THE Drinking Thread

Baba O’Riley

ZZL Supporter
Ok, so I barely post and have never started a thread before, so be gentle with me. The "Border Wall is no longer Racist" thread got me to thinkin' that I'm going to take it as a personal challenge to lose more brain cells this weekend drinking than I did reading that thread. Don't think it's possible but I'm going to try.

I was a long-time bourbon drinker before it became trendy. Mostly a decent bourbon with ginger ale because I like the sting of the bourbon and the light sweetness of the ginger ale.

This weekend at my sister's lake house in the Georgia heat, I plan on drinking ice-cold beer (probably an I.P.A. and then something simple like a Yuengling) and then switch to a smokey Old-Fashioned in the evening. I make mine with Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye, smoked, with muddled Luxardo cherries.

The possibility that I'm going to run into more ridiculously stupid, political rhetoric this weekend is high, so either I'll bite my tongue (which I usually do) or I'll go off on a rant. I don't seem to have a middle ground which is part of the reason I don't post much.

Anyway, Happy Labor Day weekend and please share any drinks that you think others may like. Oh, and Go Heels!

I hardly ever drink during the week, but have decided to take off from work on Nov 6, and get fairly hammered the night of the election as I watch the returns. Figure it’ll either be a celebration or one last hurrah toast to the end of a good run at democracy.

I usually chase whiskey with ginger ale unless it’s top shelf/expensive, when I just do it neat.

Rum I do with Coke Zero.

Vodka I do with orange or pineapple juice.

For beer, I’m an IPA fan. Not a big fan of stouts or porters, but when I do them it’s usually winter. For mass produced American light beer, consumed in large quantities on a hot summer day, I’ll usually go with Coors.

I’m heading to Amelia Island Fla for the weekend. For this time of the year, I enjoy:

Beers: Tucker - Georgia Red and Lazy Magnolia - Southern Pecan. These can be purchased at Atlanta Publix stores

My afternoon/early evening drink is a crisp gin and tonic with Bristow gin and a high quality tonic.

This weekend at my sister's lake house in the Georgia heat, I plan on drinking ice-cold beer (probably an I.P.A. and then something simple like a Yuengling) and then switch to a smokey Old-Fashioned in the evening. I make mine with Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye, smoked, with muddled Luxardo cherries.

The possibility that I'm going to run into more ridiculously stupid, political rhetoric this weekend is high, so either I'll bite my tongue (which I usually do) or I'll go off on a rant. I don't seem to have a middle ground which is part of the reason I don't post much.
Considering that first paragraph, I'm going with "I'll go off on a rant," esp. as the day progresses...

I usually stick to red wine these days, but when I do drink liquor it's usually scotch, neat. Margarita's work too, but only with fresh limes, never store bought mix. If I'm somewhere with a nice liquor selection that specializes in mixed drinks, I'll try something off the menu that catches my eye. I also make a mean mojito. One or two beers here and there rounds out the picture...

My faher (not a heavy drinker; 1 or 2 at most after work) turned me on to single malt scotch. In the late 60s the ABC stores started carrying Glenfiddich. For many years it was the only single malt available. When my dad would travel for work he'd hunt down liquor stores and bring back 'exotic' scotch. Good stuff.

My beer of choice is Red Oak. Picked up some Foothills Pumpkin Ale this week.
Red Oak's stuff is really good - especially their seasonal stuff.

Figure I'll have the game on tonight, but I won't break out any of the good stuff. I might follow MountainH33l's lead with the OGD 114.

I spit out the first IPA I tried. Now it is my beer of choice. Two Hearted Ale, Pernicious, Jai Alai, Elysian Space Dust, Lil Sumpin….. keep em coming. I can still tolerate a good lager, porter or stout, but the light beers that are the best sellers in the US are little more than piss precursors.

As for the hard stuff, I am coming down from my bourbon journey (still love my bourbon, but after trying a shit ton of bourbons I have come to the conclusion that they all taste like bourbon) and now venturing into single malt Scotch (non-peated) and more recently, American single malts.

I also discovered Old Fashions on a recent river cruise. Top tier!

Last edited:
During the game tonight, I’ll be drinking vodka with whatever juice I can find, probably cranberry.

I spit out the first IPA I tried. Now it is my beer of choice. Two Hearted Ale, Pernicious, Jai Alai, Elysian Space Dust, Lil Sumpin….. keep em coming. I can still tolerate a good lager, port or stout, but the light beers that are the best sellers in the US are little more than piss precursors.

As for the hard stuff, I am coming down from my bourbon journey (still love my bourbon, but after trying a shit ton of bourbons I have come to the conclusion that they all taste like bourbon) and now venturing into single malt Scotch (non-peated) and more recently, American single malts.

I also discovered Old Fashions on a recent river cruise. Top tier!
I am also an Old Fashion fan.

I've gone 6 months without touching liquor or beer. Just some occasional red wine. Just something I needed to do.

Still bourbon would be my choice. along with vodka/juice and rum/diet coke. Beers are Red Oak, Blue Moon, and Sam Adams. Haven't done the mass produced stuff in years. Well, I guess my list is mass produced, but not the basic watered down American beer.

Question for the Scotch folks. Are there different types? I tried a Cuttey Sark Scotch years ago and HATED it. I know that is a low tier generic brand. But it tasted like licorice, and I hate licorice. Does all scotch taste that way? Yuck!

Back