• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 2K
  • Views: 54K
  • Politics 

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter
MODERATOR ERROR — was intending to merge to political ads threads and accidentally selected the polls thread somehow. APOLOGIES

—————

I’ve always had an interest in the commercial art of political campaign ads, as well as the hilarity (or cringe) of political ads gone wrong, so thought it might be fun to have a thread to share and critique ads this cycle and maybe share some old classics.

Will start with the first Harris ad, which greatly benefits from (licensed) music of Beyoncé.

Last edited:
This one from the Trump Campaign when they flirted with a unity message is actually quite good:

Except the unnecessary clown animation stuck in there, which is off tone for the ad but on brand for Trump.

This one from the Trump Campaign when they flirted with a unity message is actually quite good:

Except the unnecessary clown animation stuck in there, which is off tone for the ad but on brand for Trump.

Yeah that’s fairly positive for a Trump ad, but it’s glaring that he’s the only person who’s really shown in it. Especially glaring in contrast with Kamala’s ad. Kind of plays right into the Dem messaging that Kamala is in this for the American people, while Trump is only in it for himself.

This was a fan-made ad promoted by Trump that falls more into the cult category but should not be forgotten or overlooked. MAGA loved it.

The Mark Robinson ad I'm seeing on local news right now is sort of bizarre. It says nothing about what he believes or what he supports. Just that he was born poor and how people are working hard just to get by (while saying nothing about what he would do to make it better) and he will never forget where he came from. I suppose he is just reacting to the opposition ads showing what a nut job he is, but it hardly seems substantive. I can't seem to find the 30 second ad on YouTube to add to this post.

I personally think this one is a fail — the visual framing is too unserious and distract from the Trump videos, which are quick cut too tightly, leaving no reaction time for the viewer.

The Mark Robinson ad I'm seeing on local news right now is sort of bizarre. It says nothing about what he believes or what he supports. Just that he was born poor and how people are working hard just to get by (while saying nothing about what he would do to make it better) and he will never forget where he came from. I suppose he is just reacting to the opposition ads showing what a nut job he is, but it hardly seems substantive. I can't seem to find the 30 second ad on YouTube to add to this post.
And
I am waiting for 1 scintila of substantive proposals from Stein He has several tough on crime /I was good AG ads .And "look at Robinson rant like a carzy motherducker" ads

And
I am waiting for 1 scintila of substantive proposals from Stein He has several tough on crime /I was good AG ads .And "look at Robinson rant like a carzy motherducker" ads
I’m guessing Stein is eyeing mid-August to really start going on offense. That’s not atypical for gubernatorial races, partly because of money and partly because people really don’t start locking in until school starts back. I do hope he has a plan, though. Even if it’s a lot of “I’ll be four more years of Roy,” he needs to have something that sticks with people.

And
As long as the makeup of the NCGA stays the way it is, what if anything would Stein actually be able to do? Honest question.

As long as the makeup of the NCGA stays the way it is, what if anything would Stein actually be able to do? Honest question.
Fair question, but he needs to have three or four memorable talking points even if there’s not much he can do to actually make them happen. His REAL agenda, although he probably can’t campaign on this, is to be alert for mistakes made by the gerrymandered Pub machine and use them however he can to restore representative government to the state.

I posted this on another thread, but I think this would be great intro for Kamala's rallies

I love it The GF was talking about this song morning. Then she said the next Woman hired after Kamala should be over the NCAA

Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

For some niche ads for young voters, the Harris campaign might think of adding the firm who did youth outreaqch for Gary Johnson/Williams Weld back u 2016. Those were funny and really effetive ads and IMO a key reason that campaign got traction.
They could update the Abe Lincoln ad to say: "I tried to warn you bout Trump in 3016. Now I am back with Kamala Harris to warn you again."

The clown animation is there so they can depict Trump as if he's 20 years younger than he is.

They know they are f'd now with the age issue.

Back