The Foodie Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter TarSpiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 261
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
Where’s the recipe?!
Sorry, I tune in and out. Here's the recipe from my cookbook. Will make for a great send-off to summer, if you're in to the whole seasonal ingredients thing.

Blueberry Lemon Shortcakes with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
The interaction of the blueberry and the lemon is a wondrous event, should you not yet know. Whenever this event unfolds within the soft caress of the shortcake, then true love is what you find underneath its golden arches. Introduce cream cheese whipped cream, and it’s a wedding blessed by Heaven.

Shortcake Ingredients:
3 2/3 cup fresh blueberries, divided (only 2/3 cup for the shortcakes; rest for serving as side)
2 cups self-rising flour (more for dusting)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup buttermilk (extra if needed)
1 egg
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp plus of fresh lemon juice
1 ¾ tsp lemon zest, divided

Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Ingredients:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
¾ cup cold heavy whipping cream
2 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Equipment:
8-well wedge pan
Baking spray
Stand mixer with beating attachment
1 x large mixing bowl
2 x small mixing bowls

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray wedge pan with baking spray and dust with flour.

In your large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, and 1 tsp lemon zest till combined. Cut in cold butter, 2 tbsp at a time, until mixture is crumbly. Carefully stir in ¾ cup of blueberries, forming a well in the center.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk buttermilk, vanilla extract, and egg until combined. Pour buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until dough becomes sticky. (It may be necessary to add another tbsp or two of buttermilk.)

Dust a surface and your hands with additional flour. Pat dough on the surface until it forms a 7” wide disc. Cut into 8 wedges, just as you would cut a pizza. Place individual wedges into each well of your pan, pressing them in place as you do so.

Bake for around 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Gently cut cakes out of wells and place on to a wire rack for 30 minutes.

In another small bowl, add powdered sugar, lemon juice, and remaining lemon zest. Whisk until combined. Use this glaze to drizzle over the cakes.

Serve with remaining blueberries and cream cheese whipped cream.

NOTE: To make whipped cream, beat cream cheese in mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add cream, vanilla, and sugar. Continue to beat at medium speed until mixture thickens. Turn mixer to high speed until peaks begin to form.

My Southern Gothic, as I call it. I grew up on a cotton farm near the South Carolina border. So we have sorghum ribs with roasted cauliflower. "Cow on a Cotton House," as I call them. Red bean dirty rice. Black garlic grits with parsley. Fried green tomatoes. And my pickled peppered okra with collards.

Spicy. Sweet and savory. And some deep fry. Southern as it gets!

Hell of a meal!

Southern Gothic 2.jpg

My Chicago Style Calabash Po' Boys. With Remoulade sauce. Chicago, Cajun, Carolina. Alliterative! Great mix of flavors! Great sandwich.

Chicago Style 1.jpgChicago Style 2.jpg

Sorry, I tune in and out. Here's the recipe from my cookbook. Will make for a great send-off to summer, if you're in to the whole seasonal ingredients thing.

Blueberry Lemon Shortcakes with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
The interaction of the blueberry and the lemon is a wondrous event, should you not yet know. Whenever this event unfolds within the soft caress of the shortcake, then true love is what you find underneath its golden arches. Introduce cream cheese whipped cream, and it’s a wedding blessed by Heaven.

Shortcake Ingredients:
3 2/3 cup fresh blueberries, divided (only 2/3 cup for the shortcakes; rest for serving as side)
2 cups self-rising flour (more for dusting)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup buttermilk (extra if needed)
1 egg
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp plus of fresh lemon juice
1 ¾ tsp lemon zest, divided

Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Ingredients:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
¾ cup cold heavy whipping cream
2 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Equipment:
8-well wedge pan
Baking spray
Stand mixer with beating attachment
1 x large mixing bowl
2 x small mixing bowls

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray wedge pan with baking spray and dust with flour.

In your large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, and 1 tsp lemon zest till combined. Cut in cold butter, 2 tbsp at a time, until mixture is crumbly. Carefully stir in ¾ cup of blueberries, forming a well in the center.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk buttermilk, vanilla extract, and egg until combined. Pour buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until dough becomes sticky. (It may be necessary to add another tbsp or two of buttermilk.)

Dust a surface and your hands with additional flour. Pat dough on the surface until it forms a 7” wide disc. Cut into 8 wedges, just as you would cut a pizza. Place individual wedges into each well of your pan, pressing them in place as you do so.

Bake for around 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Gently cut cakes out of wells and place on to a wire rack for 30 minutes.

In another small bowl, add powdered sugar, lemon juice, and remaining lemon zest. Whisk until combined. Use this glaze to drizzle over the cakes.

Serve with remaining blueberries and cream cheese whipped cream.

NOTE: To make whipped cream, beat cream cheese in mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add cream, vanilla, and sugar. Continue to beat at medium speed until mixture thickens. Turn mixer to high speed until peaks begin to form.

Oh I'm making this. This sounds incredible.

Don't know if anyone has tried these flatiron pepper flakes yet, but they're definitely a step up from the standard red pepper flakes...

1725717672594.png

Any advice on stovetop or oven roasting a big top sirloin steak? We usually do ribeyes and they have a lot more fat. Found what looks like a great recipe with a long sear on both sides then basting with butter and rosemary, all on the stovetop in cast iron, it just looks like it will be smoky as hell, which is a drawback in an NYC apartment.

Breakfast/brunch is ground bison (cooked in frying pan) with basmati, sautéed spinach and "egg loaf" (butter, eggs, bacon baked in oven), with cheese.
What in the world do you do with bison and basmati? Sounds interesting! And what is an "egg loaf"? I have a Moroccan tagine chicken meal I do with basmati. Roast almonds with cinnamon and butter. Add raisins and cilantro. But that's just the rice.

Speaking of bison. My stuffed bison meatloaf (trying not to annoy you all with my photos; lol):

Bison meatloaf.jpg

Any advice on stovetop or oven roasting a big top sirloin steak? We usually do ribeyes and they have a lot more fat. Found what looks like a great recipe with a long sear on both sides then basting with butter and rosemary, all on the stovetop in cast iron, it just looks like it will be smoky as hell, which is a drawback in an NYC apartment.
Please, I insist that you continue to post photos.

As someone who's dinner tonight is going to be jasmine rice that I buy in a packet and microwave for 90 seconds and then combine with pieces of rotisserie chicken from the same grocery store, it gives me hope that my life will one day consist of meals like yours.

I'm in an apartment as well, and when I sear, the smoke alarms typically go off. But I write it off as local flavor. And besides, other apartments rock out late at night on the weekends. So who cares! Just turn some tunes on or an old Hitchcock film and have fun.

I cook almost exclusively with cast iron. I've not done yet what you're asking about, but my recommendation is to sear 2-3 minutes per side and bast after rotation. Damn the torpedoes. Have your oven preheated to 325-350, if you're patient enough. And depending on the weight of your sirloin, let it go between 20-45 minutes. Depending on weight, check it at time you think relevant. If it's a particularly heavy cut, sear a bit longer and turn oven up to 400.

It should provide you with that great charred texture but tender inside.

Back