Serial
Someone Knows Something
The Next Call
Up and Vanished

Sports/ Music
Song Exploder
Wong Notes
Sleephawk Worldwide (Tyler Hansbrough)

Some real good recommendations on this thread...will take a look at some of those.

My current mix includes:
Up First
How I Built This
This American Life
HBR Ideacast
Plain English
Planet Money
Serial (usually Binge on really long drives)
Bill Simmons
Rewatchables
The Town (entertainment industry from business)
Woj Pod
The Lowe Post
Slapping Glass (basketball coaching)
The Basketball Podcast (basketball coaching)

I used to listen to the Ben Shapiro show for a similar reason. I think he's intelligent and generally pretty reasonable while relaying conservative views. He even acknowledges that the election wasn't stolen. I don't know if it's because we're close to the election, but he's been unbearable recently. Ted Cruz (Verdict) isn't quite as bad and they can both speak intelligently about topics regarding the law.
Both Cruz and Shapiro are examples of guys who can speak intelligently about legal (and other) topics, they just very often choose to speak unintelligently about them (because that's what their audiences want/react to and the grift is always the most important thing).

Both Cruz and Shapiro are examples of guys who can speak intelligently about legal (and other) topics, they just very often choose to speak unintelligently about them (because that's what their audiences want/react to and the grift is always the most important thing).
Yep. Fear, anger and hyperbole sells, ESPECIALLY with the current far right/MAGA folks.

If anyone hasn't heard of it, S-Town is amazing, just one "season" of it. If you press "Play" on episode 1, go ahead and plan on just junking the next 7 hours of your life.

Amazing storytelling
Our family listened to S-Town on our road trip across Alaska. Amazing story well worth the listen

Car Talk...never gets old.

BTW, I've decided that Ray Magliozzi is a genius on the order of Robin Williams or Bob Dylan
Love Car Talk. I loved their self deprecating humor. I loved that they laughed with people, not at people. I loved their problem solving skills. We lost a true American humorist when Tom passed away.

Remember Arup Gupta? Sonja Henning's tutu? The call from the astronaut on the space shuttle?

God, we need more like them.

Last edited:
Somehow I came across a podcast with an interview of Rachel Maddow. She's actually pretty interesting and smart.

Rachel Maddow’s “Ultra” is fantastic. Sean Carrol’s “Mindscape” is also worth the listen.
Just finished Bagman (finally got around to it) and am starting Ultra. Doing all this because of the Lawfare podcast where Ben interviewed Rachael about Ultra. If you don't want to invest in Ultra right away, you can listen to that interview which gives you some insight to what Ultra is about, but the interview is only an hour.

Love Car Talk. I loved their self deprecating humor. I loved that they laughed with people, not at people. I loved their problem solving skills. We lost a true American humorist when Tom passed away.

Remember Arup Gupta? Sonja Henning's tutu? The call from the astronaut on the space shuttle?

God, we need more like them.
I'm glad there are fellow Car Talk enthusiasts here.

Some of my favorite time with my father was running errands on the weekend and listening to Car Talk. They were funny, kind, and just subversive enough to be interesting without getting booted.

Listening to the reruns, they're still funny and entertaining, even if advice about the carbs on a 1980s Ford isn't particularly relevant any more.

The car stuff was informative and interesting but the real value was the banter of two brothers who loved each other and were willing to laugh hard at themselves.

If you agree, don't post anything, just write your name on a hundred dollar bill and mail it to ...

My favorites of late are podcasts by two comedians my sister git me hooked on. James Pietregallo and Jimmy Whissman. James is Italian born New Yorker.

Small Town Murder - It is actually a freelance comedy show. But James does a ton of research and actually tells the very detailed true story. But it is full of comedy about these really small towns in the middle of nowhere. They Crack on the goofballs and nonsense that go on there. The bumbling police force and detectives (a game warden being the only guy to be called into a murder scene.) The cover the court cases and small town lawyers. Some of the cases are hilarious, some pretty depressing but they make it funny.

Crime in Sports - same guys doing bios on pro athletes with a history if trouble. Their show on Barkely was hilarious. Lots of boxers with crazy lives. Lots of comedy.

Your stupid opinions - their latest show. They read actual reviews on products, restaurants, famous tourist destinations. One segment each show on a "personal item" sex toys, where people write the craziest reviews, sometimes leaving real names.

Sure it's guilty pleasure kind of stuff. But after working all day and following crazy politics. I find it relaxing, fun and healthy.

Give it a shot. Try Small Town Murder first but jump to about episode 70 or so where they have much better equipment and a studio. 500 episodes already.

I've been listening to Know Your Enemy since it was recommended and it's super interesting, thanks for the rec breepf!
I'm glad there are fellow Car Talk enthusiasts here.

Some of my favorite time with my father was running errands on the weekend and listening to Car Talk. They were funny, kind, and just subversive enough to be interesting without getting booted.

Listening to the reruns, they're still funny and entertaining, even if advice about the carbs on a 1980s Ford isn't particularly relevant any more.

The car stuff was informative and interesting but the real value was the banter of two brothers who loved each other and were willing to laugh hard at themselves.

If you agree, don't post anything, just write your name on a hundred dollar bill and mail it to ...
I think about their transportation coordinator Pikup Andropov like 3 times a week

Lots of good calls in here. Recently came across this one and would recommend to check out:

“The multi-award winning Arcane Carolinas podcast was created in 2020 to explore folklore, legends, and modern weird tales from the mountaintops to sand dunes across the Carolinas' backroads and byroads. From cryptids to cursed earth to people whose passions will surprise you, North and South Carolina are chock full of surprises.

We might not have all the answers (or any), but we really enjoy exploring the historical context and lore around legends, ghost stories, and modern tales from off the beaten path.”

Lots of good calls in here. Recently came across this one and would recommend to check out:

“The multi-award winning Arcane Carolinas podcast was created in 2020 to explore folklore, legends, and modern weird tales from the mountaintops to sand dunes across the Carolinas' backroads and byroads. From cryptids to cursed earth to people whose passions will surprise you, North and South Carolina are chock full of surprises.

We might not have all the answers (or any), but we really enjoy exploring the historical context and lore around legends, ghost stories, and modern tales from off the beaten path.”

Cool. Must listen. This is a good history one…

Ben Franklin's World​

A podcast for people who love history and want to know more about the early American past.
Ben Franklin's World - A Podcast About Early American History

WTF - Marc Maron - Great interview show
This American Life
Planet Money
Heavyweight

True Crime
Serial
Someone Knows Something
The Next Call
Up and Vanished

Sports/ Music
Song Exploder
Wong Notes
Sleephawk Worldwide (Tyler Hansbrough)
Is Serial still putting out new seasons?

The first one was good, but I really didn't get into the second.

Back