The Music Thread

Huge Parrothead here. Still crushed over Buffett's death last year. Perhaps affected me more deeply than any other celebrity's passing.
Agree 100%. We went to Ocean Isle Beach last week with friends. Ate twice at Sharky’s on the island. They have the music on Radio Margaritaville all the time. Jimmy stopped there once. There is a picture of him and Ray the owner sitting at the bar talking. Jimmy mentioned Sharky’s during his 2009 concert at Walnut Creek.

I have varied tastes too, though mine tend to be along the lines of "stuff that isn't pop." I hope you were getting some serious action when you were grooving to EN in Berlin in 1985-86.
thanks, but I was only Leighton (Wurzburg) and Larson (Kitzingen) although I did a fun TDY at Peden (Wertheim). So all Franconia.

If you haven’t read it, Terry Teachout’s bio “Duke” is excellent, as is David Hajdu’s bio of Billy Strayhorn, “Lush Life”.

Life’s Rich Pageant isn’t even close to REM’s best. The first three records + Automatic for the People are all better by a wide margin.
I’ll check out your book recommendations. Thanks.

I get the love for the first three R.E.M. albums, especially the first two. Growing up, a group of us used to play baseball in an empty field next to this cool, old house in my hometown. I don’t know it was Mitch Easter’s place until my freshman high school teacher (a former sound guy for Let’s Active) introduced me a couple of years later. I’ve got a special place in my heart for their first two albums, but I do think LRP was their best. “Nightswimming” is probably my favorite R.E.M. song ever, but I wasn’t too crazy about Automatic overall and certainly don’t think it compares to the stuff that came before.

I’ll check out your book recommendations. Thanks.

I get the love for the first three R.E.M. albums, especially the first two. Growing up, a group of us used to play baseball in an empty field next to this cool, old house in my hometown. I don’t know it was Mitch Easter’s place until my freshman high school teacher (a former sound guy for Let’s Active) introduced me a couple of years later. I’ve got a special place in my heart for their first two albums, but I do think LRP was their best. “Nightswimming” is probably my favorite R.E.M. song ever, but I wasn’t too crazy about Automatic overall and certainly don’t think it compares to the stuff that came before.
Even Rick Beato says “Try Not to Breathe” is their best song. 😜

Fables is consistently overlooked because people complain about the “murky” sound. I think the songwriting is stronger than LRP. It has the bangers like Driver 8 and Can’t get there from here. It’s also their most southern gothic record and for me personally that’s very powerful.

Ah, another specialty of mine! I have a jazz band and I play guitar and sing old jazz standards. Also play upright bass. I played in bluegrass bands, folk bands, rock/blues bands… Jazz was always something I was drawn to.

That said the radio in my car is always tuned to WDAV 89.9 Davidson classical public radio. That is also my go to in my house. Often tell people I like to listen to classical music, cause I’m trying to gain a little fucking class. It’s a work in progress.

As far as favorites, the ABCs of music. Allman Bros, Bach/Beatles, CCR, Dylan, Everly Bros, Frank (Zappa and Sinatra), GreatfulDead, Handl/Hayden, etc …

Agree 100%. We went to Ocean Isle Beach last week with friends. Ate twice at Sharky’s on the island. They have the music on Radio Margaritaville all the time. Jimmy stopped there once. There is a picture of him and Ray the owner sitting at the bar talking. Jimmy mentioned Sharky’s during his 2009 concert at Walnut Creek.
Very cool. At one of of his last couple of Walnut Creek shows he talked about the new boat he had custom made in Washington, NC. I've also seen a picture of Last Mango docked in Swannsboro.

Even Rick Beato says “Try Not to Breathe” is their best song. 😜

Fables is consistently overlooked because people complain about the “murky” sound. I think the songwriting is stronger than LRP. It has the bangers like Driver 8 and Can’t get there from here. It’s also their most southern gothic record and for me personally that’s very powerful.
Maybe a touch of Easter could’ve cleaned some of that “murkiness” up:) Totally get where you’re coming from though. Loved your last sentence.

Very cool. At one of of his last couple of Walnut Creek shows he talked about the new boat he had custom made in Washington, NC. I've also seen a picture of Last Mango docked in Swannsboro.
My best friends daughter lives near Washington. He said Jimmy would visit occasionally to see how the boat was coming along. He would hang out at the restaurants down on the river when he was there.

Chapel Hill's own Ben Folds (Five). Some version of the BF5 won a battle of the bands at Duke.

I’ve got pretty wide and varied musical tastes too. Right now, I’m most excited that I’m seeing Green Day for the first time this coming Monday in Charlotte. My understanding is they will play the entire Dookie and American Idiot albums during the concert.

Pretty eclectic. Nothing like an obscure and soaring Moody Blues classic (yes, obscure and classic).

Or a masterful modern jazz performance: Kenny Kirkland (his solo is other worldly), Jeff "Tain" Watts, with Kenny Garrett:

You could put together a pretty good jazz band made up of Tar Heels:

John Coltrane on Sax
Thelonious Monk on piano
Max Roach on drums
Woody Shaw on Trumpet
Percy Heath on bass
Nina Simone vocalist
Kay Kyser - more of a big band leader guy in 30s, 40s. Born in Rocky Mount. Lived for many years in Chapel Hill (one of those big houses on Franklin St.) until his passing.

Last edited:
End of the Innocence

Boys of Summer (this video was always removed until about 18 months ago)

Losing My Religion

Bittersweet Symphony

James Brown and Famous Flames 18 minute set at TAMI Show

Bittersweet symphony is one of my all time favorite songs - I consider it to be the song of the 90s - overall my musical tastes shift depending on my mood - sometimes I want to listen to a lot of brit pop like oasis and stone roses - sometimes I want to listen to 60s rock like the Beatles, stones, bob Dylan - sometimes I want to listen to alt country like Uncle tupelo, son volt, Jayhawks

What's your favorite type of music? What genres do you listen to the most" Favorite artist? What are you listening to right now?

60s through 2000s are my favorite decades. Listen mainly to pop, rock, soul, R&B, and rap from those decades. Listen to some 50s rock n roll, some country, and also like beach music.
I’ve been listening to a lot of post grunge stuff like staind fuel shine down foo fighters

Historically I have liked 80s glam, 1989-90-91 pop, 91- grunge, 94-04 hip hop, and a little bit of post 2015 hip hop. I’m all over the place.

I listen to everything except country. If it is country it's old school. George Jones, Merle, Conway, Tammy, Cash. Loretta, Hank. Stones, Bob, Neil Young, Zepp. Old rap like Eric B & Rakim. Cube, Pac. AS i type this i'm listening to

Back