2024 Presidential Election | 46 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 89K
  • Politics 
I gotta say ... knowing the amount of money these rubes wasted on F Biden collateral only to see them trash it all gives me some small joy. Hoarding this stuff for years, expecting a big payoff in November.

It's poetic.

I gotta say ... knowing the amount of money these rubes wasted on F Biden collateral only to see them trash it all gives me some small joy. Hoarding this stuff for years, expecting a big payoff in November, only to have your hopes dashed.

It's poetic.
It’s a new opportunity to scam the rubes. Easy pickings (F Harris/Walz signs and shirts).

It’s funny that the Democratic ticket has politicians from California and Minnesota. Those are the only two states to have had governors who also starred in the movie Predator.
That sounds like a Q fact that would show up in a message outlining that it’s intentional to show their focus on being child predators. 😂

We still have a long way to go. Not taking anything for granted. But is anyone else surprised at how the Pubs have been caught absolutely flat-footed by the developments of the last couple of weeks? They’re acting like a football team that turned a few first half turnovers into a 21 point halftime lead, but gave it all up in the third quarter and seem to have nothing left in the tank at the start of the fourth quarter. I can’t remember the last time there was such an enormous momentum differential between the parties this late in an election cycle.

We still have a long way to go. Not taking anything for granted. But is anyone else surprised at how the Pubs have been caught absolutely flat-footed by the developments of the last couple of weeks? They’re acting like a football team that turned a few first half turnovers into a 21 point halftime lead, but gave it all up in the third quarter and seem to have nothing left in the tank at the start of the fourth quarter. I can’t remember the last time there was such an enormous momentum differential between the parties this late in an election cycle.
This is like the UNC vs FSU basketball game when the Heels came back from 20+ points down.

I mean, I don't think anyone has seen this kind of roller-coaster shake-up this late in an election cycle, maybe except 1968. LBJ announced his decision not to run for POTUS at the end of March, after the New Hampshire primary but before most of the Democratic primaries happened. But MLK was assassinated 5 days later and then RFK was assassinated in June of 1968 as it looked like he might swoop in and take the nomination from McCarthy. Which led to the wild 1968 convention, when LBJ maneuvered to get his VP (from Minnesota) nominated.

Honest question - what do you suggest they do?

I’ve been saying all year, as has Nikki Haley, that whichever party got Biden or Trump off the ticket would crush it in this election if the other one remained on the ticket. Trump gaining a big lead over Biden after Biden was exposed as a vegetable led to the Democrats replacing Biden on the ticket and now this is playing out about as I anticipated it would. Harris has given the Dems life despite all her flaws, because at least she can string two sentences together

I’m just not sure what you expected/expect the Republicans to do differently - change their candidate at the last minute to match the Dems? Not gonna happen, because there is enthusiasm for Trump that never existed for Biden.

I’ve been saying all year, as has Nikki Haley, that whichever party got Biden or Trump off the ticket would crush it in this election if the other one remained on the ticket. Trump gaining a big lead over Biden after Biden was exposed as a vegetable led to the Democrats replacing Biden on the ticket and now this is playing out about as I anticipated it would. Harris has given the Dems life despite all her flaws, because at least she can string two sentences together

I’m just not sure what you expected/expect the Republicans to do differently -.
You could vote for RFK Jr.

I’m just not sure what you expected/expect the Republicans to do differently - change their candidate at the last minute to match the Dems? Not gonna happen, because there is enthusiasm for Trump that never existed for Biden.
You could simply not vote for President.

I hear you. The Pubs’ mistake was going all in again on the losingest loser we’ve seen in recent American politics. But it’s still amazing to me they’ve been so utterly unable to respond to what’s happening right now. I don’t want to get my hopes too high, but this thing could turn into an avalanche. I thought it was EXTREMELY unlikely the Dems could keep the Senate. That’s legitimately on the table now.

So you’re saying the GOP is the Atlanta Falcons?

I hear you. The Pubs’ mistake was going all in again on the losingest loser we’ve seen in recent American politics. But it’s still amazing to they’ve been so utterly unable to respond to what’s happening right now. I don’t want to get my hopes too high, but this thing could turn into an avalanche. I thought it was EXTREMELY unlikely the Dems could keep the Senate. That’s legitimately on the table now.
I agree going all in with Trump again was a mistake, but he was going to beat Biden so it’s hard for me to blame the party too much.

Biden just turned out to be so senile that he couldn’t even go on. If Biden had been replaced earlier in the process, I do wonder if Haley or someone else may have been a more viable alternative to Trump in our primary. Maybe not though.

Even though I support Trump over Harris, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world in my mind for the Pubs to take it on the chin with Trump and hopefully pivot to a more traditional form of conservatism post-Trump. But I’m not sure how it’ll all work out. The demographics of the parties are changing and I’m not sure the genie can be put back in the bottle. Which might just leave me in a spot where I cast a lot of split-ticket ballots after voting straight ticket Republican for a majority of my voting life (straight ticket 2008 through 2018 - started splitting in 2020 when I voted for Roy Cooper)

I hear you. The Pubs’ mistake was going all in again on the losingest loser we’ve seen in recent American politics. But it’s still amazing to me they’ve been so utterly unable to respond to what’s happening right now. I don’t want to get my hopes too high, but this thing could turn into an avalanche. I thought it was EXTREMELY unlikely the Dems could keep the Senate. That’s legitimately on the table now.
I doubt it will be a landslide, although a 2008 Obama-style comfortable win is now certainly on the table (as is still losing the election). The one thing that has surprised me about all this is how unprepared Trump's campaign obviously was for Biden stepping aside and Kamala getting the nod, and now for Walz being chosen. If there's anything the GOP has usually done very well over the past couple of decades it's in the fields of grassroots campaign organization, opposition research, PR efforts to frame Democratic opponents based on their weaknesses, and campaign strategy. But so far this year Trump's campaign and even the usually reliable RNC have just bumbled and stumbled and proven to be strikingly inept at almost every turn. Biden's debate disaster just fell into their laps, they didn't cause it. Whatever has caused the decline of the GOP as an effective campaign organization, I certainly hope it continues right through the election in November and (hopefully) well into next year.

Rs and Ds both spent the last year or so talking about how old Biden was, and Rs centered a lot of messaging around the idea that Biden was just a dementia-addled puppet.

Given all of that, you’d think Rs would’ve had a contingency plan—some kind of cohesive strategy in the event that Biden stepped down. And Harris was always the most likely candidate to fill Biden’s shoes, so it’s not like they had to figure out how to campaign against Whitmer or some unknown.

As is, it just seems like they really don’t know what to do now that Dems called their bluff. And Trump backing out of the debate and trying to scurry off to his safe space at FOX makes him look weak and scared.

Well, one thing your cohorts could do is come up with another line of attack other than the usual racist birther crap.

I mean, think about it: You guys spent 3 years ragging on Biden for being old and not being mentally fit to hold office, and the second he steps down, fulfilling all of your public predictions, you guys don’t have a plan to deal with it?

Rs and Ds both spent the last year or so talking about how old Biden was, and Rs centered a lot of messaging around the idea that Biden was just a dementia-addled puppet.

Given all of that, you’d think Rs would’ve had a contingency plan—some kind of cohesive strategy in the event that Biden stepped down. And Harris was always the most likely candidate to fill Biden’s shoes, so it’s not like they had to figure out how to campaign against Whitmer or some unknown.

As is, it just seems like they really don’t know what to do now that Dems called their bluff. And Trump backing out of the debate and trying to scurry off to his safe space at FOX makes him look weak and scared.
I mean, Republicans are still going to go after Harris. It just might not stick as much as the attacks on Biden did, since anyone with two eyes and a functioning mind could see that Biden wasn’t capable of doing the job.

I mean, I don't think anyone has seen this kind of roller-coaster shake-up this late in an election cycle, maybe except 1968. LBJ announced his decision not to run for POTUS at the end of March, after the New Hampshire primary but before most of the Democratic primaries happened. But MLK was assassinated 5 days later and then RFK was assassinated in June of 1968 as it looked like he might swoop in and take the nomination from McCarthy. Which led to the wild 1968 convention, when LBJ maneuvered to get his VP (from Minnesota) nominated.
Remember, 1968 didn’t have many binding primaries.

The plan after California was for a barnstorming trip through New York to increase turn-out and try to influence the NY delegates (non-binding primary).

One of the Kennedys top advance men was already on a red-eye from LA to NYC when Bobby was assassinated. The same advance man was enroute from Dallas to somewhere when JFK was shot.

I was texting with some friends about all the weird similarities there have been between this presidential election and the one in 1968:
  • An assassination attempt on a presidential candidate;
  • The incumbent— a democrat— dropping out and his VP becoming the nominee;
  • The DNC being held in Chicago;
  • Someone from Minnesota on the Dem ticket;
  • Robert F. Kennedy is a candidate;
  • The Republican candidate is a crook.

Back