This thread is totally random

I just ordered 40 bareroot Virginia bluebells and 15 Jack in the Pulpit bulbs. Now I need to figure out a way to protect the bluebell bulbs from squirrels. I have a concept of a plan.
Who did you order them from?

I've been very skeptical about ordering plants online.

Who did you order them from?

I've been very skeptical about ordering plants online.
Ordered them through Etsy. The price was so cheap,40 dollars for 40 bareroot bluebells, that I took a flyer. If a quarter of them come up, it wouldn't be a loser.

Same with the Jack in the Pulpit. I think I paid less that 20 books.

Ordered them through Etsy. The price was so cheap,40 dollars for 40 bareroot bluebells, that I took a flyer. If a quarter of them come up, it wouldn't be a loser.

Same with the Jack in the Pulpit. I think I paid less that 20 books.
That is a good price. I looked these up to see what they look like, the site I went to first had them for $5 each.

I've found a couple of plants that I would love to have and don't see at the local nurseries, but I'm hesitant to order online. I don't want to receive a broken or dead plant.

Let us know how yours turn out.

That is a good price. I looked these up to see what they look like, the site I went to first had them for $5 each.

I've found a couple of plants that I would love to have and don't see at the local nurseries, but I'm hesitant to order online. I don't want to receive a broken or dead plant.

Let us know how yours turn out.
Etsy has an insurance policy that is supposed to cover that. This is my first time dealing with them so I don't know how well it works. It's supposed to cover both damage and non delivery. It's either free or like a dollar or something.

Much of my hometown, Rocky Mount, was under water 25 years ago thanks to the Hurricane Floyd flood. The Tar River crested at 32 feet 11 inches here, 17 feet 11 inches above flood stage.

Much of my hometown, Rocky Mount, was under water 25 years ago thanks to the Hurricane Floyd flood. The Tar River crested at 32 feet 11 inches here, 17 feet 11 inches above flood stage.
I used to use the Rocky Mount Tire and Service Center on Stone Rose when I lived there and they had pictures posted from then.

My bare root plants will be here this weekend. I'm getting the materials for the protectors today. I hope they work. I made them up out of my fertile imagination . I hope that doesn't mean I'm FOS.

My plan is to take a piece of four inch corrugated perforated plastic drain pipe and cut it in roughly three inch sections. Then I'm going to put a four and a half square piece of half inch mesh hardware cloth. After I plant the root I'll lightly embed the pipe, put the hardware cloth over it and pin it down on the corners with six inch long ground staples like they use for landscaping cloth. I figure the perforated won't trap water and drown the roots as badly. We'll see how it works. If it does, the stuff should be reusable.

The testing to get your driver's license needs to be much more comprehensive.

You should be allowed to nudge people who are moving 10-15 mph under the speed limit on roads where you cannot pass them.

I'm much less cynical as I grow older, but I still wonder why so many humans are willing to screw over anyone for money.

I'm much less cynical as I grow older, but I still wonder why so many humans are willing to screw over anyone for money.
I made up my mind that cynicism made the most sense when I was twelve. After 60 years of unswerving dedication, I can't imagine changing.

The testing to get your driver's license needs to be much more comprehensive.

You should be allowed to nudge people who are moving 10-15 mph under the speed limit on roads where you cannot pass them.
Oh come on! Act like you spent at least some of your life in North Carolina. The maneuver you are talking about is known as "the Petty Tap." Richard Petty used it frequently during his career in NASCAR. He used it once on I-85 while running as the GOP candidate for NC Secretary of State with much less effect. When asked about the resulting traffic citation, he was quoted as saying, IIRC, "Oh, come on, it was just a little Petty Tap."

Oh come on! Act like you spent at least some of your life in North Carolina. The maneuver you are talking about is known as "the Petty Tap." Richard Petty used it frequently during his career in NASCAR. He used it once on I-85 while running as the GOP candidate for NC Secretary of State with much less effect. When asked about the resulting traffic citation, he was quoted as saying, IIRC, "Oh, come on, it was just a little Petty Tap."
Yes, I recall that story. (y)

Back