UNC Basketball Thread

I saw on Facebook that some folks are upset about the end of Late Night/Live Action. I wish the blue-white game was still played at the Dean Dome, but I thought everything else with Late Night/Live Action had become boring.
I agree. Most years, we only get to Late Night and a cheaper non-conference game. But we skipped Late Night last year. It had been feeling a bit repetitive, even though they tweaked it each year. And attendance was clearly dropping off. I don't know if we need to go full concert like Kansas, but the concept needs a total re-imagining.

@quakerdevil @aGDevil2k @Duke Mu @dukeman92 @maxcrowder I think y’all should feel free to start a Duke basketball thread if you want. I’d love to participate in good, thoughtful discussion about the other half of the greatest rivalry in sports. IC and TDD have plenty of ridiculous trash talk to wade through, I’d much rather discuss Duke and Carolina basketball with more knowledgeable and more rational folks like those which comprise this community.
Well if you want rational, I'll have to figure out how to keep my other personality from posting. :p

Totally not rational. I’d argue that I’m 100% fanatical when it comes to despising all things d00k and most especially the bball team. And I would just as soon they go back to TDD for their fix on that subject. It was nice of them to welcome some from IC over there when ZZLP went away… but since this board is up now, I can’t see the need nor desire for a Tar Heel to venture there anymore. Nor do I see the need for a d00k bball thread to start around these parts. That just wouldn’t be cricket.
There is a very simple solution to that …

IMG_0633.jpeg

@quakerdevil @aGDevil2k @Duke Mu @dukeman92 @maxcrowder I think y’all should feel free to start a Duke basketball thread if you want. I’d love to participate in good, thoughtful discussion about the other half of the greatest rivalry in sports. IC and TDD have plenty of ridiculous trash talk to wade through, I’d much rather discuss Duke and Carolina basketball with more knowledgeable and more rational folks like those which comprise this community.

I simply just don’t care as much as I used to. I still watch the games and hope they win but I can’t name one kid that’s coming in this year other than Cooper Flagg. I just don’t follow recruiting like I used to. NIL, the portal, the constant roster turnover… it’s just impossible to follow with any regularity.

I know I sound like an old man but you used to watch these kids for three or four years, watch them grow, get better… and not just at Duke, in the ACCs heyday you knew the roster of every team. You watched as the conference grew and it was easy to cheer for your conference (except for Carolina 😉) but it’s just not the same.

I’m too old for that krat, tar hole, nonsense. That’s a young man’s game. Good luck this season, except for when you play Duke.

I simply just don’t care as much as I used to. I still watch the games and hope they win but I can’t name one kid that’s coming in this year other than Cooper Flagg. I just don’t follow recruiting like I used to. NIL, the portal, the constant roster turnover… it’s just impossible to follow with any regularity.

I know I sound like an old man but you used to watch these kids for three or four years, watch them grow, get better… and not just at Duke, in the ACCs heyday you knew the roster of every team. You watched as the conference grew and it was easy to cheer for your conference (except for Carolina 😉) but it’s just not the same.

I’m too old for that krat, tar hole, nonsense. That’s a young man’s game. Good luck this season, except for when you play Duke.
Man, that is almost verbatim how I have started to feel about college sports and especially college basketball. You nailed it.

For decades I could tell you where every Carolina regular went to HS. Now I can't tell you how many colleges they have been too.......... NO clue about HS

Amen to this. At the beginning of last season, I knew Duke had Flip, Proctor and Jeremy Roach. These days it almost feels like a minor miracle to know three players from a team you don't root for at the start of the season. For State, I just knew DJ Burns. And I don't think any of Wake's players ever registered with me at all. Couldn't name one from last year's team right now.

For decades I could tell you where every Carolina regular went to HS. Now I can't tell you how many colleges they have been too.......... NO clue about HS
I used to follow college basketball recruiting very closely. Now I hardly pay attention. I have some familiarity with the names of players UNC is recruiting, but don’t know much more about them and don’t really keep up with what’s going on throughout the course of the recruitment. I’m also getting to the point where I can’t remember everybody who is on the roster before the season starts.

Completely understand. I don't know any of the Duke (spelled it this way to be nice) freshmen this year, other than Flagg, either. 😁

But I do know about my Tar Heels. :cool:

It’s funny, HS recruiting is arguably the most important thing about college sports, but it feels pretty weird to follow it super closely. I had a premium IC account for awhile in the years right after I graduated specifically to keep up with recruiting, then somewhere along the way started losing the interest in that. I still keep up with the high level recruiting ranking trends on 247, but my days of waiting to hear the details of how a HS junior’s recruiting visit went are behind me lol.

Came across my first college basketball preseason magazine of the season today. I think it was Lindys. They’ve got Carolina as the preseason number seven ranked team in the country with Duke right behind us at eight. The top three ACC projected order of finish was Carolina, Duke, and Virginia Virginia. They have Carolina and Duke projected as elite eight teams, Virginia as a Round of 32 team. They have NC State not qualifying for the postseason, which gave me a very hearty chuckle because fuck NC State.

I used to follow college basketball recruiting very closely. Now I hardly pay attention. I have some familiarity with the names of players UNC is recruiting, but don’t know much more about them and don’t really keep up with what’s going on throughout the course of the recruitment. I’m also getting to the point where I can’t remember everybody who is on the roster before the season starts.

Gimme a couple of weeks and I'll know all of their birthdays.

Came across my first college basketball preseason magazine of the season today. I think it was Lindys. They’ve got Carolina as the preseason number seven ranked team in the country with Duke right behind us at eight. The top three ACC projected order of finish was Carolina, Duke, and Virginia Virginia. They have Carolina and Duke projected as elite eight teams, Virginia as a Round of 32 team. They have NC State not qualifying for the postseason, which gave me a very hearty chuckle because fuck NC State.
I’d take a #3 finish and 2nd round of NCAA’s this year. Feel like this year is a building block for next year for my Hoos. Added some good pieces, but they haven’t played together, but almost all are back in 2025.

It’s funny, HS recruiting is arguably the most important thing about college sports, but it feels pretty weird to follow it super closely. I had a premium IC account for awhile in the years right after I graduated specifically to keep up with recruiting, then somewhere along the way started losing the interest in that. I still keep up with the high level recruiting ranking trends on 247, but my days of waiting to hear the details of how a HS junior’s recruiting visit went are behind me lol.
HS recruiting has become drastically less important and less interesting since the portal. Half the players we successfully recruit will end up playing for a different school, and half of our roster will be players we never recruited out of high school.

I’d take a #3 finish and 2nd round of NCAA’s this year. Feel like this year is a building block for next year for my Hoos. Added some good pieces, but they haven’t played together, but almost all are back in 2025.
Totally agree. I think this can be a really good bridge year building block type opportunity for UVA. They’ve got some good pieces, especially with Isaac McNeely, and they’ve got some good pieces coming in both as first years and transfers. It will be one of those things where it takes them a year or two or three to really gel as a unit and to fully grasp the intricacies of Tony’s system, but I think the pieces are there for another good run of UVA basketball basketball like they had in the mid 2010s. I was really glad to see them give Tony Contract extension. I understand they have had a lot of NCAA tournament struggles since the 2019 championship, but I’m not sure there is any better coach who fits any better at the University of Virginia than Tony. And from what I’ve been hearing and reading, there are some tweaks coming in there pacing and style of play and offensive philosophy.

Back