2024 Presidential Election | 45 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 89K
  • Politics 
The biggest advantage Trump has over Harris on foreign policy is not tariff or trade related, it’s that our enemies view him as a stronger leader they shouldn’t mess with, which helps keep us out of needless wars and keeps the terrorists at bay.

Yes, I definitely support the detention of illegal immigrants in large numbers than we’ve been doing. The Trump administration deported about 1,000,000 people and the Biden administration has deported about 300,000 people. So I think there’s a path to tske this issue about 10x more seriously than Biden/Harris does (and about 3x more seriously than Trump did last time) without deporting all 11 million illegal immigrants or whatever the total number is. The effort should begin with ones who have committed serious crimes and go from there. No real need in my mind to deport a family from Mexico who came here years ago, assimilated into our culture, followed the laws except for the ones they broke when they entered the country illegally, and have created a good life for themselves as productive members of our society. Dealing with those people would be the last priority and the main issue there would be getting them to start paying their fair share in taxes going forward.
You can't possibly say that first thing with a straight face. Which "enemies" view Trump as a stronger leader? Certainly not Putin, who views him as manipulable fool and has worked to get him elected for that reason.

As for the latter: we certainly disagree about a lot in terms of immigration policy. I think most conservatives are incredibly naive about what it would mean for the American economy to drastically reduce the supply and flow of undocumented immigrants and/or to deport them in the millions; entire industries (construction, food service, domestic and commercial cleaning services, and especially agriculture) would have massive labor shortages overnight. Any plan for reducing undocumented immigration and/or deporting undocumented immigrants that doesn't involve massively increasing legal immigration is incredibly unrealistic for that reason, and rest assured that the Republican Party has no plan or proposal for actually expanding legal immigration (because they find it more useful politically to simply be an anti-immigrant party).

But even leaving aside that fundamental disagreement over policy, if what you want is to allow a path to citizenship/permanent residence for the immigrants who "came here years ago, assimilated into our culture, followed the laws except for the ones they broke when they entered the country illegally, and have created a good life for themselves as productive members of our society" then the Democratic Party is offering something much closer to what you want than Republicans. Trump and his allies have no interest at letting the "good ones" (which is the vast majority of them) stay the way you claim to want.

Back