The pig divides us

Croatoan

Exceptional Member
ZZL Supporter
Not another Trump thread, despite the title.

Look, political opinions are one thing. They give us insight into another’s perspective on the world and what they want it to be. The choice we make between Lexington and Eastern-style bbq reveals more than that though. It cuts to the true nature of a person; it shines a light on their soul. I know this has been discussed before, but this is a new board and a chance for some to start anew.

To the Chosen, my fellow Lexington-style believers, keep it up and remain steadfast in your righteousness. Even though I’ve always known in my heart that pork shoulders were all you ever need, I’ll admit that I’ve strayed off the Path at times. I’ve even enjoyed, what was for all intents and purposes, a pickled pig sandwich once or twice. No one said sin can’t be delicious, but I always come back to what is true and right. Know that we must remain humble though and not flaunt our refined palates in non-believers faces. Remember that we have flaws just like the Others, we’re just not going to hell for ours. This thread can be a place to reach out, to help them. Let them know about your favorite places of pig worship and why it’s some place other than Stamey’s in Greensboro or Kepley’s of High Point, which are both abominations.

I’d like the vibe of this thread to be mostly positive, so I’ll say that I think most of you Eastern-style cultists are not truly lost yet. You probably suck as people right now, but I recognize that there are “reasons” you are what you are. Maybe, by terrible misfortune, you grew up out of state or east of Mebane. Maybe your folks didn’t know any better and that’s all you had growing up, just ignorant that there was something better out there. Maybe some kind of childhood trauma plays a role or maybe you don’t have the capacity to know what “good” means. Whatever the “reason”, know that you could change today. Go to Lexington Barbecue, sit at the counter, order a chopped plate with slaw, hit it with two (and only two) shakes of Texas Pete, and experience what bbq evolved to when something more than just vinegar was available. If you can’t appreciate the heightened flavor profile that a touch of ketchup adds after that? You are beyond salvation. Tell me what’s better. Might as well add in why you hate America and all that is good and holy while you’re at it so we get it all out of the way now.

Mustard-lovers? Just like hardcore Eastern-types, vegans and vegetarians, people who use “barbecue” as a verb, and dook basketball fans, you’re a demon walking this Earth. If I read the terms “mustard” or “Texas” or “Memphis” or some reference to BBQ as anything but pork, used unironically or approvingly in this thread, I swear to God….

So, let’s see who some of you really are.

Look, political opinions are one thing. They give us insight into another’s perspective on the world and what they want it to be. The choice we make between Lexington and Eastern-style bbq reveals more than that though. It cuts to the true nature of a person; it shines a light on their soul. I know this has been discussed before, but this is a new board and a chance for some to start anew.

To the Chosen, my fellow Lexington-style believers, keep it up and remain steadfast in your righteousness. Even though I’ve always known in my heart that pork shoulders were all you ever need, I’ll admit that I’ve strayed off the Path at times. I’ve even enjoyed, what was for all intents and purposes, a pickled pig sandwich once or twice. No one said sin can’t be delicious, but I always come back to what is true and right. Know that we must remain humble though and not flaunt our refined palates in non-believers faces. Remember that we have flaws just like the Others, we’re just not going to hell for ours. This thread can be a place to reach out, to help them. Let them know about your favorite places of pig worship and why it’s some place other than Stamey’s in Greensboro or Kepley’s of High Point, which are both abominations.

I’d like the vibe of this thread to be mostly positive, so I’ll say that I think most of you Eastern-style cultists are not truly lost yet. You probably suck as people right now, but I recognize that there are “reasons” you are what you are. Maybe, by terrible misfortune, you grew up out of state or east of Mebane. Maybe your folks didn’t know any better and that’s all you had growing up, just ignorant that there was something better out there. Maybe some kind of childhood trauma plays a role or maybe you don’t have the capacity to know what “good” means. Whatever the “reason”, know that you could change today. Go to Lexington Barbecue, sit at the counter, order a chopped plate with slaw, hit it with two (and only two) shakes of Texas Pete, and experience what bbq evolved to when something more than just vinegar was available. If you can’t appreciate the heightened flavor profile that a touch of ketchup adds after that? You are beyond salvation. Tell me what’s better. Might as well add in why you hate America and all that is good and holy while you’re at it so we get it all out of the way now.

Mustard-lovers? Just like hardcore Eastern-types, vegans and vegetarians, people who use “barbecue” as a verb, and dook basketball fans, you’re a demon walking this Earth. If I read the terms “mustard” or “Texas” or “Memphis” or some reference to BBQ as anything but pork, used unironically or approvingly in this thread, I swear to God….

I don’t give a rat’s ass what kind of ‘Q you prefer.

If you prefer Donald Trump (it’s a binary choice, croatoan, you don’t get to wimp out and vote Libertarian or Green or Robert Kennedy, Jr.)………man up and say, “I’m a Trumplican.”

We all know you are a Trumplican and we don’t give a rat’s ass about your ‘Q preference.

Username does NOT check out.

I’m kind of weird. I prefer pulled to chopped. I like the shoulder (I live in a condo and can only have electric smoker that’s just big enough for a butt). But, I prefer eastern sauce.

Did have a lot of lechon in the Philippines. It was good, but definitely not as good as Carolina. If you guys see a bunch of Filipinos at your local bbq joint, it’s because I told them they’ve got to try the real stuff.

Eastern style whole hog chopped que > Western style pulled pork shoulder

Western style sweet sauce > Eastern style vinegar sauce

Ayden/Greenville, NC = barbecue Mecca of the world

Texas brisket = barbecue
Memphis ribs = barbecue
St. Louis ribs = barbecue
Kansas City burnt ends = barbecue

#AllBarbecueMatters

I prefer Eastern-style, but I enjoy them both.

Sadly, there are fewer and fewer legit NC BBQ joints. The family run BBQ shacks of rural NC have been running out of family members who are willing or able to continue to run them.

Now most BBQ joints are found in more urban environments and cater toward more modern sensibilities. They draw inspiration from real NC ‘cue, but the BBQ isn’t quite the same. And one big difference you get is the selection of sauces they put on the table to pour onto your BBQ. At the real BBQ joints there is/was no such sauce. The ‘cue speaks for itself. The only things you might add are a few drops of hot sauce that they keep at the table and some of the sauce they use on the pork as they cook it.

I always tell people unfamiliar with real NC BBQ that that once you add some thick sauce to it, or if you have to, it’s not the real thing.

Texas brisket = barbecue
Memphis ribs = barbecue

#AllBarbecueMatters
I tend to agree with much of this, sir, but if I may be permitted two thoughts:

1) Ayden/Greenville are wonderful representatives of ENC Q, but that damn flat "cornbread" nonsense at the Skylight is simply awful.

2) I completely agree that good barbecue is simply good barbecue, whether its from Texas, Memphis, or elsewhere. So, #AllGoodBarbecueMatters

I tend to agree with much of this, sir, but if I may be permitted two thoughts:

1) Ayden/Greenville are wonderful representatives of ENC Q, but that damn flat "cornbread" nonsense at the Skylight is simply awful.

2) I completely agree that good barbecue is simply good barbecue, whether its from Texas, Memphis, or elsewhere. So, #AllGoodBarbecueMatters
Totally understand your point about the cornbread at Skylight! I know lots and lots and people don’t like it. I personally do like it, but that’s just what I grew up eating in ENC. My wife is from the Charlotte area and thinks it’s a total abomination.

Eastern is better, and does need a bit of a spice kick.
Western is good too, and does need a bit of a spice kick.

We can be honest here. Texas brisket and ribs are far superior. There is no shame in that.

The real problem is finding places that do any of this well. Half assed / chain restaurant barbecue isn't good no matter the variety.

I don’t give a rat’s ass what kind of ‘Q you prefer.

If you prefer Donald Trump (it’s a binary choice, croatoan, you don’t get to wimp out and vote Libertarian or Green or Robert Kennedy, Jr.)………man up and say, “I’m a Trumplican.”

We all know you are a Trumplican and we don’t give a rat’s ass about your ‘Q preference.
Did I miss the metaphor in his post?

I'm a mustard/vinegar based guy.

My world renown bbq sauce recipe consists of mustard, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, worcestershire sauce,and crushed red pepper

Eastern is better, and does need a bit of a spice kick.
Western is good too, and does need a bit of a spice kick.

We can be honest here. Texas brisket and ribs are far superior. There is no shame in that.

The real problem is finding places that do any of this well. Half assed / chain restaurant barbecue isn't good no matter the variety.
I've got to agree with you. I'm a born and bred Eastern North Carolinian. If I were on death row my last meal would be whole hog chopped 'cue from Sam Jones/Skylight Inn with sweet slaw and banana pudding.

But, man alive, you get some actual bonafide elite Texas brisket- smoked for 18+ hours, sliced, fatty, with a good crusty bark from copious amounts of salt and pepper- and I'm honestly not sure there is a better meal on the planet.

All forms of barbecue (kind of meat, cooking style, sauce) can be good. All forms of barbecue can be bad. I will eat basically all of it and usually enjoy it. But when it comes to pork barbecue, my personal opinion is that the best Lexington-style places are better than the best Eastern-style places, and the worst Eastern style places are worse than the worst Lexington-style places. In other words, while their ranges substantially overlap, Lexington-style has a higher ceiling, and Eastern-style has a lower floor.

I usually have to travel at least a half-hour for good pork barbecue because I live in Greensboro, which based on geography and population should have good barbecue places but somehow doesn't (though Country Barbecue isn't too bad). My favorite bbq place around here is actually in Jamestown (Black Powder Smokehouse) but their brisket is the best thing there IMO.

Texas brisket = barbecue
Memphis ribs = barbecue

#AllBarbecueMatters
Exactly, I can enjoy all different types of barbecue.

All forms of barbecue (kind of meat, cooking style, sauce) can be good. All forms of barbecue can be bad. I will eat basically all of it and usually enjoy it. But when it comes to pork barbecue, my personal opinion is that the best Lexington-style places are better than the best Eastern-style places, and the worst Eastern style places are worse than the worst Lexington-style places. In other words, while their ranges substantially overlap, Lexington-style has a higher ceiling, and Eastern-style has a lower floor.

I usually have to travel at least a half-hour for good pork barbecue because I live in Greensboro, which based on geography and population should have good barbecue places but somehow doesn't (though Country Barbecue isn't too bad). My favorite bbq place around here is actually in Jamestown (Black Powder Smokehouse) but their brisket is the best thing there IMO.
Dang, is Stamey's not good anymore? Granted, it's been like 12 years since I last ate there but I remember it being pretty good.

Black Powder's solid. That location sat empty for nearly 30 years before they finally figured out a good use for the space. I lived across the street as a kid.

Back