2024 Presidential Election | 46 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 89K
  • Politics 
I doubt it will be a landslide, although a 2008 Obama-style comfortable win is now certainly on the table (as is still losing the election). The one thing that has surprised me about all this is how unprepared Trump's campaign obviously was for Biden stepping aside and Kamala getting the nod, and now for Walz being chosen. If there's anything the GOP has usually done very well over the past couple of decades it's in the fields of grassroots campaign organization, opposition research, PR efforts to frame Democratic opponents based on their weaknesses, and campaign strategy. But so far this year Trump's campaign and even the usually reliable RNC have just bumbled and stumbled and proven to be strikingly inept at almost every turn. Biden's debate disaster just fell into their laps, they didn't cause it. Whatever has caused the decline of the GOP as an effective campaign organization, I certainly hope it continues right through the election in November and (hopefully) well into next year.
Part of the reason for the ineptitude is that Trump/MAGAts have all run off the experienced professionals and replaced them with inept sycophants at all levels. Just Look at the RNC.

Well, one thing your cohorts could do is come up with another line of attack other than the usual racist birther crap.

I mean, think about it: You guys spent 3 years ragging on Biden for being old and not being mentally fit to hold office, and the second he steps down, fulfilling all of your public predictions, you guys don’t have a plan to deal with it?
See post above. I’m sure there is a plan, but it just won’t be as effective because Kamala Harris won’t freeze on live TV like Joe Biden did lol. You know, the guy you all tried to pretend was perfectly fine?

If the window hasn’t already closed by now, the opportunity for Republicans to successfully define Harris is rapidly closing. I think that if they lose the election in November, we will be able to look back at these three weeks in July and August as being the ones that sank them for being caught completely flat footed and unable to successfully land effective attacks on the new candidate.

I mean, Republicans are still going to go after Harris. It just might not stick as much as the attacks on Biden did, since anyone with two eyes and a functioning mind could see that Biden wasn’t capable of doing the job.
It’s not sticking because it’s old, stale messaging. You can’t expect to just spout the same old lines about ShE LaUGHs FuNnY!!! and ShE’s a SLUT!!! and BoRDer CZaR!!! and SoSHULiSM!!!11. That’s not an effective campaign strategy.

To me it’s simple. There are enough people in the middle of the spectrum who would’ve chosen Trump over Biden based on their glaringly obvious difference in capability to actually do the job, but now a lot of those will flip to Harris over Trump because she represents a new generation of leadership and everyone is fed up with the old asses.

I can’t think of a single person who would’ve gone Biden over Trump but will now go Trump over Harris.

In other words, Harris is just a lot better candidate than Biden. Which is why it’s preposterous that Biden was ever forced on the voters in the first place this go round. Harris doesn’t have to be good, she just has to be something other than the total disaster Biden was and she can beat Trump.

To me it’s simple. There are enough people in the middle of the spectrum who would’ve chosen Trump over Biden based on their glaringly obvious difference in capability to actually do the job, but now a lot of those will flip to Harris over Trump because she represents a new generation of leadership and everyone is fed up with the old asses.

I can’t think of a single person who would’ve gone Biden over Trump but will now go Trump over Harris.

In other words, Harris is just a lot better candidate than Biden. Which is why it’s preposterous that Biden was ever forced on the voters in the first place this go round. Harris doesn’t have to be good, she just has to be something other than the total disaster Biden was and she can beat Trump.
There is NO ONE in the “middle of the spectrum” that would choose Trump and all the corruption and criminality he brings over Biden. You are delusional about who is in the middle. People voting for Trump are extremists. Period.

It’s not sticking because it’s old, stale messaging. You can’t expect to just spout the same old lines about ShE LaUGHs FuNnY!!! and ShE’s a SLUT!!! and BoRDer CZaR!!! and SoSHULiSM!!!11. That’s not an effective campaign strategy.
I agree it’s shitty messaging. I certainly don’t co-sign every single strategy or rallying cry the Republican party uses. I generally dislike all politicians from both parties. I’m just a voter who makes a choice between the two alternatives I’m presented.

There is NO ONE in the “middle of the spectrum” that would choose Trump and all the corruption and criminality he brings over Biden. You are delusional about who is in the middle. People voting for Trump are extremists. Period.
What are you talking about? Your party just forced its candidate out because he was going to lose to Trump. So there are very obviously swing voters in the middle who were going to vote for Trump that the Democrats will be trying to win over now with Harris. You may not like it but these voters are in fact the middle.

I don't think your last sentence is correct. It accurately describes the base. It doesn't accurately describe all the people who vote for him, especially swing voters who don't follow politics closely and don't understand the issues that are at stake.

These were many of the voters who were running away from Biden. Because they don't really know how to sort out competing claims of the parties, they rely on superficial factors.

I was texting with some friends about all the weird similarities there have been between this presidential election and the one in 1968:
  • An assassination attempt on a presidential candidate;
  • The incumbent— a democrat— dropping out and his VP becoming the nominee;
  • The DNC being held in Chicago;
  • Someone from Minnesota on the Dem ticket;
  • Robert F. Kennedy is a candidate;
  • The Republican candidate is a crook.
LOL. In fairness, the Republican candidate is periodically a crook. The RFK is the most improbable connection, I would think.

The Minnesota thing is funny but augurs poorly. Our national candidates from MN have generally not been successful.

You often have to take the car keys from elderly people.

I think the bigger problem wasn’t that Biden was going to lose a lot of voters in the middle of the spectrum to Trump. I am pretty sure Trump has had poor polling numbers among independents and moderates for a while, even when he was otherwise leading all of the overall polling, and I dont think there was much danger of there being a significant number of Biden 2020-to-Trump 2024 voters. I think the bigger problem was that Biden being on the ticket, especially after the debate disaster, had done such irreparable damage to enthusiasm and excitement on the left that it was going to significantly depress Democratic and Democratically-inclined turnout. Ever since the emergence of MAGA in our national politics, literally the only national election- general or midterm- they’ve won was aided and abetted by depressed Democratic turnout in 2016. Ever since then, MAGA has been losing elections because it’s a massive electoral loser that is repulsive to everyone who isn’t already a weirdo MAGA freak. Democrats don’t lose elections to MAGA when Democratic enthusiasm and turnout is elevated. But Biden remaining on the ticket after the debate was almost certain to cause a 2016 turnout redux.

In less than three weeks we’ve gone from the prospect of depressed Democratic turnout- and thus a probable Republican blowout- to a wave of energy, enthusiasm, excitement, fundraising, volunteerism, and new voter registration reminiscent of Obama’s first campaign- and thus a more probable-than-not Democratic victory.

See post above. I’m sure there is a plan, but it just won’t be as effective because Kamala Harris won’t freeze on live TV like Joe Biden did lol. You know, the guy you all tried to pretend was perfectly fine?
Compared to Trump, he is perfectly fine.

So in this fantasy WWE scenario, is Joe going to emerge from behind the curtain in the middle of Harris’s speech, rip off his outer shirt to display a “Biden/RFK Jr 2024” shirt underneath, snatch the microphone from the podium and scream “It ain’t over…I’m not dropping out!!”

Back