2024 Presidential Election | 44 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 89K
  • Politics 
I think we agree on this. Start by deporting the ones who are eating the garden. There is no need to deport the ones who are living productive lives and helping our country thrive - just make sure they at least pay their fair share while they’re here and using our resources (education, healthcare, etc)
So you trust Trump to handle the border but don't actually like his stated aims or policies to attain his goals.

Good faith or blind faith?

HY2012 is such a confusing person - he says he's mostly voting for Democrats statewide in North Carolina which I'm very thankful for - but he's pretty much all in on Trump - even if you think Harris will be too liberal she most likely will have to govern with a divided government - it's very possible that the Republicans will control the Senate and the house during her presidency assuming she wins
I think this is probably a really common view, actually.

I live in an even more conservative state than NC and in all of our local and state elections, our choice is psycho MAGA (R) and Republican-lite (D). In red and purple states, I think you are going to get candidates at state and local level who are very moderate or slightly center-right as your Democratic choice, and then someone like Robinson as your Republican choice.

It's not too different to why there's often Republican governors in the Northeast. I think Vermont either has or recently had a Republican governor. Same for Massachusetts, New Jersey, etc. The Republican on a state level there is going to be straight down the middle ideologically or they'd have no chance of getting elected. And will often appear much more normal than the D nominee in a deep blue state who may end up being uncomfortably to the left for independents.

National races are always different, even though all politics are becoming more nationalized. There's just never going to be a national Dem nominee palatable to the same voters who will still feel just fine voting for Stein and Jackson.

I would, however, appreciate people just being honest and saying they will never vote for a national democrat rather than twist themselves in a pretzel to defend Trump personally and go into the "he wanted to change Washington, etc." That's where they lose me.

This is a perfectly reasonable take. But thats not what Trump and his admin want to do. Do I need to list all the things he says he wants to do for you? Do I know Trump's platform better than a Trump voter?

Undocumented immigrants pay taxes. The put way more into our system than they get out, AND they have a lower crime rate. We should probably be welcoming in way more of them and getting rid of all the assholes we currently have.
Cue the "that is just Trump being Trump, he won't actually go that far"...

I think this is probably a really common view, actually.

I live in an even more conservative state than NC and in all of our local and state elections, our choice is psycho MAGA (R) and Republican-lite (D). In red and purple states, I think you are going to get candidates at state and local level who are very moderate or slightly center-right as your Democratic choice, and then someone like Robinson as your Republican choice.

It's not too different to why there's often Republican governors in the Northeast. I think Vermont either has or recently had a Republican governor. Same for Massachusetts, New Jersey, etc. The Republican on a state level there is going to be straight down the middle ideologically or they'd have no chance of getting elected. And will often appear much more normal than the D nominee in a deep blue state who may end up being uncomfortably to the left for independents.

National races are always different, even though all politics are becoming more nationalized. There's just never going to be a national Dem nominee palatable to the same voters who will still feel just fine voting for Stein and Jackson.

I would, however, appreciate people just being honest and saying they will never vote for a national democrat rather than twist themselves in a pretzel to defend Trump personally and go into the "he wanted to change Washington, etc." That's where they lose me.
I’ve actually said on the ZZLP many times that I can’t vote for Democrats at the national level because national politics are just different than state or local politics.

I am way more voting “against” generic national Democratic agenda than I am “for” Donald Trump or Tom Tillis or whoever else. I’m not even voting “against” Joe Biden or Kamala Harris specifically. It’s a system I’m voting against, not a candidate.

Cooper/Trump/Tillis was my ticket in 2020 and I will be casting similar tickets for the foreseeable future.

I’ve actually said on the ZZLP many times that I can’t vote for Democrats at the national level because national politics are just different than state or local politics.

I am way more voting “against” generic national Democratic agenda than I am “for” Donald Trump or Tom Tillis or whoever else. I’m not even voting “against” Joe Biden or Kamala Harris specifically. It’s a system I’m voting against, not a candidate.

Cooper/Trump/Tillis was my ticket in 2020 and I will be casting similar tickets for the foreseeable future.
There is some truth here. The individual president is not going to influence legislation that much. Even when one party controls the house, senate and White House, the party influences the laws more than the president.

That said, the individual president has a huge influence on foreign policy, executive orders and national conversation. The people voting against Trump aren’t necessarily worried about his legislating activities. It is those other things that raise concerns - especially now that the president no longer needs to worry about criminal laws.

Rubber meets the road question...

Who are you voting for (and why) in the local state rep elections? In aggregate those elections matter more to all our daily lives than the state and national ones. I think we'll be able to tell exactly where you're coming form by the answer to that question.

Rubber meets the road question...

Who are you voting for (and why) in the local state rep elections? In aggregate those elections matter more to all our daily lives than the state and national ones. I think we'll be able to tell exactly where you're coming form by the answer to that question.
Which races specifically? I live in the Triangle.

He's Oddjob Jr. Also, wtf is "kamabla"? Are they saying she's a tuned drum?
They are really bad at this...

Wash away my troubles, wash away my pain
With the rain in Shambala
Wash away my sorrow, wash away my shame
With the rain in Shambala

Ah, ooh, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Ah, ooh, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind
On the road to Shambala
Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind
On the road to Shambala

Yeah, for a campaign that is suddenly all about joy, give them one of the most joyful songs ever written to hang their hat on. Master strategists at work.

Also, wtf is "kamabla"? Are they saying she's a tuned drum?
I got nothing on that. Is it supposed to sound like "kama-blah"? Because there should be an H at the end. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense. There's no humor or irony or anything. It's just literally gibberish, I guess?

The devolution from Meatball Ron (my personal fave), Sleepy Joe, and Let's Go Brandon to kamabla..... Weak. Tired. Lazy. Impotent, even. A real D-minus effort here. You love to see it.

Back