ZZLP impact on IC?

Batt Boy

Exceptional Member
Is there any? Just from my perspective, after I did my normal morning routine of checking on bees, goats and dogs and come here. I haven't been to IC more than twice in the past month. Just wondering if our absence has even registered a blip.

I haven't checked in over there in weeks. But I was basically ZZL-only, other than visiting the premium football or basketball boards after a game.

My time on IC is definitely way down, though it will likely pick back up once football season actually starts.

I'm sure closing down the ZZLP on IC has had a traffic impact, but I don't think I could even make an educated guess about how significant it's been. You could tell me it caused traffic to fall by 2% or that it caused it to fall by 15% and I'd believe either number. But my (uneducated) guess is that it's closer to the former number than the latter.

down for me but had already slowed on the TPP because of all the negativity and the idiots boasting about how much a few know about the move to the P2

I don't know how much it has impacted overall IC board traffic, but I suspect the impact on regular ZZL traffic has been significant. The intersection of ZZL and ZZLP users was significant.

I’ve never been a moderator of an Internet forum so I admit that I maybe don’t have the best perspective.

Still, I don’t get why IC took such a hard line against any political discussion. I don’t buy the “it’s a sports site first and foremost” logic either. It’s not like you get directed straight to the ZZL or ZZLP when you go to the site; you have to really go out of your way to navigate to those boards. Now I can understand why they would want to split ZZL and ZZLP into two boards to keep the ZZL for getting overrun with threads that are directly about elections, policies, etc. Occasionally though there are topics that aren’t directly political but the discussion might veer slightly into politics.

For example, the new UNC Chancellor is obviously something people associated with the university are interested in, but there’s also a political element to that situation. The thread about it on the ZZL got promptly shut down because of politics. If you don’t like the way a topic like that is being discussed or disagree with some of the political stances related to it or you’re afraid that an anonymous person on the internet is being too mean about it, how fricking hard is it to simply not look at that particular post? I don’t get it.

I don't know how much it has impacted overall IC board traffic, but I suspect the impact on regular ZZL traffic has been significant. The intersection of ZZL and ZZLP users was significant.
I still poke my head in there occasionally and traffic on the ZZL-V is down significantly.

Well, I have been banned from there so I don't know. Some mod on the hoops board banned me from the whole site and I have no idea why.

My time on IC is probably down 95%. Granted, we're currently in the sports dead-zone, but my fervor for college sports has cooled significantly the last few years. With young kids now, I just don't have the room anymore for passionate fandom.

And for football, if we couldn't win anything in 5 years with Howell and Maye, who gives a shit?

I’ve never been a moderator of an Internet forum so I admit that I maybe don’t have the best perspective.

Still, I don’t get why IC took such a hard line against any political discussion. I don’t buy the “it’s a sports site first and foremost” logic either. It’s not like you get directed straight to the ZZL or ZZLP when you go to the site; you have to really go out of your way to navigate to those boards. Now I can understand why they would want to split ZZL and ZZLP into two boards to keep the ZZL for getting overrun with threads that are directly about elections, policies, etc. Occasionally though there are topics that aren’t directly political but the discussion might veer slightly into politics.

For example, the new UNC Chancellor is obviously something people associated with the university are interested in, but there’s also a political element to that situation. The thread about it on the ZZL got promptly shut down because of politics. If you don’t like the way a topic like that is being discussed or disagree with some of the political stances related to it or you’re afraid that an anonymous person on the internet is being too mean about it, how fricking hard is it to simply not look at that particular post? I don’t get it.
Purely a financial/logistical decision IMO. They got tired of spending the time and money moderating a free board that didn't directly contribute subscriber revenue and probably was making a few of their paying (sports) subscribers whine about being bullied by the librul mob over on the politics board. The Trump assassination threads and a growing stream of confident MAGA posters after the Biden debate debacle were the last straw; those two things led to a big uptick in trolling, combativeness, and needed moderator and admin attention. IMO Ben Sherman (who never liked or cared about the ZZL or ZZLP) likely just got fed up with the whole thing and foresaw it getting even worse over the next three months.

Kinda related, but it takes me forever on my work computer (in Chrome) to login to 247. I have to click and click and click..... Nowhere else is like this.
You must either be in incognito mode or have some crazy work internet filter for that. I don't have any issues in chrome.

If they allowed political threads and moderated them, they'd end up having to ban a good chunk of their paid subscribers, and if Kamala wins they'd probably just have to just shut down the Tar Pit.

I can see why they made the decision. In retrospect I'm super glad they did, because this new site is better an a lot of ways.

It may be the biggest understatement in the history of understatements to say that this new board is, like, entire universes better than the old one in terms of usability, functionality, and just general fun/ease-of-use. I stopped my 10+ year IC premium subscription the day that the announced that they were closing the ZZLP, not because I didn't enjoy the premium content on the site, but because I'm not going to financially support a site that caves in to a small minority of whiny posters whose very existence was somehow irreparably negatively impacted by the presence of the ZZLP. IC made their business decision- and I fully respect it and their right to do so- and I made my business decision. We love the free markets, don't we folks?!

Also, there are plenty of other ways in which I can get my fill of UNC sports content, and I was already at a point over the last few years where I didn't post often on the main sports boards. So I figured there's better uses for my $120/year.

Last edited:
Purely a financial/logistical decision IMO. They got tired of spending the time and money moderating a free board that didn't directly contribute subscriber revenue and probably was making a few of their paying (sports) subscribers whine about being bullied by the librul mob over on the politics board. The Trump assassination threads and a growing stream of confident MAGA posters after the Biden debate debacle were the last straw; those two things led to a big uptick in trolling, combativeness, and needed moderator and admin attention. IMO Ben Sherman (who never liked or cared about the ZZL or ZZLP) likely just got fed up with the whole thing and foresaw it getting even worse over the next three months.
Yeah I agree that that’s probably how it all played out, and the ZZLP was getting pretty messy. Still though, how much effort did it really take to moderate that board? And if you’re going to get rid of ZZLP, it seems inevitable that ZZL will be gone too. With their zero tolerance policy they’re going to have to spend even more time than before curbing the political discussion.

Back