2024 National & State Elections (Not POTUS)

I think Tester pulls it out, by the way. Incumbency always seems to count for a few unexpected points in those small state Senate races.
I hope so. But in past cycles, IIRC, he's never been down this far. And my guess is that Cook knows plenty about the power of incumbency in those Western states, and has taken it into account. I mean, the race is "lean R" and not "likely R," so it's not over. Still, I don't know nearly enough about Montana politics to be able to say that the polls aren't telling the right story right now.

IOW, I can't see your "I think" as more than a "gut feel."

Senate candidates can only swim against the current for so long, and they often need good luck to hang on. Because Senate terms are so long, it can seem that they have been there forever, but Tester has only won three Senate races. The first was in the blue wave of '06. The third was in the blue wave of '18. He hung on in '12, but I don't think his opponent was strong (he had already run for Senate once and lost).

It reminds me of Claire McCaskill. She also won in the blue wave of '06. She held on in '12 because her opponent was the incredibly awful guy, Mr. "Legitimate rape" himself, Todd Akin. But her goose was cooked. She lost in '18, running against an opponent who managed to keep his misogyny at least a little bit under wraps.

I fear the same outcome for Sherrod Brown, but he's in a bit stronger position than Claire McCaskill (I can't really speak to Tester vs Brown). Ohio isn't THAT red, and at least some of the red there are union folk who tend to put culture war stuff ahead of their own economic interests. But as they showed in 2012, they won't necessarily do that infinitely. They did not like Mitt Romney one bit. And Bernie Moreno is a car salesman who was sued multiple times for wage theft. Gotta think he won't be popular in the union households, or at least less popular than a generic R.

I think Brown hangs on in Ohio, and I actually think all of the vulnerable Democratic seats will be held with the possible exception of Montana, where Tester is in a real fight. But even in that instance he's a veteran who has fought tough campaigns before, and I believe an abortion referendum was added to the state ballot which will likely help Tester if he ties himself to it and the pro-choice position enough.

Seems like the power Collins would have in that scenario as the swing vote in the Senate would dwarf anything she could do in the administration. Not sure why she’d even think about giving that up.
She's old and it would be a cushier job.

Actually, no.
Well, there was a character named Moe Greene. Who got shot in the eye when getting a massage. That's sort of a spoiler but you've had 50 fucking years to see the thing. If you haven't seen it by now, you're probably not going to. Besides, you've probably seen plenty of other scenes from that film, directly or indirectly, in various contexts, and you might not know it.

Also a spoiler: Jesus dies on the cross.

Spoiler Alert for those going to Heaven
The big house on top of the hill waving a huge Carolina Basketball flag is where Jesus and G-d live. It is not Dean Smith's place

The Haitian vote in South Florida is unlikely enough to hurt Trump but could cause problems for Rick Scott … especially with turnout models already potentially “warped” by a couple of big ballot measures that could draw out a lot of low propensity voters. A lot of ifs there but it would be sort of a Christmas in November miracle if the Dems could offset a tough loss in Montana with an unexpected win here.

Senator Joe Manchin endorses former Governor Larry Hogan in Maryland Senate Race​

Dems losing this race would be devastating for their chance at Senate control for several cycles.
I’m more concerned about Maryland than even Montana. Hogan is a very strong candidate and I’m not sure Dems put up the best possible person.

Back