This guy sez: 10 worst places to live in NC

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 135
  • Views: 2K

donbosco

Distinguished Member
Here’s the list — below is his 6 minute video.

10.Durham

9.Whiteville

8.Albemarle

7.Salisbury

6.Rocky Mount/High Point

5.Winston-Salem

4.Laurinburg

3.Fayetteville

2.Lumberton

1.Kinston

Nick Johnson - from 2021

Here’s the list — below is his 6 minute video.

10.Durham

9.Whiteville

8.Albemarle

7.Salisbury

6.Rocky Mount/High Point

5.Winston-Salem

4.Laurinburg

3.Fayetteville

2.Lumberton

1.Kinston

Nick Johnson - from 2021

Durham is definitely a shit town. Salisbury isn't bad - it has some old world, southern charm. Winston-Salem is one of the best cities in the state.

Kinston - yeah.

Don Bosco literally WTF. I'm thinking you're better than this as you know it's a racist list but shared anyway? Your history perspective is cool but you can't play every one and think in spite of your old people stories and bullshit you can slip in your own racist crap. Truthfully Durham is more popular than 80% of NC and that includes the mountains and the coast so rebut me or STFU. No hard feelings especially since I just learned that I am Generation Jones and hopefully you are not.

Durham is definitely a shit town. Salisbury isn't bad - it has some old world, southern charm. Winston-Salem is one of the best cities in the state.

Kinston - yeah.
I get the UNC-Duke hate. But FFS, Durham has among the best cultural offerings in the state. Top-notch restaurant, bar, arts and music scene—and very compact, easily accessible, and affordable.

Add that to the abundant jobs market in tech and med and other high-paying sectors.

Friends of mine who’ve moved out of state over the past 10 years regularly remark on how much they regret leaving Durham.

I'd replace Winston-Salem with Gastonia.

Durham doesn't deserve to be on this list either.
Yeah, Winston-Salem has come a long way over the past couple of decades - the downtown area is quite nice and thriving now. Lots of apartments and condos, breweries, restaurants, etc. I've definitely seen plenty of worse places in the state. And you're right about Gastonia too, and I'd add in Hickory and Statesville as well on the crappy list before I'd put Durham and Winston on there.

Hey man my cousin Tommy is trying to redo Gastonia and he's doing a pretty good damn good job! As for me I'm still pissed at Don Bosco but apparently that's his MO. Love you Dude let's fix the problem not to blame and unfortunately for you it's always about the future not the past you live in.
So this leads me to my favorite joke about North Carolina and every other quasi southern state in America the 10 generations of my people (poor) folks is about Holly Springs. I'm going to bed but.. never mind.

Don Bosco literally WTF. I'm thinking you're better than this as you know it's a racist list but shared anyway? Your history perspective is cool but you can't play every one and think in spite of your old people stories and bullshit you can slip in your own racist crap. Truthfully Durham is more popular than 80% of NC and that includes the mountains and the coast so rebut me or STFU. No hard feelings especially since I just learned that I am Generation Jones and hopefully you are not.

This reads like you are calling me a racist here. Am I correct that is what you’re doing? I try not to be at any rate. You’re saying that I have failed then? Perhaps so but it was certainly not my intention. Why attack me so? And the short essays I’ve posted. I gather you don’t like them either?

I’d rather not make an enemy so I hope I’m just either misunderstanding or being misunderstood.

Yeah that list is dumb except for Lumberton, Kinston, and Winston-Salem, which all belong on there. Winston-Salem is the only place I have been to where the bathrooms at restaurants require you to enter a key code to get in. Stopped there on the way to Tennessee and we had to go to four different restaurants before we found one that didn't lock the bathrooms.

Also, the list is very subjective and depends on your income and a lot of other factors. For example, if you are poor, would you rather be poor in Charlotte or Raleigh where you pretty much have to live in high-crime neighborhoods? Or would you rather be poor in the sticks someplace where your dollar stretches a lot farther?

I get the UNC-Duke hate. But FFS, Durham has among the best cultural offerings in the state. Top-notch restaurant, bar, arts and music scene—and very compact, easily accessible, and affordable.

Add that to the abundant jobs market in tech and med and other high-paying sectors.

Friends of mine who’ve moved out of state over the past 10 years regularly remark on how much they regret leaving Durham.
One of the problems with lists like these is that they ignore a lot of important factors. If you are a wealthy bro working in IT, Durham is great. If you are stuck in the hood because you can't afford to go anywhere else and are constantly hearing gunshots and cars drag racing, Durham is terrible. East Durham has a very high violent crime rate.

Durham is great. Glad Wiltson (sic) didn't make the list. Gotta admit small towns in Eastern NC are pretty depressing culturally for the most part, but things are picking up slowly. Rocky Mount has The Mills, Kinston has Mother Earth and The Chef and The Farmer, Wilson is building a minor league stadium downtown and all of them are close to good beaches. Baby steps...

I think I would do just fine living in Durham or Winston-Salem or Salisbury or even on one of the lakes outside Albemarle.

Those southeastern towns near SC like Whiteville, Lumberton, or Laurinburg? I get depressed just driving through there going to the beach. Rocky Mount or Kinston? Yeah, no thanks.

How did Wadesboro not make this list? And you can tell this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about by the way he pronounces Rowan County.

Wow. Silly list but the OP is now racist? I don't buy it. Guess the old ZZLP DNA runs strong here. Anyway, silly list as we can come up with another 10 just as bad. Thankfully, there are some great places across this state.

Since the timestamp on your post was after midnight and the follow-up post was after 2AM, I will write this off to you being up drinking late into the night.

Back