The Music Thread

CarolinaFever

Honored Member
What's your favorite type of music? What genres do you listen to the most" Favorite artist? What are you listening to right now?

60s through 2000s are my favorite decades. Listen mainly to pop, rock, soul, R&B, and rap from those decades. Listen to some 50s rock n roll, some country, and also like beach music.

I like a little bit of everything except for Country. Was just thinking the other day about what my top 5 favorite songs of all time would be and could only come up with 2 for sures.

Number one is Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve. I can go on Youtube and spend an hour listening to various covers, remixes... of it.

And I'm probably the only person in the world that has this next one and Bittersweet Symphony in their top 5. But No More Questions by Eazy-E. Apparently it blew up on Tik Tok a few years ago and it got known as a Tik Tok song. SMH

At the moment, I've been listening to a lot of early Primus and a post-metal innovator called Neurosis, because those are my 10 year old son's favorite bands right now. They relax him. What can I say, he's autistic. He used to listen to Ministry to relax.

I also listen to a lot of post-metal and post-rock these days. I really have come to loathe the label post-rock, because it's meaningless (any term that can be unironically applied to Sigur Ros and God Is An Astronaut is not helpful) -- but anyway, the bands I listen to under this rubric include God Is An Astronaut, Red Sparowes, Cloudkicker (my wife's favorite), This Will Destroy You, etc. It's mostly instrumental pieces with elaborate arrangements and plenty of distorted guitars, as if Sonic Youth had been influenced by Soundgarden rather than the other way around. Tempo-wise and heaviness it's akin to Badmotorfinger (one of my favorite albums of all time).

At the moment, I've been listening to a lot of early Primus and a post-metal innovator called Neurosis, because those are my 10 year old son's favorite bands right now. They relax him. What can I say, he's autistic. He used to listen to Ministry to relax.

I also listen to a lot of post-metal and post-rock these days. I really have come to loathe the label post-rock, because it's meaningless (any term that can be unironically applied to Sigur Ros and God Is An Astronaut is not helpful) -- but anyway, the bands I listen to under this rubric include God Is An Astronaut, Red Sparowes, Cloudkicker (my wife's favorite), This Will Destroy You, etc. It's mostly instrumental pieces with elaborate arrangements and plenty of distorted guitars, as if Sonic Youth had been influenced by Soundgarden rather than the other way around. Tempo-wise and heaviness it's akin to Badmotorfinger (one of my favorite albums of all time).
My oldest brother is 10 years older than me so when I 10-11-12 he was going though a huge music phase going to shows and hanging out in bars as a newly 21 year old. He was big into Primus and I stole one of his Primus shirts and would wear it to school. I listened to the music and only ever liked the song my name is mud probably because of the name. I can hear that bass riff in my head to this day. They were a little over my head at that age because 10-year-olds at the time were listening to ESPN Jock Jams and the Men in Black soundtrack.

Currently Duke Ellington, Amy Winehouse, Dwight Yoakam, and Drivin’ n’ Cryin’, are all in heavy rotation. Bunch of Wu-Tang and Fugazi for workouts.

Einstürzende Neubauten, REM (Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of Reconstruction only), Van Morrison, Chris LeDoux, Roxy Music, ELO, DjangoReinhardt, Marshall Tucker Band.

Number one is Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve. I can go on Youtube and spend an hour listening to various covers, remixes... of it.
OMG that would be torture for me. I loathe that song and everything about it, especially the fact that its appeal derives primarily from what it stole from past bands. Also, violins should never be made that central to a rock song.

OMG that would be torture for me. I loathe that song and everything about it, especially the fact that its appeal derives primarily from what it stole from past bands. Also, violins should never be made that central to a rock song.
To each their own. That song just mellows me out. And they supposedly didn't make a penny off that song because of the Stones suing them.

Number one is Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve.
My girlfriend at the time played me that song and when she told me the name of it I said "this song is about my life... except for the 'sweet' part"...

Einstürzende Neubauten, REM (Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of Reconstruction only), Van Morrison, Chris LeDoux, Roxy Music, ELO, DjangoReinhardt, Marshall Tucker Band.
Interesting list. Always thought “Life’s Rich Pageant” was R.E.M.’s best, personally.

I grew up on 90's alternative/grunge/rock stuff, so I still listen to a lot of that. I've gotten a lot more into americana/folk/alt-country/red dirt stuff the last 10 years or so, too. Sturgill Simpson got me started in it. My recent favorites are anything Turnpike Troubadours, Tyler Childers' Purgatory record, Shane Smith and the Saints, William Clark Green, and Charles Wesley Godwin. I'll throw Billy Strings in there, too.

Oh, and I just got in to Red Clay Strays after seeing them pop up in my recommendations for a while. Just released a new album and it's really, really good. Gonna have to make sure I see them whenever they come back to NC.

Broad topic but here are my favorite records of the year thus far:

Vampire Weekend - Only God Was Above Us

Jpegmafia - I Lay Down My Life For You

Grocer - Bliss Me

Adrienne Lenker - Bright Future

Big Special - Postindustrial Hometown Blues

To each their own. That song just mellows me out. And they supposedly didn't make a penny off that song because of the Stones suing them.
Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. It wasn't the Stones who sued them. It was the Stones' ex-manager Allen Klein who owned all the rights to the Stones' songs from the 60s. And it wasn't a lawsuit (which would have been complicated because the Stones weren't sampled). I think it was a settlement that the Verve negotiated poorly. They were able to get royalties from Klein's use of the song in commercials.

Then a few years ago, Klein's son gave the rights back to the Verve, though perhaps not the money. But I think they were able to keep all the proceeds from their album sales and of course that song made them a hit band who made money off touring.

I have little sympathy for the Verve. Steal someone else's music and this is the risk you run. I get that samples are a part of music and indeed there are many songs with samples that I like very much. But if the sample makes the song, then you have to wonder what you're enjoying there. The more obscure the sample, the better (in most cases).

Interesting list. Always thought “Life’s Rich Pageant” was R.E.M.’s best, personally.
It's good, but I was gone from Chapel Hill in May of '86 and that didn't come out until the summer or fall so I don't have the same memories of it.

It's good, but I was gone from Chapel Hill in May of '86 and that didn't come out until the summer or fall so I don't have the same memories of it.
What albums of Einsturzende are you listening to? Gotta say, that's the name on your above list that's not like the others.

If you're talking about music you liked in college . . . I mean, what Einsturzende was doing back then was practically the diametric opposite of REM.

I like a little bit of everything except for Country. Was just thinking the other day about what my top 5 favorite songs of all time would be and could only come up with 2 for sures.

And I'm probably the only person in the world that has this next one and Bittersweet Symphony in their top 5. But No More Questions by Eazy-E. Apparently it blew up on Tik Tok a few years ago and it got known as a Tik Tok song. SMH
Listing a top 5 would be impossible for me, but I do think Purple Rain is my favorite song of all time.

What albums of Einsturzende are you listening to? Gotta say, that's the name on your above list that's not like the others.

If you're talking about music you liked in college . . . I mean, what Einsturzende was doing back then was practically the diametric opposite of REM.
Halber Mensch was the first I heard at Rockpalast Wurzburg in late 1986. Don't know when it came out but that's when I first got exposed. Mittwoch ticket. Still have it in my scrapbook.

With the exception of gangsta rap, I love all genres.

my car current CD rotation (I'm old school ) is:

Big Pretty and the Red Rockets ( See What You Can Find )
Al di Meola John Mclaughlin Paco de Lucia ( live in San Francisco )
Barenaked Ladies ( Rock Spectacle )
Conway Twitty ( Silver Anniversary Collection )
The Iguanas ( Plastic Silver 9 Volt Heart )
Dash Riprock ( Boiled Alive )

Last edited:
Back