The Music Thread

Halber Mensch was the first I heard at Rockpalast Wurzburg in late 1986. Don't know when it came out but that's when I first got exposed. Mittwoch ticket. Still have it in my scrapbook.
That's not quite as radical as, say, Kollaps but it's still pretty fucking far out there for someone who was grooving to REM.

Currently Duke Ellington, . . ..
Two thoughts.
1. I never saw Duke Ellington live. But I did see Count Basie live at the Frog and Nightgown club in Cameron Villiage Underground. Count Basie and Clarence Lightner, the then mayor of Raleigh, belonged to the same college fraternity. During a break in the show, Mayor Lightner presented the "Key to the City" to the Count. The place just oozed with mellow good feelings. I had asked a very pretty female fellow student to attend this event with me. My older brother even loaned me his car for the evening. Somehow I had gotten the mistaken belief this young woman was a big jazz fan. The way the evening went, I was thinking, "This going to be great!" Turns out, she wasn't a jazz fan and didn't enjoy the evening. I found this out a couple of days later via the grapevine and that particular relationship never proceeded any further.

2. Duke Ellington: One of my favorite Duke Ellington albums is, "And His Mother Called Him Bill." It is an album of songs that Hillsborough's own, Billy Strayhorn, composed with Duke Ellington. There is one song in particular, "Lotus Blossom," that is a piano solo by Duke Ellington. He starts playing after the show is over, but is still being recorded and you can hear the roadies talking and taking the set down. As Ellington continues to play, the background noise just gets quieter and quieter. My absolute favorite performance of a Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn collaboration.

Two thoughts.
1. I never saw Duke Ellington live. But I did see Count Basie live at the Frog and Nightgown club in Cameron Villiage Underground. Count Basie and Clarence Lightner, the then mayor of Raleigh, belonged to the same college fraternity. During a break in the show, Mayor Lightner presented the "Key to the City" to the Count. The place just oozed with mellow good feelings. I had asked a very pretty female fellow student to attend this event with me. My older brother even loaned me his car for the evening. Somehow I had gotten the mistaken belief this young woman was a big jazz fan. The way the evening went, I was thinking, "This going to be great!" Turns out, she wasn't a jazz fan and didn't enjoy the evening. I found this out a couple of days later via the grapevine and that particular relationship never proceeded any further.

2. Duke Ellington: One of my favorite Duke Ellington albums is, "And His Mother Called Him Bill." It is an album of songs that Hillsborough's own, Billy Strayhorn, composed with Duke Ellington. There is one song in particular, "Lotus Blossom," that is a piano solo by Duke Ellington. He starts playing after the show is over, but is still being recorded and you can hear the roadies talking and taking the set down. As Ellington continues to play, the background noise just gets quieter and quieter. My absolute favorite performance of a Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn collaboration.
Two thoughts.

I love me some Jazz. One of my my most treasured CDs is a recording of Louis Armstrong performing in Memorial Hall in 1954.

To see Count Basie must have been a thrill. Hopefully, that pretty female didn't spoil the experience...

Two thoughts.

If you haven’t read it, Terry Teachout’s bio “Duke” is excellent, as is David Hajdu’s bio of Billy Strayhorn, “Lush Life”.

Life’s Rich Pageant isn’t even close to REM’s best. The first three records + Automatic for the People are all better by a wide margin.

I associate music more with women/location/times and I have varied tastes.
I have varied tastes too, though mine tend to be along the lines of "stuff that isn't pop." I hope you were getting some serious action when you were grooving to EN in Berlin in 1985-86.

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. It wasn't the Stones who sued them...
It appears the Stones song that was ostensibly sampled was This Could Be The Last Time. I gotta say, I've heard plenty of "original" songs that sound way more like other songs than Bittersweet Symphony sounds like Last Time...

Great topic. For context, I grew up in upstate SC in the 80s. I don't like country or hip hop. What I do like...
I have really been enjoying 70s Funk on Spotify the last few years.
Some of my "go to" artists in no particular order: Kravitz, Switchfoot, Lou Reed, U2, Rush, Radiohead, David Bowie, Flaming Lips, Kinks, Peter Gabriel, The Verve, Parliament (my funk phase), Cranberries, Jane's Addiction, older Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd. I love Spotify; it has allowed me to explore some great music from my youth and earlier that I wouldn't have otherwise explored.

Now for a shameless plug: My two kids are in a band in the Triangle called The Hourglass Kids. They call their music raggae-colored psycodelic rock. I love it. Instrumentation: guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, bari sax and two trombones. Five are UNC grads, one is a state grad and one is a state student. They gig in the triangle, but have been from Asheville to Wilmington, and as far as Jacksonville, Fla and a festival in Arkansas. Check them out on Spotify - all original music, 15 songs so far. Start with the most recent songs... In My Head, On My Way Down, Night Drives, Parasite, Signs. They are gonna be at the Sonark Harvest Festival Aug 31.

It appears the Stones song that was ostensibly sampled was This Could Be The Last Time. I gotta say, I've heard plenty of "original" songs that sound way more like other songs than Bittersweet Symphony sounds like Last Time...
No, the song sampled was a recording by the Andrew Oldham Band, which put together an orchestral "version" of the Stones song. As far as I know, the Oldham piece was "inspired" by the Stones song and I don't think the Stones had a writing credit. But the Stones' manager asserted the copyright over the Oldham version, seeing as how the Oldham version purported to be something of an "orchestral version" of the Stones song. Oldham was, I think, the Stones' manager at some point in the 60s at least someone who worked with them on the business side.

You can read about the whole affair here

What albums of Einsturzende are you listening to? Gotta say, that's the name on your above list that's not like the others.

If you're talking about music you liked in college . . . I mean, what Einsturzende was doing back then was practically the diametric opposite of REM.
Music I liked in college... Early Violent Femmes, The Pouges, David Bowie from the Low/Heroes/Station to Station era (not in the chronology, just what I was into at the time).

I like a little bit of everything except for Country. Was just thinking the other day about what my top 5 favorite songs of all time would be and could only come up with 2 for sures.

Number one is Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve. I can go on Youtube and spend an hour listening to various covers, remixes... of it.

And I'm probably the only person in the world that has this next one and Bittersweet Symphony in their top 5. But No More Questions by Eazy-E. Apparently it blew up on Tik Tok a few years ago and it got known as a Tik Tok song. SMH
The end of Cruel Intentions permanently changed my view of Bittersweet Symphony. I thought the song was ok, but very much like it because I associate with the movie.

Classical.
WDAV Classical Public Radio is on my devices almost 24/7
I used to perform Early Music (Medieval and Baroque), so that's where my heart lives.
For later music, probably Dvorak and Brahms.
Not too often that Brahms is referred to as "later," LOL.

What do you think of Arvo Part and Gorecki -- the neo-traditionalists? I don't know medieval music well enough to know whether their work is really a throwback to that early music or more hype than real.

Back