A Podcast Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter altoheel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 61
  • Views: 737
  • Off-Topic 

altoheel

I didn't see a thread for podcasts yet, so what are y'all listening to nowadays?

One that is pretty new but I am interested in is Weird Little Guys. I don't know if any of y'all are familiar with Molly Conger but she is just a phenomenal researcher from Charlottesville who has been really on top of all the fallout and court cases from Unite the Right, and exposing members of violent far-right organizations more generally. It sounds like every week she's going to pick one of these weird little guys and just explain what their deal is.

Weird Little Guys on Apple Podcasts

I listened to the "Weird Little Guys" episode they put in the BTB playlist. I enjoyed it, may subscribe.

I'm very into the Pirate History Podcast.

There is a political podcast that I highly recommend called “You Might Be Right” co-hosted by former Tennessee Democratic governor Phil Bredesen and former Tennessee Republican governor Bill Haslam. It’s really fun for policy geeks like me because they discuss and debate all sorts of political policy and ideological perspectives, they bring in guest speakers from both sides of the political aisle, etc. It’s just a really neat concept, and the general theme of it is that often times when it comes to policy, both sides – Republican and Democrat, conservative and liberal, have good offerings.

History pods: Dan Carlin, the Rest is History, tides of history, various others
The entire Freakonomics line up.
Star Talk with Neil Degrass Tyson
Inside Carolina, Carolina Insider
Acquired - for companies I’m interested in this is top 5 for me. The Microsoft series was practically the story of my life.
Jeff Wright miniseries on the Trojan War
A large hodgepodge of others that I listen to on occasion

I didn't see a thread for podcasts yet, so what are y'all listening to nowadays?

One that is pretty new but I am interested in is Weird Little Guys. I don't know if any of y'all are familiar with Molly Conger but she is just a phenomenal researcher from Charlottesville who has been really on top of all the fallout and court cases from Unite the Right, and exposing members of violent far-right organizations more generally. It sounds like every week she's going to pick one of these weird little guys and just explain what their deal is.
Weird Little Guys on Apple Podcasts

If you like podcasts about conservatives by non-conservatives, my favorite is Know Your Enemy, which tends towards exploring the post-WWII intellectual milieu that created the contemporary right. As an aside, it's from that podcast that I learned that the co-founder of the John Birch Society went to UNC. And that Samuel Francis, an architect of the paleocon movement, got his PhD from UNC. In particular, the KYE podcasters have a great "crossover" episode with The Dig called The State of the American Right.

If you like podcasts about looney-toon conservatives, you might try QAA (formerly QAnon Anonymous).

History pods: Dan Carlin, the Rest is History, tides of history, various others
The entire Freakonomics line up.
Star Talk with Neil Degrass Tyson
Inside Carolina, Carolina Insider
Acquired - for companies I’m interested in this is top 5 for me. The Microsoft series was practically the story of my life.
Jeff Wright miniseries on the Trojan War
A large hodgepodge of others that I listen to on occasion
Carlin's "Hardcore History" is great. In particular, the series of episodes about WWII in the Pacific, "Supernova in the East," was fantastic. I thought I already knew a lot about the subject, but he approaches it mainly from the angle of trying to explain and understand Japanese motivations and culture and why it led them down such a disastrous path (including a long look at Japanese history in the 100 or so years before WWII).

I've lately been listening to old episodes of the "Revolutions" podcast by Mike Duncan. Currently on the season about the revolutions of 1848 in Europe. The long season on the French Revolution was good, and so was the somewhat shorter season about South American revolutions against the Spanish that focused on Simon Bolivar.

Mine are pretty NPR heavy...

Christian:
> Bible for Normal People *
> You Have Permission

News and Current Events:
> The Daily *
> The Gist
> On the Media *
> Plain English w/ Derek Thompson *

Science:
> Hidden Brain
> Science Vs. *

Other:
> Freakanomics *
> Open to Debate
> Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me *

Money:
> Planet Money *
> The Indicator

* Indicates never a bad episode.

I listen to several podcasts.
Today I started listening to The Gray Area with Sean Illing. He's a little dry for a host, but the content is good so far.
Listen to several NPR podcasts. Like "Consider This".
TED talks, TED radio hour, TED talks daily.
I have multiple quick news podcast, like "The Journal" and CNN daily.
Listen to Pod Save America. Freakonomics.
The Weekly Show with Jon Stewart.
Today explained.
The Economics of Everyday things.
Conspirituality
Darknet Diaries

Sometimes I'll find one with an interesting subject and listen to it that day.

I’m sports heavy with my podcasts.
  • Bill Simmons Podcast is my staple. Been reading and listening to his stuff forever. Probably my favorite sports personality.
  • Ryen Russillo podcast. Bill Simmons adjacent.
  • Eye on College Basketball and Cover 3 are great for keeping up with CBB and CFB, respectively, at the national level. Both do a good job of being informative while also keeping it pretty light/don’t get too into the weeds.
I’ll echo Dan Carlin as well. I’ve listened to Supernova in the East (WW2 in east Asia) and blueprint for Armageddon (WW1 on the western front) from his Hardcore History series and they are both phenomenal. I thought I knew a good bit about both events, but after listening to those I realized I had not even scratched the surface lol.

Carlin's "Hardcore History" is great. In particular, the series of episodes about WWII in the Pacific, "Supernova in the East," was fantastic. I thought I already knew a lot about the subject, but he approaches it mainly from the angle of trying to explain and understand Japanese motivations and culture and why it led them down such a disastrous path (including a long look at Japanese history in the 100 or so years before WWII).

I've lately been listening to old episodes of the "Revolutions" podcast by Mike Duncan. Currently on the season about the revolutions of 1848 in Europe. The long season on the French Revolution was good, and so was the somewhat shorter season about South American revolutions against the Spanish that focused on Simon Bolivar.
I liked Duncan’s podcasts and have one of his books. The French Revolution series lost me though. Too many people, too many orgs, I just couldn’t keep it straight with the weekly format. The Olympics got me all fired up, maybe I’ll go back now that I can listen to them one after the other.

I love Revolutions! Have learned so much. I recently finished the French Revolution season. 66 episodes - but season 10 about the Russian Revolution has like 115 episodes lol

• Real Dictators by Noiser
  • All the Lawfare pods
  • All the IC pods
  • Conspirituality
  • Games from Folktales
  • Older but still worth a listen is Bundyville
A little all over the road. The mini series on D-Day by Noiser is very good two.

Anyone else listen at 2x speed? It took me like 10 minutes and then my brain slowed everything right down. I’d never go back to 1x now.

Anyone else listen at 2x speed? It took me like 10 minutes and then my brain slowed everything right down. I’d never go back to 1x now.

All my students are doing that right now with all sorts of media.

I'll never understand it. I'm just not in that much of a hurry.

This thread is very helpful. There are several good podcasts on movies. One I like is You Must Remember This.

Cocaine and Rhinestones is a fun one about country music.

If anyone hasn't heard of it, S-Town is amazing, just one "season" of it. If you press "Play" on episode 1, go ahead and plan on just junking the next 7 hours of your life.

Amazing storytelling

I’ll echo Carlin. I binged his Destroyer of Worlds episode on my day off before going to see Oppenheimer last summer. Fascinating stuff.

Last Podcast on the Left is a whole mood, but they have some good long-form episodes, too. Notably the ones on the bubonic plague.

I recently listened to Rachel Maddow’s Ultra. Both seasons are good. Her one on Spiro Agnew a few years ago was great, too.

Ones I listen to weekly are Pod Save America, Bulwark, Ezra Klein, and No Laying Up (golf sicko here).

Want to understand, or at least try to understand the current ridiculous MAGA drive in making CRT and LGBTQ issues local bogeymen, Southlake and Grapevine are informative.

Back