ZZLP impact on IC?

It is so funny, though, that all of the MAGAs and Trumpers came scurrying over to the ZZLP- many/most of them for the first time ever- to spike the football and taunt the libs for the ~2 weeks or so where it appeared, post-debate, where Trump was going to cruise to a victory. Now that the tide is completely reversed and we are watching Trump completely unravel in real time and heading straight for an asskicking in November, they're nowhere to be found. Sad!

It may be the biggest understatement in the history of understatements to say that this new board is, like, entire universes better than the old one in terms of usability, functionality, and just general fun/ease-of-use. I stopped my 10+ year IC premium subscription the day that the announced that they were closing the ZZLP, not because I didn't enjoy the premium content on the sire, but because I'm not going to financially support a site that caves in to a small minority of whiny posters whose very existence was somehow irreparably negatively impacted by the presence of the ZZLP. IC made their business decision- and I fully respect it and their right to do so- and I made my business decision. We love the free markets, don't we folks?!

Also, there are plenty of other ways in which I can get my fill of UNC sports content, and I was already at a point over the last few years where I didn't post often on the main sports boards. So I figured there's better uses for my $120/year.
Yeah, this should probably be in a separate pinned thread, but Rock deserves one of the biggest of these of all time.

standing ovation applause GIF

My time on IC is probably down 95%. Granted, we're currently in the sports dead-zone, but my fervor for college sports has cooled significantly the last few years. With young kids now, I just don't have the room anymore for passionate fandom.

And for football, if we couldn't win anything in 5 years with Howell and Maye, who gives a shit?
The direction that college athletes is going makes it less enjoyable than it once was.

They need to fix some issues, so the focus can be on the games.

It may be the biggest understatement in the history of understatements to say that this new board is, like, entire universes better than the old one in terms of usability, functionality, and just general fun/ease-of-use. I stopped my 10+ year IC premium subscription the day that the announced that they were closing the ZZLP, not because I didn't enjoy the premium content on the sire, but because I'm not going to financially support a site that caves in to a small minority of whiny posters whose very existence was somehow irreparably negatively impacted by the presence of the ZZLP. IC made their business decision- and I fully respect it and their right to do so- and I made my business decision. We love the free markets, don't we folks?!
This is well said. I understand why IC made that decision, but I also think it was silly that posters were getting so triggered over the ZZLP when all they needed to do was simply not look at that particular board.

At the end of the day though it was probably for the best. The UI of this board is infinitely better than the IC site (on mobile at least), and more importantly, this board hasn’t been totally overrun with trolls like Kik and OCS yet.

I think that the absolute best part of this new board, aside from the incredible functionality, is that virtually every single member of the community who you'd want to remain a member of the community, migrated over here seamlessly without missing a beat. That's been the best part, seeing pretty much *all* of the usernames that I was hoping would make it over here, actually make it over here.

The direction that college athletes is going makes it less enjoyable than it once was.

They need to fix some issues, so the focus can be on the games.
Totally agree. I'll still watch and pull for the Heels but my give-a-damn about this upcoming football season is legitimately the lowest it has ever been in my now 25th year of being a Carolina football fan, dating back to the 2000 season when I was in 5th grade. I was texting with a group of my diehard UNC football buddies just this morning, as a matter of fact, and we were commenting on how surreal it is to be two weeks from the start of the season and....none of us really care like we once did.

Totally agree. I'll still watch and pull for the Heels but my give-a-damn about this upcoming football season is legitimately the lowest it has ever been in my now 25th year of being a Carolina football fan, dating back to the 2000 season when I was in 5th grade. I was texting with a group of my diehard UNC football buddies just this morning, as a matter of fact, and we were commenting on how surreal it is to be two weeks from the start of the season and....none of us really care like we once did.
I had season tickets for 18 years. After squandering Howell and Maye I'm kind of over it.

Same. Dropped my season ticket this offseason and have absolutely zero regrets about doing so.
I actually dropped mine after the 2017 season. It was partially due to having young kids who were taking up more weekend time with sports, but also was tired of watching bad football and not being able to get friends to even go with me. I still go to 2-3 games a year, I just scalp tickets now. I do miss having the parking pass. I almost bought back in when Mack came back and there was excitement again, but I just told myself to remember the lessons of UNC football and decided not to.

Yeah I agree that that’s probably how it all played out, and the ZZLP was getting pretty messy. Still though, how much effort did it really take to moderate that board? And if you’re going to get rid of ZZLP, it seems inevitable that ZZL will be gone too. With their zero tolerance policy they’re going to have to spend even more time than before curbing the political discussion.
From what I’ve seen the Shark Tank is moderated well. It has less traffic, but transgressions are pretty quickly identified and addressed. Insults and language that were routine on ZZZL-P are ban worthy on ST. I think that helps a lot.

I had season tickets for 18 years. After squandering Howell and Maye I'm kind of over it.
The only thing worse than the general negativity on Tar Pit are the posters like Bartholomew who patrol every thread and condescendingly berate anyone who says anything even remotely critical of the team.

You must either be in incognito mode or have some crazy work internet filter for that. I don't have any issues in chrome.
might be the work filter, idk. The login page doesn't respond when I click to login. I'll have to click the cursor in to the username and password fields (it's all auto-filled in Chrome) and sometimes refresh the screen to get it to log me in. Happens nowhere else or on any other website.

Yeah, this should probably be in a separate pinned thread, but Rock deserves one of the biggest of these of all time.

standing ovation applause GIF
It really highlights what a resource hog 247 is. I’ve got an old phone and browsing threads on IC was incredibly tedious. It could take almost 2 minutes for a page of posts to load and might suck 5% of my battery. This takes a couple seconds and I can read several pages without any noticeable draw from the battery reserve.

And that new car smell…

The only thing worse than the general negativity on Tar Pit are the posters like Bartholomew who patrol every thread and condescendingly berate anyone who says anything even remotely critical of the team.
There is a poster that I think is still active on TP premium that used the "R" word a few years back on multiple threads. I reported him and nothing was ever done. Ben's response (slightly paraphrased was "I understand why that's offensive. Hopefully we can get a profanity filter someday"

You must either be in incognito mode or have some crazy work internet filter for that. I don't have any issues in chrome.
I have issues with Chrome on a PC. For some reason everything work better in incognito mode. But I have to log in every time I visit using incognito.

This site is far superior to the old zzlp.

and for me, Tar Heel Times is a more than adequate replacement for basketball and football info

Thanks for the plug. I own Tar Heel Times, so let me know if you have any suggestions on how to make it better for you. And also, thanks to the site admins here for setting up such a great ZZLP alternative. It's much appreciated, and I'm a regular visitor now.

i've definitely spent significantly more time here since it opened than on IC.

once football (and then basketball) actually start i'll get back over there more.

Honestly, I had already reduced my presence on the BB boards because of the BS on the portal threads, the negativity about recruiting, and the negativity toward coach and players.

Also, the board not rendering correctly in edge browser is a pain.

I still check in, but my posting is down 95%
agree strongly with your first thought. the constant barrage of negativity in basically every thread, far beyond what is reasonable or reflective of reality, is sooo tiresome.

there are some really miserable people over there. i'd hate to see how they react to actual problems in their real lives.

Back