This guy sez: 10 worst places to live in NC

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 135
  • Views: 2K
Don Bosco literally WTF. I'm thinking you're better than this as you know it's a racist list but shared anyway? Your history perspective is cool but you can't play every one and think in spite of your old people stories and bullshit you can slip in your own racist crap. Truthfully Durham is more popular than 80% of NC and that includes the mountains and the coast so rebut me or STFU. No hard feelings especially since I just learned that I am Generation Jones and hopefully you are not.
SJ, I've been poasting in the same places with Professor @donbosco for going on 14 years, and I can assure he is 100% not racist. There's no way he meant that poast in the way you seem to have taken it.

Having spent a year living in Fayettenam that felt like ten, I would say the #3 ranking should be higher...
I have a good bud I play music with occasionally and he's also from Fayetteville and always refers to it as Fayettenam too. And it cracks me up every time :LOL:

And geez, I live in Lexington (on the southwestern Tyro side) and like it very much. He compared Salisbury to "slightly worse than Lexington." Love going into Winston too. To each his/her own, I suppose.

One of the problems with lists like these is that they ignore a lot of important factors. If you are a wealthy bro working in IT, Durham is great. If you are stuck in the hood because you can't afford to go anywhere else and are constantly hearing gunshots and cars drag racing, Durham is terrible. East Durham has a very high violent crime rate.
HUGE stereotype here. I assume you’ve not been to Durham much.

It ain’t just “wealthy tech bros working in IT.”

I and my peers work for various nonprofits. My neighbor on one side is a woman on disability. Neighbors on the other side are a family of 4, dad is an IT guy (but not a tech bro), mom is a school teacher.

On my street, I’ve got a couple realtors, a musician, an artist and his girlfriend. There are a couple duplexes with working-class folks renting.

None of us fear for our lives on a daily basis.

No doubt, East Durham has a high crime rate. But you really don’t seem to know much about the city if that’s all you know.

There are tons of reasons why Durham always ranks among the top cities in the US on most lists. This one’s a joke.

Last edited:
Why does it say Rocky Mount/High Point as #6? Those two are nowhere near each other.

No doubt. That's a weird tie. I guess they're saying Rocky Mount is a suburb of Raleigh and High Point is a suburb of Greensboro? High Point seems much closer and much, much less murdery.

I’ve lived in Buncombe County (mostly) for going on 11 years now and at times have lived in Asheville proper, other times in Weaverville, and now spend my mountain time in Fairview. Give me Weaverville first by a mile. And a ‘No Sirree’ to AVL. And as Gertrude Stein said about Oakland, in Fairview there’s “No There, There.”

I lived in The Gate City, the western side, for 4 years - GSO was good. It has most everything you need but you have to have a car and expect to drive a lot because no two things are situated together.

I lived for 4 years in Boone and it was a good place but keep a sleeping bag in your car because you’d better not drink and drive.

I lived in Chapel Hill and Carrboro for years and years and it’s still The Southern Part of Heaven in my heart and mind.

No doubt. That's a weird tie. I guess they're saying Rocky Mount is a suburb of Raleigh and High Point is a suburb of Greensboro? High Point seems much closer and much, much less murdery.
Agreed. High Point isn’t a great place or anything but it’s better than most of the places on that list. There are some really depressing towns in eastern NC that aren’t on the list.

I have always thought there was a racist vibe to all the blue states > red states conversations that were a frequent ancillary argument in zzlp. The idea was to attack white christians typically but what was ignored was the high minority populations in red states. And, yes. OP is innocent as charged in this thread.

I was born and raised in Durham. I don't think I would ever live there again, but I do like going to the Bulls games.

Kinston gets a weird bad rap all the time. Back in the 80s Kinston was awesome. But as tech came, tobacco died, the old money in the town died and it shrank considerably. Downtown was also stupidly built in a floodplain for the Neuse. Look at the high school. In the 80s, Kinston was a 4A school (as was Northeastern, the Wilson schools, etc). Now, it's a SMALL 2A school (and yeah I know those are all changing next year with the move to 8 divisions). But I will take a lot of aspects of Kinston over some of the small towns in the foothills any day. Lots of places in Yadkin County, for example, make me uncomfortable as Hell.

Kinston gets a weird bad rap all the time. Back in the 80s Kinston was awesome. But as tech came, tobacco died, the old money in the town died and it shrank considerably. Downtown was also stupidly built in a floodplain for the Neuse. Look at the high school. In the 80s, Kinston was a 4A school (as was Northeastern, the Wilson schools, etc). Now, it's a SMALL 2A school (and yeah I know those are all changing next year with the move to 8 divisions). But I will take a lot of aspects of Kinston over some of the small towns in the foothills any day. Lots of places in Yadkin County, for example, make me uncomfortable as Hell.
Is the school shrinking a "whtie fight " thing . People moving but maybe moreso White students just going to Charter/Private schools?

Back