• Thread starter Thread starter TarSpiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 260
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
0525461F-F582-4147-AF8F-CC9DA093B27F.jpeg
D53A9B9D-885C-43A8-88F0-0151FEE8CC2F.jpeg

Katsu curry
What'd you use for the sauce? I use those golden curry blocks sometimes, but otherwise I've never made the Japanese curry sauces from scratch.

Fun fact about the word katsu that I learned the other day: the word katsu comes from the word cutlet in English. The Japanese borrowed the word, japanese-ified it, and English speakers then borrowed it back as a new word, katsu.

What'd you use for the sauce? I use those golden curry blocks sometimes, but otherwise I've never made the Japanese curry sauces from scratch.

Fun fact about the word katsu that I learned the other day: the word katsu comes from the word cutlet in English. The Japanese borrowed the word, japanese-ified it, and English speakers then borrowed it back as a new word, katsu.

Just those pre-made curry cubes

Flavor was 90% the same as the Japanese place I normally order from but mine was missing something I can't quite put my finger on

It did seem somewhat less sweet. I just mixed with water and did not cook down with carrots/potatoes so maybe that's it

Just those pre-made curry cubes

Flavor was 90% the same as the Japanese place I normally order from but mine was missing something I can't quite put my finger on

It did seem somewhat less sweet. I just mixed with water and did not cook down with carrots/potatoes so maybe that's it
Try a little lemongrass, maybe?

Celebrating the 1-2-3-4 cake batter, one of the first recipes I learned from my grandmother as a kid.

I made this tonight. Jupiter

It turned out well.

I also made Garlic and turmeric rice. It turned out very well.

Timing was perfect, everything came off together and did a nice job of cleaning as I went, so there was almost no clean up after.

I did add some onions to the chicken, so I could practice.

Celebrating the 1-2-3-4 cake batter, one of the first recipes I learned from my grandmother as a kid.

These old tried and true recipes for basic baked goods are indeed simple to remember because of the repetitive measurements like 1,2,3,4.
For instance: Cuppa, cuppa, cuppa cobbler
Or a basic pound cake, made of exactly 1 pound of each of the 4 ingredients. Of course, that’s how it got its name.

“… and did a nice job of cleaning as I went, so there was almost no clean up after.”
You’d make a nice addition to any restaurant kitchen.
Keep your station clean and neat and your chef will stay off your arse.
Especially with the added benefit of your “… timing was perfect and everything came off together.”

Kenji's black bean burger recipe is top notch. Second time I've made it. A few modifications here and there but it's a good technique.

Made that with some buffalo cauliflower tonight. Big hit and I have 8 more patties that are either in the fridge or frozen

1000020443.jpg

I made this tonight. Jupiter

It turned out well.

I also made Garlic and turmeric rice. It turned out very well.

Timing was perfect, everything came off together and did a nice job of cleaning as I went, so there was almost no clean up after.

I did add some onions to the chicken, so I could practice.
Did anything stain orange/yellow? Wife did a bunch of stuff with turmeric nubs/root one time and half the kitchen was stained. The stainless knife was even stained.

So good. I can heartily recommend these packaged noodles. Dirt cheap and better than almost any of the new “premium” packaged noodle offerings. I like to add on, in this case baby bokchoy, shrimp, and shrimp balls.
1726601644280.jpeg
Does anyone else share a packaged noodles obsession?
All in on noodles. Were the shrimps balls discernible?

So good. I can heartily recommend these packaged noodles. Dirt cheap and better than almost any of the new “premium” packaged noodle offerings. I like to add on, in this case baby bokchoy, shrimp, and shrimp balls.
1726601644280.jpeg
Does anyone else share a packaged noodles obsession?
We use packaged noodles for ramen bowls. We normally add a meat, fried egg, baby boc choy, kale, mushrooms, and other items depending on what we have around the kitchen.

I really want to learn to make pasta and noodles.

Back