Teamsters will withhold endorsement

I'd be surprised with the amount of in home shopping since Covid started. I'd have thought anyone with a valid CDL would be driving.
Truckers are killing it. My company spends $7-8mm/year in long haul and cross dock shipping. Rates have exploded, and it's hard to even get trucks at certain hours/on certain days. Now, telemetry has been the driving force as truckers can no longer fudge the 12 on/10 off, so the industry has 'lost' some capacity. Also, the fear of driverless shipping probably put a chill in the demand for CDLs, though I think the reality that automated trucks are farther off than they seemed has moderated this recently.

Anyway, it ain't 'economic anxiety'.

I think your percentages are off. Sticking our head in the sand isn't going to work.

1726748570989.png
Read the fine print there. Polling conducted July 24-Sept 15. That's garbage. It literally means nothing to poll over that broad a time frame. And from what I understand, participation in the poll was voluntary, and the Teamsters can't adjust their samples the way pollsters can. All of these factors makes that number worthless.

AND, even if that's true, so what? That's going to be baked into the political polling numbers we see, unless for some reason Teamsters are woefully under-represented in the polling samples. Since many polls try to balance based on union membership (or at least sanity check with it), I don't think that's going to be a big effect.

That's one way to look at it. Maybe it's the right way. I don't know enough to have an opinion.

I can say at least that there's a different way of looking at it. O'Brien knew that the local councils can make their own endorsements, and would make them. So that would blunt the impact in the states that matter (since Teamsters in the Rust Belt states have all come out to endorse KH since). But there is value to the Teamsters organization, and to unions specifically, in being seen as politically neutral. It's harder to organize a bargaining unit in, say, Alabama if the people in Alabama think that the Teamsters hate them, are all dirty liberals, hate Trump, etc.

O'Brien seems pretty smart to me. Again, I could be wrong, and I don't know much here. But based on my impression, I'm willing to cut him slack and assume my alternate scenario is at least part of his calculation -- at least until I see proof otherwise.

Danna Bash had O’Brien on Inside Politics today.

Couldn’t give a good answer when asked why no support for Harris, despite Admin’s record…basically just “both sides need to do more”. Tapdanced around when asked about Trump’s poor record. Said AOC needed to mind her business and take care of her job, and not worry about how he does his.

Charming guy.

Let's take "politics" out of the equation--

Everything, everywhere is like 'The Sopranos' or 'Game of Thrones'- everyone is a sociopath- out to get theirs- and take yours.

Danna Bash had O’Brien on Inside Politics today.

Couldn’t give a good answer when asked why no support for Harris, despite Admin’s record…basically just “both sides need to do more”. Tapdanced around when asked about Trump’s poor record. Said AOC needed to mind her business and take care of her job, and not worry about how he does his.
That's not unfair with respect to AOC, except possibly for the singling out of AOC. I mean, she has no idea what his job entails. And as I said above, there are sound reasons to do what he did -- at least what look like sound reasons from afar. Whether those were his actual reasons, I don't know. I just don't think this is the big deal everyone is making it out to be. The regional councils have all endorsed. Arguably that's more important in our electoral college system.

Also, I have a bit of a soft spot for O'Brien because of the way he baited that idiot OK Senator, Mullin, to start a physical alteration in the middle of a Senate hearing. One of my best Bernie memories is him telling Markwayne Mullin that "You're a United States Senator. Behave like it."

That's not unfair with respect to AOC, except possibly for the singling out of AOC. I mean, she has no idea what his job entails. And as I said above, there are sound reasons to do what he did -- at least what look like sound reasons from afar. Whether those were his actual reasons, I don't know. I just don't think this is the big deal everyone is making it out to be. The regional councils have all endorsed. Arguably that's more important in our electoral college system.

Also, I have a bit of a soft spot for O'Brien because of the way he baited that idiot OK Senator, Mullin, to start a physical alteration in the middle of a Senate hearing. One of my best Bernie memories is him telling Markwayne Mullin that "You're a United States Senator. Behave like it."
Just to give some context, he didn’t really single AOC out. Danna asked specifically about a comment AOC made about the Dem party being the one that always stood up for Labor first, and that was the Cliff Notes version of his response.

Seems to me most of my life the Teamster top Dogs inevitably go to prison for grifting the various Teamster strike funds etc.......Say like orangeturd is their Hero

I've wondered for quite a while if endorsements from labor unions, teacher unions, NAACP, NRA etc. really matter that much. Everyone is their own man/woman when they get in the voting booth.

I've wondered for quite a while if endorsements from labor unions, teacher unions, NAACP, NRA etc. really matter that much. Everyone is their own man/woman when they get in the voting booth.
Historically anyway...it means the Unions endorsing them pour get out the vote volunteers in the community That helps
I know a retired Air traffic controller who is being paid by the Union to work the in Minneapolis to support Harris

Back