2024 Presidential Election | 47 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 88K
  • Politics 
Right now they seem more like a combo of some Republicans panicking about the pick and some anti-Trump folks sensing they have a moment on social media and pushing the narrative for all it’s worth.

Removal would mean Trump having to admit he was wrong about picking Vance, and would mean angering some moneybag funding sources. Both seem unlikely for Trump.
Removing Vance does nothing for the #1 problem in Trump’s mind. The spotlight isn’t on him. He can’t use his super power of sucking all the air out of the room. In a weird role reversal he can’t break through in the media cycle.

A couple of days ago I predicted he’d say something heinous to try to break through, and last night he suggested there’d be no more voting in four years if he gets elected, proving my prediction exactly right.

I wish the media/social media understood the correct response to that is to COMPLETELY IGNORE THAT SHIT. Yeah, we all know that’s his end game, that’s not news to anyone. What ever else we do, we need to avoid letting him get the spotlight back on him.

Anyway changing VP pick would just put the spotlight on his NEW pick for at least a week or more, and that’s the last thing Trump wants. I think he’ll hope the JD Vance feeding frenzy runs it’s course giving him back some oxygen to work with.

But whatever else has happened this interlude is giving Kamala time to try to define herself before Trump does that for her. I think she’s doing a decent job, but she’s had to invest time in shoring up the base, which was the obvious first priority. We need another week or two with Trump having no oxygen for her to do undecided outreach and define herself to them.

JFC, with the "border czar" crap again. Like "defund the police," Pubs are trying to make it be the gift that keeps on giving. And they may succeed unless someone pushes back hard.

The "border czar" assertion has some truth to it, but it's mostly incorrect. It's based on a misunderstanding and a bad job of communications at the White House to the media, and the media's subsequent reporting regarding that role.

In March 2021, Biden tapped Harris to lead the administration's coordination with Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, which were key sources of migration to the border.

The announcement led to near-immediate confusion in the media and in the White House over how involved Harris would be, with Republicans and some news outlets, including Axios, giving Harris the unofficial monicker of "border czar."

Shortly after, the border surge had grown into a full-blown humanitarian and political crisis.

The "border czar" narrative stuck, especially in conservative circles, and calls mounted in spring 2021 for Harris to visit the border.

This is ultimately a WH Dept of Communications and subsequent PR fail. The Harris campaign should really set the record straight.

https://www.axios.com/2024/07/24/kamala-harris-border-czar-immigratin

Removing Vance does nothing for the #1 problem in Trump’s mind. The spotlight isn’t on him. He can’t use his super power of sucking all the air out of the room. In a weird role reversal he can’t break through in the media cycle.

A couple of days ago I predicted he’d say something heinous to try to break through, and last night he suggested there’d be no more voting in four years if he gets elected, proving my prediction exactly right.

I wish the media/social media understood the correct response to that is to COMPLETELY IGNORE THAT SHIT. Yeah, we all know that’s his end game, that’s not news to anyone. What ever else we do, we need to avoid letting him get the spotlight back on him.

Anyway changing VP pick would just put the spotlight on his NEW pick for at least a week or more, and that’s the last thing Trump wants. I think he’ll hope the JD Vance feeding frenzy runs it’s course giving him back some oxygen to work with.

But whatever else has happened this interlude is giving Kamala time to try to define herself before Trump does that for her. I think she’s doing a decent job, but she’s had to invest time in shoring up the base, which was the obvious first priority. We need another week or two with Trump having no oxygen for her to do undecided outreach and define herself to them.
2 weeks of the Olympics
Then the DNC

I saw something about Rasmussen. I looked at their Twitter.... Good Lord they really have just stopped with the fake neutrality. They have posts about Harris down 20 in independents. They have other saying 9% of votes in 2020 were illegals. Other posts say Biden didn't win Georgia

Just embarrassing

I saw something about Rasmussen. I looked at their Twitter.... Good Lord they really have just stopped with the fake neutrality. They have posts about Harris down 20 in independents. They have other saying 9% of votes in 2020 were illegals. Other posts say Biden didn't win Georgia

Just embarrassing
Do tweets like these give away the partisanship?

JFC, with the "border czar" crap again. Like "defund the police," Pubs are trying to make it be the gift that keeps on giving. And they may succeed unless someone pushes back hard.

The "border czar" assertion has some truth to it, but it's mostly incorrect. It's based on a misunderstanding and a bad job of communications at the White House to the media, and the media's subsequent reporting regarding that role.

In March 2021, Biden tapped Harris to lead the administration's coordination with Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, which were key sources of migration to the border.

The announcement led to near-immediate confusion in the media and in the White House over how involved Harris would be, with Republicans and some news outlets, including Axios, giving Harris the unofficial monicker of "border czar."

Shortly after, the border surge had grown into a full-blown humanitarian and political crisis.

The "border czar" narrative stuck, especially in conservative circles, and calls mounted in spring 2021 for Harris to visit the border.

This is ultimately a WH Dept of Communications and subsequent PR fail. The Harris campaign should really set the record straight.

If you’re explaining you’re losing

Harris Erases Trump’s Lead, WSJ Poll Finds​

Two candidates are effectively tied after Biden’s exit shakes up race​

“…
The former president leads the current vice president 49% to 47% in a two-person matchup, but that is within the margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points. Trump held a six-point leadearlier this month over President Biden before he exited the race and backed Harris.

On a ballot test that included Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and other independent and third-party candidates, Harris receives 45% and Trump gets 44%. Kennedy is backed by just 4% and 5% remain undecided. Biden trailed in the multicandidate contest by six points in the last poll.

Harris has made strides in reassembling the coalition that put Biden in the White House in 2020, one that had been fraying under the stress of unease about his physical and mental sharpness. Black, Latino and young voters all showed greater support for her than they did for Biden in a Journal survey taken in the days after his disastrous debate performance on June 27. …”

Behind Vance’s Populist Rhetoric, Trump GOP Is All in on Tax Cuts​

Trump and state legislatures continue to champion lower taxes and offer little outreach to labor​

“…
Since 2021, 18 states with Republican governors and legislatures have lowered the top income-tax rate; just one Democratic run state has, according to the Tax Foundation. Five states, all Republican, have adopted a flat income tax, more than in the entire preceding century. Eleven Republican-run states have cut their corporate rate; just one Democratic state (Colorado) has.

“More states have cut tax rates in the last three years than in any similar period since income taxes were first imposed” over a century ago, said Jared Walczak of the Tax Foundation. “That brand of populism that is more skeptical of market economics, and therefore more open to higher taxes, has not shown up in state capitals yet.”

On breaking up big business, Vance also seems to be in the minority. He has praised Federal Trade Commission Chair Lina Khan, who has aggressively gone after mergers and big tech. And indeed, Khan has occasionally found allies across the aisle: Four Republican state-attorneys general joined the FTC’s 2022 suit alleging pesticide manufacturers Syngenta and Corteva sought to suppress competition from generics. …”

Sigh, the opinion of the Chair of Harris County Republican Party does not need to be given good faith analysis, not here, not in social media, not in national media. You’d think that we would have learned to avoid this trap by now. Just ignore it. Never repost it. Even if it outrages you. ESPECIALLY IF IT OUTRAGES YOU. Always remember it was lovingly crafted to specifically outrage you so you would repost it. JUST IGNORE IT.

Sigh, the opinion of the Chair of Harris County Republican Party does not need to be given good faith analysis, not here, not in social media, not in national media. You’d think that we would have learned to avoid this trap by now. Just ignore it. Never repost it. Even if it outrages you. ESPECIALLY IF IT OUTRAGES YOU. Always remember it was lovingly crafted to specifically outrage you so you would repost it. JUST IGNORE IT.
Some misinformation should be ignored or denied oxygen to prevent proliferation - completely agree there. But some should be combatted head-on and defeated. I believe this issue falls under the latter, particularly with the legitimate but often inflated issue of immigration and/or the situation at the border. Dems should have aggressively gone at "defund the police" the second Pubs took it and ran with it too, but they didn't, and Pubs were able to make it into a non-thing thing.

I don't think you (or farce) are wrong with the stance you're taking, I just don't agree that ignoring this particular point is the best way to go. Agree to disagree.

It looks like once again I am seeing current reference by Trump of destroying democracy and the ability to vote during another term. You can’t get anymore dictatoresque than that. People need to wake up and vote. I’m angry we’re even at this point. This is absolutely and existential election for this country.

Minnesota poll has Harris +10 over Trump

A different, Fox News poll yesterday had Harris +6 in Minnesota.

Back