This guy sez: 10 worst places to live in NC

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 135
  • Views: 2K
Is the school shrinking a "whtie fight " thing . People moving but maybe moreso White students just going to Charter/Private schools?
The whole town has been shrinking. I havent lived there since 87. But Kinston for some reason gets this rap, but look at places like Trenton that, IMO, would be WAY WORSE to live. Nowhere to eat, etc. Some of the school thing is charter, some are some newer high schools, but MOST is that the town just has been shrinking in population

Yeah that list is dumb except for Lumberton, Kinston, and Winston-Salem, which all belong on there. Winston-Salem is the only place I have been to where the bathrooms at restaurants require you to enter a key code to get in. Stopped there on the way to Tennessee and we had to go to four different restaurants before we found one that didn't lock the bathrooms.

Also, the list is very subjective and depends on your income and a lot of other factors. For example, if you are poor, would you rather be poor in Charlotte or Raleigh where you pretty much have to live in high-crime neighborhoods? Or would you rather be poor in the sticks someplace where your dollar stretches a lot farther?
I have no idea where you may have stopped but this doesn’t accurately describe W-S at all and in fact it belongs nowhere on this list.

And I’m saying this as someone that goes to W-S fairly often but would never choose to live there.

I have always thought there was a racist vibe to all the blue states > red states conversations that were a frequent ancillary argument in zzlp. The idea was to attack white christians typically but what was ignored was the high minority populations in red states. And, yes. OP is innocent as charged in this thread.
You really thought there was a "racist vibe" to the blue states > red states argument when blue areas, especially cities, are much more racially-diverse than red areas?

You really thought there was a "racist vibe" to the blue states > red states argument when blue areas, especially cities, are much more racially-diverse than red areas?
I think you will find that some of the states with highest A-A percentage populations are in Southeastern us. And yes. Many of those conversations regarded income and education levels, so yes I did think they had a racist vibe. I never weighed in on that point because zzlp was very poorly moderated and I knew what would happen

I think you will find that some of the states with highest A-A percentage populations are in Southeastern us. And yes. Many of those conversations regarded income and education levels, so yes I did think they had a racist vibe. I never weighed in on that point because zzlp was very poorly moderated and I knew what would happen
You realize that African-American isn't the only kind of racial/ethnic diversity, correct? And that, on the whole, blue areas are far more racially-diverse than red areas, correct?

You are correct that there is a correlation between income/education and racial minorities due to historic discrimination and that southern states do have more AA folks than many other places, but that doesn't make red states more racially/ethnically diverse than the blue states on the whole nor does the number of AAs in southern states explain the general economic development gaps between blue states and red states.

The whole town has been shrinking. I havent lived there since 87. But Kinston for some reason gets this rap, but look at places like Trenton that, IMO, would be WAY WORSE to live. Nowhere to eat, etc. Some of the school thing is charter, some are some newer high schools, but MOST is that the town just has been shrinking in population

Let us also not forget that Kinston gave us Jaime Pressly.
48t7un8ko0g71.jpg

In the determining what the worst towns in NC are, there are five questions that need to be asked. If the answer to any one of these five questions is “yes,” then the town is not among the worst in NC, regardless of how bad it may be. If the answer to all five questions is “no,” then this town should be considered among NC’s worst. Here are the questions:

1. Are there more than ten restaurants in this town that are not national fast food or casual dining chains?;
2. Is this town located in the mountains?;
3. Is this town located on the coast (“on the coast” can be defined as being located within a county that touches either the Atlantic Ocean or one of NC’s Outer Banks sounds)?;
4. Is this town a suburb of one of NC’s five most populous cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem)?
5. Is this town located in Orange or Chatham County?

You realize that African-American isn't the only kind of racial/ethnic diversity, correct? And that, on the whole, blue areas are far more racially-diverse than red areas, correct?

You are correct that there is a correlation between income/education and racial minorities due to historic discrimination and that southern states do have more AA folks than many other places, but that doesn't make red states more racially/ethnically diverse than the blue states on the whole nor does the number of AAs in southern states explain the general economic development gaps between blue states and red states.
My point is that during red states vs. blue state conversations on zzlp often income, education level and crime were used to impugn red states. I balked at pointing out that red states, especially in southeast us. Had high AA percentages which would push crime up. Income down and education down. I balked because I knew I would be accused of saying blacks are poor dumb and violent and you as a moderator would not only not provide cover but would join in. I dare say it here because the moderating , or lack of, seems more even. So far. Understand?

Having spent a year living in Fayettenam that felt like ten, I would say the #3 ranking should be higher...
Fayetteville is great now, not sure why it is even on the list. The only people still hating on Fayetteville are those who haven't been since the 1980s and still fall for old stereotypes. Has a great minor league ballpark downtown, downtown has been completely turned around and has great restaurants, breweries, festivals, etc. Also has lots of beautiful historic and safe neighborhoods that are still affordable.

Last edited:
HUGE stereotype here. I assume you’ve not been to Durham much.

It ain’t just “wealthy tech bros working in IT.”

I and my peers work for various nonprofits. My neighbor on one side is a woman on disability. Neighbors on the other side are a family of 4, dad is an IT guy (but not a tech bro), mom is a school teacher.

On my street, I’ve got a couple realtors, a musician, an artist and his girlfriend. There are a couple duplexes with working-class folks renting.

None of us fear for our lives on a daily basis.

No doubt, East Durham has a high crime rate. But you really don’t seem to know much about the city if that’s all you know.

There are tons of reasons why Durham always ranks among the top cities in the US on most lists. This one’s a joke.
I used to live just outside of Durham. Durham is great if you bought a house pre-2020 or if you have money. There is definitely a lot of good stuff going on there, and it has everything you need. It also has a high violent crime rate, which is why I said this list is subjective. If you make less than $100k per year, then Durham probably isn't going to be the best place for you.

I grew up in Durham, northern Durham from the age of ten. My parents still live up that way and we visit regularly, but my wife and I spent some time downtown a little while back and I’ve been to a few events at the DPAC. Durham has definitely improved since the 90’s and is a pretty cool spot now, in my opinion. I’ve considered moving back at some point.

I have no idea where you may have stopped but this doesn’t accurately describe W-S at all and in fact it belongs nowhere on this list.

And I’m saying this as someone that goes to W-S fairly often but would never choose to live there.
I don't know either, we stopped off of I-40 in Winston Salem and it was one of the worst places I have been to in North Carolina, and I have been to RobCo so that is saying a lot. I'm sure there are nice parts too but I have never experienced the locked restroom thing before.

My point is that during red states vs. blue state conversations on zzlp often income, education level and crime were used to impugn red states. I balked at pointing out that red states, especially in southeast us. Had high AA percentages which would push crime up. Income down and education down. I balked because I knew I would be accused of saying blacks are poor dumb and violent and you as a moderator would not only not provide cover but would join in. I dare say it here because the moderating , or lack of, seems more even. So far. Understand?
I understand that you're trying to have an IC ZZLP moderation discussion under the guise of discussing race and income/education.

My thoughts would be to leave that behind with the old board, but if the PTB here are ok with that discussion, I'm willing to have it.

I was born and raised in Durham. I don't think I would ever live there again, but I do like going to the Bulls games.
To each their own.

I love it.
I used to live just outside of Durham. Durham is great if you bought a house pre-2020 or if you have money. There is definitely a lot of good stuff going on there, and it has everything you need. It also has a high violent crime rate, which is why I said this list is subjective. If you make less than $100k per year, then Durham probably isn't going to be the best place for you.
I don’t make 100k. I just listed a bunch of my neighbors and acquaintances who surely don’t make 100k.

That said, obviously the more you make, the more fun you can have. Same is true of any city in America.

To each their own. But you’re wayyy off base.

Here’s the list — below is his 6 minute video.

10.Durham

9.Whiteville

8.Albemarle

7.Salisbury

6.Rocky Mount/High Point

5.Winston-Salem

4.Laurinburg

3.Fayetteville

2.Lumberton

1.Kinston

Nick Johnson - from 2021

I've only lived in one of those, so it's not my fault.

I have always thought there was a racist vibe to all the blue states > red states conversations that were a frequent ancillary argument in zzlp. The idea was to attack white christians typically but what was ignored was the high minority populations in red states. And, yes. OP is innocent as charged in this thread.
This is true of Southern red states, but Midwest red states (and Montana/Idaho/Wyoming/Utah - are they considered midwestern?) are far below the national average in minority population and certainly in Black population...

Back