someone else making the same point. In this case. I would ask again. What would make this a hostile workplace if it wasn't racist? And you can't claim anything the victim doesn't like and complains about. It would need to be hostile to a jury... Like a racial slur.

Last edited:
I use the eyeball ignore method for him. I used to argue with him but we would just get nasty with each other and I didn't want to be like that. Then he started talking about his divorce and losing his job and his struggles with mental illnesses and now his sick relative that was going to keep him from posting and I felt sorry for him. I didn't want to pile on.

So usually I'll read the first sentence or two, ignore the other 6 paragraphs, but never respond. I might respond to someone else making the same point. In this case. I would ask again. What would make this a hostile workplace if it wasn't racist? And you can't claim anything the victim doesn't like and complains about. It would need to be hostile to a jury... Like a racial slur.
I suppose I would say that you can create a hostile work environment by calling someone names that aren’t racially motivated, and this would be no different.

I suppose I would say that you can create a hostile work environment by calling someone names that aren’t racially motivated, and this would be no different.

I would agree that you can create a hostile work environment by calling someone names but the names would have to be somewhat offensive. Calling someone buddy or dude, even if the person that it's directed at doesn't really like it, probably wouldn't rise to the level of a hostile workplace. But calling someone an n- is almost certainly going to rise to that hostile workplace level if the person receiving the slur doesn't like it.

So what's the difference? It's not that the person its directed at doesn't like it. And it's not the race of the person who said the word. If a black guy or a white guy called you dude, you're not going to get a whole lot of juries thinking it's a hostile workplace. So the more likely explanation is that n- is racist no matter who says it.

I would agree that you can create a hostile work environment by calling someone names but the names would have to be somewhat offensive. Calling someone buddy or dude, even if the person that it's directed at doesn't really like it, probably wouldn't rise to the level of a hostile workplace. But calling someone an n- is almost certainly going to rise to that hostile workplace level if the person receiving the slur doesn't like it.

So what's the difference? It's not that the person its directed at doesn't like it. And it's not the race of the person who said the word. If a black guy or a white guy called you dude, you're not going to get a whole lot of juries thinking it's a hostile workplace. So the more likely explanation is that n- is racist no matter who says it.
Once again, do you think calling someone "bitch" after they asked you not to would elevate it to that level? Do you think that is a racially motivated word?

I'm fairly certain you're just trolling now, because you are smart enough to know the answer, via examples, to your question.

Once again, do you think calling someone "bitch" after they asked you not to would elevate it to that level? Do you think that is a racially motivated word?

I'm fairly certain you're just trolling now, because you are smart enough to know the answer, via examples, to your question.
Stankey,

Were you on the now deceased ZZL-Politics?

If you weren’t, you are just beginning to experience yellowjacket’s “contrarianism.”

Back