2024 Presidential Election | 44 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 90K
  • Politics 
I hate it when people knock on my door for political issues/candidates and there is no way I will inflict that on others. Phone calls are a bit less intrusive but one of my college jobs was telemarketer (long before caller ID existed) and I'm not going back to calling strangers, especially now when no one answers the phone.
yeah, i get this.

i am beyond polite and get off of the call immediately if they don't want to talk.

i have yet to be yelled at or hung up on and i've probably talked to @ 100 people during these last two tuesday phone bank efforts.

yesterday one lady did sort of shout at me that she's voting straight ticket dem and to take her off of the call list.

In every facet of life, honestly. At work I am thinking "why the Hell won't you retire? you are rich and 66 years old. Move on!"
I moved on at 64. One of the reasons people stick around is access to health insurance. Once people are Medicare eligible at 65 most will retire unless they made lousy financial choices. My wife would retire tomorrow if she could get Medicare. I am an advocate for “Medicare for all” but as an interim measure I would like to see anyone 50+ able to buy in to Medicare for <$300 per month. Then you’d start to see people leaving their jobs.

I moved on at 64. One of the reasons people stick around is access to health insurance. Once people are Medicare eligible at 65 most will retire unless they made lousy financial choices. My wife would retire tomorrow if she could get Medicare. I am an advocate for “Medicare for all” but as an interim measure I would like to see anyone 50+ able to buy in to Medicare for <$300 per month. Then you’d start to see people leaving their jobs.
I stayed in my federal day job, which I pretty much hated, until 56 when I became eligible for retirement. I got paid health care but the pension for early retirement is terrible. But, not to worry, I maxed out my retirement contributions and zapped all remaining debt. Plus, my moonlighting job, though demanding at times, provides a nice income and plenty of enjoyment.

As usual, I agree with something farce writes - most would step away earlier if they had health care.

Journalist I know says the industry gossip, for lack of a better word, is that RFK will drop out by the end of the week and endorse Trump. Timed to take thunder away from the DNC.

Trump has far less campaign money and infrastructure than Harris​

The former president’s campaign infrastructure is smaller than Harris’ — and his own from 2020.

“… Now that lead is gone, and Trump has also lost the cash advantage he once held over Biden. Boosted by record fundraising, the vice president’s campaign reported nearly $220 million in cash on hand at the end of July, compared to $151 million for Trump.

A major question now is how Trump’s operation will scale up its spending in the pivotal final sprint to Election Day.

… [In July 2020], his campaign committee and the Republican National Committee also had a combined nearly 800 staffers on payroll, according to a POLITICO analysis of FEC data.

This July, the Trump campaign and the RNC had just over 300 staffers on payroll, FEC filings show. Meanwhile, the Harris campaign and the Democratic National Committee had a combined roughly 1,100 staffers last month. …”

Supposedly, Trump was super-intrigued about having Kennedy as his VP back in 2023 — apparently mainly because he lived the idea of Trump/Kennedy logos but at the time also thought Kennedy would pull a lot of young Dems.

That’s not a bad suggestion. Kind of a bridge to full Medicare. I know several people in the boat your wife is in. Best of luck to her.

Back