The pig divides us

I have never had mutton BBQ.

But I like mutton. And I like BBQ.

I bet I would like mutton BBQ.

Now I just need a reason to go to Owensboro, KY.
The International BBQ Festival has been replaced by BBQ and Barrels Festival. The first time I went to the International BBQ Festival, I asked a cook at a stand that was serving Burgoo, what was the difference between Burgoo and Burnswick Stew. He laughed at me and said, "Probably nothing!" But then he rattled off a whole list of Southern stews that he said were very similar. He the explained the difference between them is they type of meat that goes into them. He told me that authentic Brunswick stew contained turtle meat and authentic Burgoo contained squirrel meat. But he added that these distinctions based on the wild meat added were very seldom observed anymore. He picked up my bowl of Burgoo and said it only contained chicken.

I grew up 20 minutes from Lexington BBQ and there’s still an inherent bias in me that “real” BBQ is Lexington style.

My absolute favorite joint growing up was actually Carter Brothers in High Point, but sadly they closed down just before COVID. I’m not sure if the ‘Q at Carter Brothers was actually the best or if it was also partially because of nostalgia and all the days I spent there in my childhood eating meals with family and friends. But it was damn good.

Speaking of nostalgia. Stamey’s BBQ before walking over to watch the ACC tourney at the coliseum in Greensboro. Flashbacks to a simpler time. The Q may not be top shelf but I still go there any time the tourney is in Greensboro, sometimes 2-3 nights in a row.

I now live in Raleigh and have grown to like some of the Eastern style options like Sam Jones and Longleaf Swine just about as much as Lexington style.

One thing I agree with from earlier in this thread is that if a restaurant has to put 9 different sauces out for people to choose from, that’s lame. The best places don’t really do all that.

I used to be repulsed by the idea of the SC mustard-based stuff, but on a football road trip to Clemson last year I gave it a try at a local place down there called the Smokin Pig, and holy moly I have to admit it was one of the most delicious things I’ve ever had. Apparently Kirk Herbstreit won’t ever call a game at Clemson without stopping at the Smokin Pig. I can certainly see why.

Spent a lot of time in Dallas and I love Texas brisket and ribs, but I actually like NC BBQ more.

In summary, I truly do like it all but if I had to choose, give me Lexington BBQ.

Why the fuck are you trolling a BBQ thread? Don't eat if you don't like it, and it's even OK to tell us you don't like it. But you're simply trolling at this point.

Some bbq is good enough that you don't need sauce.
Barbecue should be good enough that you don't need sauce.

Harold sounds like an unfortunate soul that been relegated to chain places and the vast majority of places that suck at barbecue. I understand his sentiment because most places aren't very good or just simply suck.

I generally avoid barbecue unless I'm cooking (and I'm only good with pork ribs) or going to small off the beaten places that cook meat til they run out (they always do) with lines that can run for a couple of hours.

I don't think the pig divides us; I've had delicious barbecue all over North Carolina. (I've even had good barbecue in South Carolina, but let's leave that out of the equation.) It's that awful red slaw that divides us.

The noble pig. It doesn’t give milk like a cow, doesn’t lay eggs like a chicken. But it is a highly intelligent animal, much smarter than a cow or a chicken. Boston butts, brisket and leg quarters. Smoked, low heat for hours and hours. Sauce? Yeah, I’ll take some. I lived in 5 different States with most of my time in Western NC so I’ve grown accustomed to that taste. Butts and Ketchup in the sauce.

Barbecue should be good enough that you don't need sauce.

Harold sounds like an unfortunate soul that been relegated to chain places and the vast majority of places that suck at barbecue. I understand his sentiment because most places aren't very good or just simply suck.

I generally avoid barbecue unless I'm cooking (and I'm only good with pork ribs) or going to small off the beaten places that cook meat til they run out (they always do) with lines that can run for a couple of hours.
I actually just had some bbq from Prime bbq in Knightdale it's it's pretty good!

Let’s hear your recs for your local places. No need to mention the famous places (unless you’re local to them).

In Asheville, I recommend Iron & Oak on Riverside. Brisket is great, get it before it’s gone. Ribs are good also. I don’t use sauce on either. I think they have pulled pork but I never get it since they aren’t doing whole hog.

I don’t recommend the more popular 12 Bones. Pork ribs are the main attraction. It’s okay, the sauces are too sweet for me. The cook quality had been inconsistent for me, sometimes spot on, but dry more often than not in my experience.

Welp after I decided Herr Harold Minus needed to be ignored I see my FU to him was a troll aphrodisiac. Sorry guys but who but an asshole makes comments about the holy grub of BBQ like that. I'm thinking he's going on super ignore after this post.

Despite all my hysteria over Eastern NC whole hog BBQ, I no longer live in Eastern NC. I live in South Charlotte. And, if my father were still alive, he would be ashamed of me, my two favorite BBQ places are: 521 BBQ in Indian Land, SC for the ribs and brisket and Noble Smoke in Charlotte for, pardon me BBQ gods, the absolutely fantastic vegetables.

Back