The pig divides us

Despite all my hysteria over Eastern NC whole hog BBQ, I no longer live in Eastern NC. I live in South Charlotte. And, if my father were still alive, he would be ashamed of me, my two favorite BBQ places are: 521 BBQ in Indian Land, SC for the ribs and brisket and Noble Smoke in Charlotte for, pardon me BBQ gods, the absolutely fantastic vegetables.
Here’s to the noble vegetable. He who also gives of his life.

JD’s Smoke House in Rutherford College. The Brisket.

Eastern.

I've had relatives and other people always ask me about the BBQ war in North Carolina. I've told them in this state there are two questions.
1: Eastern or Western
2: what color blue.

And your choice, is your choice for life.

. . .. Wilbers and That Place in Ayden,NC
By "That Place in Ayden, NC" do you mean Skylight Inn BBQ or is there a new place in Ayden named "That Place"? Because if there is a new BBQ place in Ayden, I want to go there.

Lordy, seeing pictures from Wilber’s and Grady’s and Skylight sure makes me miss home! I’m moving back to North Carolina next summer and it won’t be a moment too soon.

Growing up my family had a camper and we would go to Kerr Lake a lot in the summer with a bunch of other families in our church who also had campers. We would have a pig pickin every Memorial Day weekend to kick off summer. Miss that.

Grady's opened after I had moved away from Eastern NC. On one visit home I wanted some BBQ and my father recommended Grady's because it was closer than Wilber's. I said I had never heard of Grady's. He told me it was where some store was and I had been to that store plenty of times. I was like what, why would anyone have a BBQ place that far off the beaten path? My father's response was something like, if you make good BBQ, the world will beat a path to your door.

Yesterday I tried a place I'd been meaning to try for a while - Redneck BBQ Lab off I-40 Exit 319 in Benson. I got the pulled pork Q and some brisket. The brisket was a little disappointing - not as fall-apart tender as I like it. Definitely not as good as the brisket at Black Powder Smokehouse in Jamestown. I tried a couple of their homemade sauces with it (a smokier one, and a tangier one) and both of those were pretty good.

The pulled pork was excellent - the best I've had in a while. For you eastern purists I don't know if it was whole hog, but it was definitely eastern-style flavor, and it was perfect (I didn't add any sauce to it myself). Highly recommend.

The cornbread I got with it was not bad; a little dry for my taste but the flavor was good. I also had some green beans, which were cooked with country-style ham but I didn't detect much of that flavor.

I can tell just by looking at that place that it's either in the best 3 BBQ places I'd ever eat or I'd be so sick after eating there that I'd pray for the sweet release of death.
I’ve been there several times. The chicken is great. Nothing special about the sides but the chicken is damn good. If you ever want to check it out it’s in Cleveland, NC, which is in Rowan County, right by its border with Iredell County.

Back