The Foodie Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter TarSpiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 261
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
I went down to the Virgin Islands about 10 years ago and went snorkeling or from local food picked up H. pylori. Came back and took some meds and seemed like everything was fine in like a matter of hours. 10 years later and I've been diagnosed with gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) and my stomach problems have been such a pain in the ass for years now. All because of one little bacteria. Probably.

Point being I am eating the blandest diet at the moment because my stomachs been giving me problems lately. I'm so jealous of people who get to eat garlic and fried food and drink coffee!

*sigh*

I went down to the Virgin Islands about 10 years ago and went snorkeling or from local food picked up H. pylori. Came back and took some meds and seemed like everything was fine in like a matter of hours. 10 years later and I've been diagnosed with gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) and my stomach problems have been such a pain in the ass for years now. All because of one little bacteria. Probably.

Point being I am eating the blandest diet at the moment because my stomachs been giving me problems lately. I'm so jealous of people who get to eat garlic and fried food and drink coffee!

*sigh*
Oh geez. That sounds like my worst nightmare. So sorry to hear that.

*sigh*
Dude! I hate that for you. My wife suffers from something like this. Not necessarily exactly, as she can still eat garlic/drink coffee etc. but she has to eat early in the evening / late afternoon or she’s in trouble that night. She has to eat bland everything if it’s much after 6pm. Her acid reflux can be terrible at times. I get a little acid reflux too if I eat too much and/or too spicey late at night.

PRO TIP:
“Get your Meez on” or:
“Mise en Place” (meez ahn plahs)
It’s a French culinary term for “everything in place”. Basically it means gather ALL ingredients, kitchen tools, cookware, etc. you will need to prepare a dish or recipe, and get it all into one place. No matter what the recipe calls for, get it out of the pantry or refrigerator and place it in one area on the kitchen counter. Everything. Even the pots, pans, skillet, knives, rolling pin… whatever. Find it in your kitchen and get it out, ready to roll. Do NOT start making the dish until you have EVERYTHING you will need out, and readily available at your fingertips.

This makes things go more smoothly, more quickly AND it also is a way to double check that you have everything (all ingredients) you will need to finish the dish. The last thing you want to do is start making something, get half way through, only to realize you don’t have but one egg in the fridge and the recipe calls for 3. Or it calls for 1 cup of red wine and your damn wife drank the last of the only bottle last night.

This also means go ahead and chop, dice, mince, separate the egg yolk from the white, measure out the exact amounts of “whatever” and have it all in separate, small containers on the kitchen counter, ready to toss into the pot or pan when it’s called for. Don’t start the cooking process and get the sauté pan and oil smoking hot, only to then start peeling and dicing the onion. The oil starts smoking, burning, getting bitter, ruining the bottom of the pan before you can even get the onions in there. The damn onion should have already been prepped BEFORE you turned on the stove top!1723458654281.png

Get you “meez” on BEFORE you begin!

Nice veggie recipe I've made a few times now. I like getting the schmancy mushrooms at the farmers market usually, but tonight's were from trader Joe's. No complaints

I like to finish the mushrooms with a splash of dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin, and chili oil, or some combo like that right before I take them off the heat. A little extra flavor/color.

Added a tomatillo/fish pepper relish because I needed to use them, but it was a nice addition

1000019280.jpg

Attachments

• 1000019280.jpg
    1000019280.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 0
Cool topic. This is not fair since I have not tried it. But the first post and recipe for chili throws me for a loop. 4 cans of beans but hardly any tomato? Doesn't even sound like chili.

I am more like nyc. I read recipes for things I like as a general idea, but experiment and create on the fly. So no real recipes to contribute. I will say a great Jambalaya can't be beat in Fall or winter. The base is the key, a really good rice like jasmine rice, simmering all Ingredients and spices in chicken stock, you can't go wrong no matter how you create, or how hot you prefer with creole/Cajun seasoning and tabasco.

Google Pooles Diner mac and cheese recipe. Pretty dang good

I finally got around to making this tonight, and it was fantastic.

My wife is pretty picky, but she loved it & told me that I should make it regularly on her PMS schedule.

Anyways, thank you very much for this great easy recipe.

Last edited:
I finally got around to making this tonight, and it was fantastic.

My wife is pretty picky, but she loved it & told me that I should make it regularly on her PMS schedule.

Anyways, thank you very much for this great easy recipe.
Did you broil it as instructed?

This was one of the ones I made a few weeks ago. It was by far the best, but I didn't broil it, I baked it in one dish.

At the advise of @Centerpiece I purchased a starter set of Henckels knives and have been working on my knife skills.

My daughter and I made a soup tonight. I sliced and diced the onion, carrots, potatoes, basil, broccoli, and peppers. On a scale of 1 to 10, my knife skills are up to about a -2, but they are improving. 😁

At the advise of @Centerpiece I purchased a starter set of Henckels knives and have been working on my knife skills.

My daughter and I made a soup tonight. I sliced and diced the onion, carrots, potatoes, basil, broccoli, and peppers. On a scale of 1 to 10, my knife skills are up to about a -2, but they are improving. 😁
Keep the knives sharp (hope you got the handheld knife sharpener that goes with the Henckels set) Learn to hold chef’s knife properly (loads of videos on that) and with the other hand, keep the “claw grip” fingers curled under and KEEP YOUR DAMN THUMB TUCKED IN. (Learned this the hard way, a gin tonic didn’t help matters).

Try to keep each veggie cut a consistent size. Example: Don’t have large chunks of potato with small bits of potatoes. They won’t cook evenly.

I've gotten really into pesto lately and apparently I've been missing out because I'm not using a mortar and pestle/molcajete.

I am one of those people who likes to buy the high end range of whatever when I am getting into something, which of course shows I have poor financial sense considering the student loans I still have that could purchase a 2020 Toyota Camry.

Anyone here make pesto via this method and can recommend an elbow grease vehicle? I'm a big fan of the website Serious Eats and the one they recommend for pesto is $319 ordered off Etsy, absurd, or a $100 molcajete which given I would use for decades isn't horrible but still pretty pricey..

I've gotten really into pesto lately and apparently I've been missing out because I'm not using a mortar and pestle/molcajete.

I am one of those people who likes to buy the high end range of whatever when I am getting into something, which of course shows I have poor financial sense considering the student loans I still have that could purchase a 2020 Toyota Camry.

Anyone here make pesto via this method and can recommend an elbow grease vehicle? I'm a big fan of the website Serious Eats and the one they recommend for pesto is $319 ordered off Etsy, absurd, or a $100 molcajete which given I would use for decades isn't horrible but still pretty pricey..
I have a mortar and pestle similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Mortar-Granite-Guacamole-Grinder-Crusher/dp/B08839KBH1 that I love and use frequently.

However I think I once saw a reference to some mortar and pestle somewhere that was found to be made of unacceptably radioactive rock, and now every time I use it I idlely wonder about how radioactive mine is! :D

Last edited:
Did you broil it as instructed?

This was one of the ones I made a few weeks ago. It was by far the best, but I didn't broil it, I baked it in one dish.

Yea, I broiled it. It made a nice brown crust on the top. I don't think it would have made all that much difference if I hadn't broiled it, but it was pretty easy, took about 6 or 7 minutes to get it a nice color.

Pesto is better with a mortar and pestle but I still find myself using a food processor more often than not. Always used for guacamole and salsas though

The masienda molcajete is nice but definitely not necessary to spend that much. I got tired of shopping around and being unsatisfied with cheaper ones

Pesto is better with a mortar and pestle but I still find myself using a food processor more often than not. Always used for guacamole and salsas though

The masienda molcajete is nice but definitely not necessary to spend that much. I got tired of shopping around and being unsatisfied with cheaper ones

I'm tempted to buy the Masienda one given your semi-recommendation. But, I'm really tempted to splurge for the $319 marble mortar and pestle after watching these Michelin star chefs make it ha.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm tempted to buy the Masienda one given your semi-recommendation. But, I'm really tempted to splurge for the $319 marble mortar and pestle after watching these Michelin star chefs make it ha.

Thanks for the feedback.

Have you read about the orgin of the Michelin stars? Ever wondered why a tire company rates restaurants?

A basic gist:
1 star worth eating there if you are near.
2 stars worth going out of your way to eat there.
3 stars worth planning a trip so you can eat there.

Back