The Foodie Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter TarSpiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 261
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
Speaking of financially sensible, I’ll be adding a tortilla press that is nicer than one would reasonably need, sometime soon

Only one place near me that makes fresh tortillas and they are expensive and decent at best
I'll take this as a reminder to use mine soon, it's been awhile. Definitely makes a huge difference over anything store bought though.

However, after one or two 9pm dinners that occured shortly after the purchase of my tortilla press, I've been banned from using it for any weeknight meals.

I recall an show with Alton Brown talking about knives. He played the Ginsu commercial where they cut through a can laughed and said that a knife is not for cutting cans, so it doesn't matter if you can do that with it.

I looked up the knives he recommends, but they come with a lifetime payment plan and I'm not ready for that yet. 😁

This past weekend, at my mothers, I found a pretty nice knife. I bet it had never been sharpened. Sharpened it for a while and it did very well in cutting the brussels sprouts and steak.
I've been using Forschner chef's and paring knives for years. They are stamped and not forged but do a more than adequate job for an affordable price. They certainly are better than my knife skills.

Separate question. Are you making these cheese grits from scratch? I love shrimp and grits, but my wife doesn't like shrimp. I wonder if I could make a chicken version?
While the shrimp flavor and texture is really important to great shrimp and grits, you could absolutely do something delicious with chicken. I’d try to sneak a fairly strong flavor into the sauce, though — maybe a tablespoon of oyster sauce. You might be able to avoid that if you’re using Tasso or andouille along with the chicken.

Separate question. Are you making these cheese grits from scratch? I love shrimp and grits, but my wife doesn't like shrimp. I wonder if I could make a chicken version?
Also, I’m a huge outlier on this, but I personally don’t think the quality of the grits is that important. Don’t use instant ever. But the Quaker “old fashioned” grits are fine for most things, including shrimp and grits. You just have to cook them low and slow, and add a lot of cream (or half and half) and butter. If you do it right, the difference between those and stone ground is negligible.

I'll take this as a reminder to use mine soon, it's been awhile. Definitely makes a huge difference over anything store bought though.

However, after one or two 9pm dinners that occured shortly after the purchase of my tortilla press, I've been banned from using it for any weeknight meals.

Yeah, I’m noticing more often than not that tortillas are the weakest link when making tacos

Even the fresher made ones are a few days old normally by the time I use them. Nothing like truly fresh tortillas

It should be simple enough, just need to think through work flow a bit

Made a few of my favorite low effort-high flavor meals this past weekend

Filipino chicken adobo and garlic rice (sinangag). Braised chicken legs in soy sauce/vinegar + lots of garlic and black pepper. And sliced garlic fried til crisp and stir fried with leftover white rice

And cacio e pepe, which seems to have taken off in popularity in recent years. A bunch of fresh grated pecorino + black pepper with bucatini

Maybe 8 ingredients in total

Unfortunately, sugar is added to a ton of things bought off the shelves - not just because of the added sweetness - but because it extends shelf life. Both salt and sugar help arrest bacterial growth.

All the more reason to avoid too much store bought stuff and cook more from scratch as stankeyleg suggests.

Made a few of my favorite low effort-high flavor meals this past weekend

Filipino chicken adobo and garlic rice (sinangag). Braised chicken legs in soy sauce/vinegar + lots of garlic and black pepper. And sliced garlic fried til crisp and stir fried with leftover white rice

And cacio e pepe, which seems to have taken off in popularity in recent years. A bunch of fresh grated pecorino + black pepper with bucatini

Maybe 8 ingredients in total
Not sure why or when it happened, but bucatini is my absolute favorite pasta.

Unfortunately, sugar is added to a ton of things bought off the shelves - not just because of the added sweetness - but because it extends shelf life. Both salt and sugar help arrest bacterial growth.

All the more reason to avoid too much store bought stuff and cook more from scratch as stankeyleg suggests.
Yep!

I've also seen lots of recipes for "pasta sauce" that call for adding sugar. Crazy.

Yep!

I've also seen lots of recipes for "pasta sauce" that call for adding sugar. Crazy.
The “add some sweet” to a tomato based sauce is simply to help cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Taste the sauce first, if your tomato product is not too acidic or too tart, then You don’t need to add anything sweet to it at all. If something sweet is needed, red wine is the go to, because once that wine has cooked down, the alcohol is gone and all is left is the sugars. But white sugar does not have to be used… You can certainly use, honey, or cane sugar “in the raw”, Stevia, other healthier sweetener alternatives. In Italy, they’ll use the red wine first, and then add a bunch of Parmesan cheese to the dish on the plate… Should the tomato sauce still be too tangy and acidic.

The carrot - in a classic mire poix or Sofritto
Sautéed in the classic French or Italian tomato sauce is fine too. But creating that sauce from scratch takes much more time-than my quick 20 minute marinara sauce, detailed above. But when I look back over what I wrote, it takes 20 fucking minutes just to read all of that ha ha!

The “add some sweet” to a tomato based sauce is simply to help cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Taste the sauce first, if your tomato product is not too acidic or too tart, then You don’t need to add anything sweet to it at all. If something sweet is needed, red wine is the go to, because once that wine has cooked down, the alcohol is gone and all is left is the sugars. But white sugar does not have to be used… You can certainly use, honey, or cane sugar “in the raw”, Stevia, other healthier sweetener alternatives. In Italy, they’ll use the red wine first, and then add a bunch of Parmesan cheese to the dish on the plate… Should the tomato sauce still be too tangy and acidic.

The carrot - in a classic mire poix or Sofritto
Sautéed in the classic French or Italian tomato sauce is fine too. But creating that sauce from scratch takes much more time-than my quick 20 minute marinara sauce, detailed above. But when I look back over what I wrote, it takes 20 fucking minutes just to read all of that ha ha!
I understand, and agree with why sweet ingredients are added. Just that the go-to sweet for many US recipes in sugar, over carrots for example, is insane to me.

I understand, and agree with why sweet ingredients are added. Just that the go-to sweet for many US recipes in sugar, over carrots for example, is insane to me.
Yup. That's us Americans. We're simple. We want quick and easy. Have you driven past the drive through fast food joints lately? A teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down. And it's the quick and easy fix for a red sauce which is too tart.

As for carrots? They take too long to cook down to release their sugars into a sauce. Try some diced apples in your red sauce next time. Learned that in England - of all places. And instead of meat, add some dark red kidney beans... combine with your favorite pasta and impress the vegetarians on your street.

I've been using Forschner chef's and paring knives for years. They are stamped and not forged but do a more than adequate job for an affordable price. They certainly are better than my knife skills.
At the recommendation of @Centerpiece I recently purchased 3 Henckel knives. At this point the only thing I'm good at is not putting them in the dishwasher and sharpening them. I can hold them correctly, but no speed or ability on the chop.

Yup. That's us Americans. We're simple. We want quick and easy. Have you driven past the drive through fast food joints lately? A teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down. And it's the quick and easy fix for a red sauce which is too tart.

As for carrots? They take too long to cook down to release their sugars into a sauce. Try some diced apples in your red sauce next time. Learned that in England - of all places. And instead of meat, add some dark red kidney beans... combine with your favorite pasta and impress the vegetarians on your street.
Chick fil a drive through is always packed. But this past weekend we were driving to NC and stopped at a Chick Fil a off of the 485 bypass. I've never seen a parking lot so poorly designed in my life. You had to sit in the drive through line to get to the parking lot. What dumbass thought that was a good idea?
And we have some really bad parking lots near me.

Ok, now back to the topic at hand.

@Rock, you can move my rant to the random thread if needed. 😁

Chick fil a drive through is always packed. But this past weekend we were driving to NC and stopped at a Chick Fil a off of the 485 bypass. I've never seen a parking lot so poorly designed in my life. You had to sit in the drive through line to get to the parking lot. What dumbass thought that was a good idea?
And we have some really bad parking lots near me.

Ok, now back to the topic at hand.

@Rock, you can move my rant to the random thread if needed. 😁
For future reference, I'm a chill mod. Just don't burn the place down.

At the recommendation of @Centerpiece I recently purchased 3 Henckel knives. At this point the only thing I'm good at is not putting them in the dishwasher and sharpening them. I can hold them correctly, but no speed or ability on the chop.
Please don’t be preoccupied with “speed”. Safety first, and then accuracy- you’re simply after the same size cuts to allow for even cooking- and presentation after that.

Learn the “claw” grip with your guiding hand and keep those fingers (and thumb) tucked in. And don’t chop or slice green onions while drinking a gin tonic. You’re thumb will appreciate it. Just ask my thumb… 🤓

Please don’t be preoccupied with “speed”. Safety first, and then accuracy- you’re simply after the same size cuts to allow for even cooking- and presentation after that.

Learn the “claw” grip with your guiding hand and keep those fingers (and thumb) tucked in. And don’t chop or slice green onions while drinking a gin tonic. You’re thumb will appreciate it. Just ask my thumb… 🤓
I was watching master chef last night. Ramsey prepared a dish as an example. He diced an onion so quickly even the contestants were in awe.

The king of long pastas. I almost never use spaghetti anymore and I'm not sure what to do with angel hair

Give me bucatini along with rigatoni and cavatappi and I wouldn't need any others
I tend to always go with something like busiate because I'm too lazy to break out my marcato (and then clean it).

Back