What's the history behind the Zigga Zoomba Lounge?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rock
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 314
  • Views: 5K
  • Off-Topic 
...or can shed light on the Rivals/247 rivalry.
It seems that for nearly every major university one of the recruiting/discussion sites becomes the "main" one for that school and, thereafter, there seems to be some sort of identity attached what site you then choose to utilize.

Those that post on the main site for each school seemingly get some sort of reflected glory from being on the "best" site for that school and think that they are somehow affiliated with the "best" for that fan base. And those that post more at smaller sites often seemingly have a chip on their shoulders about the main site. (I've also noticed that those who post on the smaller sites have often been banned or otherwise run off from the larger site.)

Some of it is just tribalism in a silly form, I think. But for those involved, maybe more for those who post on the smaller sites, it's a pretty tangible thing.

Back in the day when there was really only TheInsiders/Scout network vs Rivals network, there was also a pretty-strongly held belief that TheInsiders/Scout was better with basketball recruiting info and RIvals with football recruiting info. That led to some division between subscribers at each site, particularly for those schools where basketball was viewed as being better than or equal to football. But that's been a long time ago and I would doubt that would still be a large driver of any differences, particularly since football recruiting is really what drives both 247 and Rivals at this point.

Have to ask about this. Was doing some research about ZZL and came across this in the Google results:

IMG_5755.jpeg

It's amusing because KUs 247 site, Phog.net, has a beef with the Rivals site and they also call each other TOS. Anyway, just wondered if anyone recognized the posters or can shed light on the Rivals/247 rivalry.
The OP has been a poster on IC for at least a few years now lol

And of course, no discussion of the ZZL/ZZL-P is complete without some good ol' conservative victimhood complex.

Oh we don't need to compare!

I will say, you bumping this gives me an opportunity to ask what everyone's opinion is about changing the URL to being ziggazoombalounge.com instead of zzlpolitics.com? It's an incredibly minor change, all it does is change the address you see in your address bar. Typing in zzlpolitics.com would still take you here, it'd just show ziggazoombalounge.com in the addy bar after.

My thinking is the logo says ZZL and as we grow, maybe ZZL is more welcoming than seeming like we're solely about politics. Though we kind of are of course. 😬

And my other thought was, there already is a ZZL so it's kind of like putting a shot across their bow. 😅

I will say, you bumping this gives me an opportunity to ask what everyone's opinion is about changing the URL to being ziggazoombalounge.com instead of zzlpolitics.com? It's an incredibly minor change, all it does is change the address you see in your address bar. Typing in zzlpolitics.com would still take you here, it'd just show ziggazoombalounge.com in the addy bar after.

My thinking is the logo says ZZL and as we grow, maybe ZZL is more welcoming than seeming like we're solely about politics. Though we kind of are of course. 😬

And my other thought was, there already is a ZZL so it's kind of like putting a shot across their bow. 😅
Do It GIF

I would be fine with it
I would like to be able to Chose a Politics "subboard " I will read the others , but focus on the politics discussions

I would be fine with it
I would like to be able to Chose a Politics "subboard " I will read the others , but focus on the politics discussions
You can read only politics by selecting the politics filter in the menu, the three little lines near your name.

Screenshot 2024-09-15 224244.png

You could even bookmark that so you'd always just go to politics: Politics & Other Topics

I'm 100% in favor of a url change to ziggazoombalounge.com

I agree that having "politics" in the url is limiting and unnecessary
I'm not an IP attorney, I do not play one on TV, and I most definitely did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I'd be a bit careful about the change. They still have a ZZL. They have abandoned the ZZLP. By switching over to ZZL, it seems like it could open the door to them giving this site legal grief.

It's also good we are not using their image at the top of the site any longer.

I'm not an IP attorney, I do not play one on TV, and I most definitely did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I'd be a bit careful about the change. They still have a ZZL. They have abandoned the ZZLP. By switching over to ZZL, it seems like it could open the door to them giving this site legal grief.

It's also good we are not using their image at the top of the site any longer.

They named an off-topic board/subreddit after an old UNC fight song - wasn't even 247 that did that either - I'm no IP attorney either, but it would really surprise me if they had any rights to that name.

Back