UNC Basketball Thread

Totally agree. I think this can be a really good bridge year building block type opportunity for UVA. They’ve got some good pieces, especially with Isaac McNeely, and they’ve got some good pieces coming in both as first years and transfers. It will be one of those things where it takes them a year or two or three to really gel as a unit and to fully grasp the intricacies of Tony’s system, but I think the pieces are there for another good run of UVA basketball basketball like they had in the mid 2010s. I was really glad to see them give Tony Contract extension. I understand they have had a lot of NCAA tournament struggles since the 2019 championship, but I’m not sure there is any better coach who fits any better at the University of Virginia than Tony. And from what I’ve been hearing and reading, there are some tweaks coming in there pacing and style of play and offensive philosophy.
Yeah, time for McKneeley to step up and be the guy. We kind of changed portal strategy after limited success the last couple of years. Got away from productive low major guys like Rhode & Minor who ended up not really being ACC caliber, and focused on highly recruited younger guys who just didn’t play a ton at their first stop, like Power & Ames.

Welcome to the UVA wahoos thread folks… is Jeff Jones any kin to John Paul? Is Roanoke part of the Shenandoah Valley? Did Tommy Jeff cut out parts of the Bible to make his own version? Did he screw any of his slaves? Maybe just the house hands (not the farm variety?)

Jesus F Jingling. Talk politics or go back to your own basketball board.

Winning trumps style points and we’ve done that a lot in the last 10 years. But admittedly at times last season…especially the NCAA Tournament loss…was brutal.

But keeping things UNC, and to keep Center from having an aneurysm, I’ll share my favorite UNC player to watch of all time. Even though he was the enemy, damn I loved watching Antwan Jamison play. IMO one of the most underrated Heels.

Winning trumps style points and we’ve done that a lot in the last 10 years. But admittedly at times last season…especially the NCAA Tournament loss…was brutal.

But keeping things UNC, and to keep Center from having an aneurysm, I’ll share my favorite UNC player to watch of all time. Even though he was the enemy, damn I loved watching Antwan Jamison play. IMO one of the most underrated Heels.

Jamison scored 35 points against Duke and only had the ball in his hands for a total of 53 seconds of game time.

Totally agree. I think this can be a really good bridge year building block type opportunity for UVA. They’ve got some good pieces, especially with Isaac McNeely, and they’ve got some good pieces coming in both as first years and transfers. It will be one of those things where it takes them a year or two or three to really gel as a unit and to fully grasp the intricacies of Tony’s system, but I think the pieces are there for another good run of UVA basketball basketball like they had in the mid 2010s. I was really glad to see them give Tony Contract extension. I understand they have had a lot of NCAA tournament struggles since the 2019 championship, but I’m not sure there is any better coach who fits any better at the University of Virginia than Tony. And from what I’ve been hearing and reading, there are some tweaks coming in there pacing and style of play and offensive philosophy.
I’ll believe Tony Bennett is changing his offensive strategy (slow as hell) and defensive game plan (foul early, foul often, foul again) when I see the changes.

He seems like a good person; his style of play is bad for the game.

Ball don't lie . .

Happy Birthday 'Sheed . . !
My proudest (okay maybe that is an exaggeration) moment as the dad of a kid soccer player came last weekend during a game where the ref had been making some pretty bad calls. They called a pretty egregiously bad foul on my son (center back) in the box and when the keeper stopped the penalty kick, I bellowed out my best Sheed "Ball don't lie" shout. It felt really good (although I am sure everyone looked at me like I was a nutjob).

Underrated?? Antawn is my favorite Tar Heel player ever. If I was picking an all time UNC team, he'd be my first pick. Granted, there are at least a dozen first picks on such a team that you couldn't go wrong with, but Twan would be mine...

Underrated?? Antawn is my favorite Tar Heel player ever. If I was picking an all time UNC team, he'd be my first pick. Granted, there are at least a dozen first picks on such a team that you couldn't go wrong with, but Twan would be mine...
I think the CBB world (outside of UNC fans) would look at Hansbrough, Jordan and maybe Ford as the top tier. There’s just so many to pick from it’s hard to start naming names. As I recall (maybe I’m a year off) I don’t believe Jamison was even the top recruit in his class…wasn’t that Carter? Either way, a legend…UVa was pretty bad in that era, so I actually enjoyed watching him play, even though we’re programmed not to.

If there were to be a Mt. Rushmore of UNC basketball players, while I don’t think Jamison would end up being one of the faces carved into the mountain, I do think he would make the final 8 considered along with Lennie Rosenbluth, Larry Miller, Charlie Scott, Phil Ford, James Worthy, Michael Jordan, and Tyler Hansbrough.

So, I agree that winning trumps style in the short term, but in the long run you need style to keep it interesting or people start to lose interest and move to other options.

There are so many options today, why would one choose slow paced boring style?

It's part of baseballs issue and why the are working to increase the scoring and pace of the games.

Just my opinion. 😁

Folks, there really is a general, catch all college basketball thread already. This is a UNC specific bball thread.

Please take your yahoo wahoo arses out of here. Even the d00kies took the hint 2 pages ago.

Anymore mentions of d00k or UVA better be about us whoopin dat ass, or at least about how Bennett sux and Krat looks stoopid on those commercials.

Back