This guy sez: 10 worst places to live in NC

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 135
  • Views: 2K
Decades ago I use to hitchhike-sometimes several hundred miles , mostly in the Midwest. The most frequent folks that would pick me up were Viet Vets Inevitably we would talk about where were from "me" - North Carolina "Them" -Oh Yea I spent some time in FayetteNam no likey

Decades ago I use to hitchhike-sometimes several hundred miles , mostly in the Midwest. The most frequent folks that would pick me up were Viet Vets Inevitably we would talk about where were from "me" - North Carolina "Them" -Oh Yea I spent some time in FayetteNam no likey
A lot has changed in a half century. Decades ago Durham was a crime infested cespool with no downtown. Thankfully, both areas are nothing like they were in the 1970s.

Yeah the reality is that there are dozens of sad, forgotten little towns that should be on this list before most of the cities on it. But I guess there's no point in making a list of a bunch of 1500 pop little towns where no one ever goes.

A lot has changed in a half century. Decades ago Durham was a crime infested cespool with no downtown. Thankfully, both areas are nothing like they were in the 1970s.
Durham still has a big problem with gun violence even though the American Tobacco campus and DPAC are nice.

Durham still has a big problem with gun violence even though the American Tobacco campus and DPAC are nice.
Yup, east Durham and some of the parts around Roxboro Street are pretty rough. That said, any medium to large-sized city in the south is going to have areas that are problematic with regard to crime. Gentrification can be both a blessing and a curse but either way it is happening in Durham just like it happened in Raleigh.

Yup, east Durham and some of the parts around Roxboro Street are pretty rough. That said, any medium to large-sized city in the south is going to have areas that are problematic with regard to crime. Gentrification can be both a blessing and a curse but either way it is happening in Durham just like it happened in Raleigh.
I think Durham still has more shootings per capita, though.

This thread has me wondering whatever happened to the Fish Camps of Gaston County.

I wasn’t in Winston long, but it was all right by me. I lived just about downtown across the street from some bikers who sold weed to Wake students. Every Sunday they’d bring the stereo outside, crank up the NASCAR broadcast, pitch horseshoes and drink beer until they were falling down drunk. RIP Rainbow Cafe.

I have a good bud I play music with occasionally and he's also from Fayetteville and always refers to it as Fayettenam too. And it cracks me up every time :LOL:
I grew up in Eastern NC and was a teenager in the 1960's and Fayettenam was what I hear it called as far back as I can remember. When I enlisted in the Army, the Recruiter asked if I had any preferences for where I was stationed. I replied, "Anywhere but Fayettenam." He laughed and said, "I think I can accommodate that."

But the strawberry festival!

Jk, great call on Chadbourn. Pass through it on the way to Myrtle Beach from Raleigh and it’s sad.
Google maps routed us through Chadbourn on our way to Cherry Grove last spring. My wife was astounded and appalled at the blight. It has to be a contender for worst town in the state. You’re right….its just sad.

This thread has me wondering whatever happened to the Fish Camps of Gaston County.

I wasn’t in Winston long, but it was all right by me. I lived just about downtown across the street from some bikers who sold weed to Wake students. Every Sunday they’d bring the stereo outside, crank up the NASCAR broadcast, pitch horseshoes and drink beer until they were falling down drunk. RIP Rainbow Cafe.
Twin tops, Catfish cove, captain’s cap, long’s creek are all still around. Lineberger’s burned down maybe 15-20 years ago but there’s a similar place in the same spot.

Not sure how well they are all doing/whether or not they are still popular though. Now that I think about it it’s been ages since I’ve been to any of those places.

Back