Teamsters will withhold endorsement

gtyellowjacket

Distinguished Member
That hurts. After getting a historic contract at UPS, largely due to Biden support, and some great contracts at ABinbev and the Red Cross, the Teamsters decline to endorse either candidate. The union has said that a large majority of their membership support Trump. Ouch.

We need some changes to our platform.

That hurts. After getting a historic contract at UPS, largely due to Biden support, and some great contracts at ABinbev and the Red Cross, the Teamsters decline to endorse either candidate. The union has said that a large majority of their membership support Trump. Ouch.

We need some changes to our platform.

Trump is not shy about being anti-union. I just don't understand this. Is it ignorance? Tribalism? Someone make it make sense please. I'm starting to think maybe Trump is correct when he says we are a nation in decline. This election shouldn't even be close. WTF.

Trump is not shy about being anti-union. I just don't understand this. Is it ignorance? Tribalism? Someone make it make sense please. I'm starting to think maybe Trump is correct when he says we are a nation in decline. This election shouldn't even be close. WTF.
I suspect it's immigration. Polls say that immigration is consistently the biggest issue for Republicans and I would guess that these truckers are seeing a fair amount of Hispanics at the truck stops.

This is a big problem for Harris if it extends to the UAW. Feels like Hillary Clinton when she wasn't able to connect with the working class voters. That's a lot of votes in some key States.

1726746860026.png

It isn't "economic anxiety" (translation: racism)?
I think it's jobs. You could translate that to Hispanics driving trucks or gas prices or not getting enough loads. Even if it is racism for some of them, those people vote And the majority of people Dad don't think they're racists don't like being called racist. Calling the majority of your potential electorate racist isn't a position that drives a lot of votes.

I suspect it's immigration. Polls say that immigration is consistently the biggest issue for Republicans and I would guess that these truckers are seeing a fair amount of Hispanics at the truck stops.
Which, to be clear, Trump will just rant about.... maybe try some extreme policy which won't be well thought out nor be effective.

I don't know why people who know he's full of shit take anything he says seriously.

Which, to be clear, Trump will just rant about.... maybe try some extreme policy which won't be well thought out nor be effective.

I don't know why people who know he's full of shit take anything he says seriously.
Its probably because he can get a lot of people to vote for him and in the case of Republican politicians, can make or break them in the primaries.

According to conversations online, younger Teamster members didn’t participate in the straw polls that took place after hours when the workforce had already returned home. The straw poll skewed older, leaning more conservative.

It appears the feedback surrounding the purpose of the straw pole wasn’t clear.

Given the response of the joint councils support of Harris, I suspect this is another play by Sean to cozy up with Trump.

Look to him getting replaced in 2026 when this effort fails.

I think it's jobs. You could translate that to Hispanics driving trucks or gas prices or not getting enough loads. Even if it is racism for some of them, those people vote And the majority of people Dad don't think they're racists don't like being called racist. Calling the majority of your potential electorate racist isn't a position that drives a lot of votes.
Jobs? Is unemployment abnormally high for truck drivers?

Jobs? Is unemployment abnormally high for truck drivers?
I have no idea. I just know that polls consistently put the economy as the number one or number two issue for Republicans. I'm going to assume that extends to the subset of teamsters who support Trump over Harris.

That could be inflation or jobs or I guess even immigration but to just dismiss it as racism is a great way to lose voters.

Back