A Podcast Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter altoheel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 61
  • Views: 737
  • Off-Topic 
Want to understand, or at least try to understand the current ridiculous MAGA drive in making CRT and LGBTQ issues local bogeymen, Southlake and Grapevine are informative.
Grapevine is essentially the mid point between Southlake and another wealthy, racist, WASP, white-flight burb called Coppell. Patriot Front started at Coppell HS. That stretch of north DFW burbs has done unbelievably outsized damage to the decency of American social climate.

Also, a second rec for The Rest is History, Ultra, and Real Dictators.

I'll add Slow Burn to the list. It managed to make Watergate and the Clinton Lewinsky scandal seem interesting.

I consume a lot of content on my favorite teams

IC
One Bills Drive
Cubs Talk
Arsenal Opinion
Arsenal Vision
Arseblog Arsecast

Non sports stuff I like

Why is This Happening? - Chris Hayes' podcast - brings on experts about stuff in the news that usually isn't THE story but something we could all know a lot more about
Revolutions
Impolitic - John Heilemann's new pod

"60 Songs that Explain the 90s" wrapped up this spring but is AWESOME for all you Gen X/older millennials out there. Every episode there is a guest who will give you backstory on a big song and its artist.

History-wise, I really enjoyed "How to Build a Nation in 15 Weeks." I think it ran from like 2018-2021. It's a project by some lawyers at a firm in NYC who go through all of James Madison's notes from the constitutional convention. They break down in crazy detail all the debates from the convention - you learn how certain things got in, what things got left out and why, etc. I thoroughly recommend it to everyone. Although it can be dry, you will learn a ton.

I’m pretty addicted to ‘The New Books Network.’ It helps me keep up with the books I have no time to read by providing 45 minute interviews with the authors. I even have a class that is partially based on students reviewing the interviews.

While I mostly dig into the History category there are also ones on Science & Technology, the Arts, Architecture, and so.

I listened to the "Weird Little Guys" episode they put in the BTB playlist. I enjoyed it, may subscribe.

I'm very into the Pirate History Podcast.
I love BTB! I tried to follow a lot of people from the Cracked diaspora on to their next things and that's been the one that I really stuck with.

If you like podcasts about conservatives by non-conservatives, my favorite is Know Your Enemy, which tends towards exploring the post-WWII intellectual milieu that created the contemporary right. As an aside, it's from that podcast that I learned that the co-founder of the John Birch Society went to UNC. And that Samuel Francis, an architect of the paleocon movement, got his PhD from UNC. In particular, the KYE podcasters have a great "crossover" episode with The Dig called The State of the American Right.

If you like podcasts about looney-toon conservatives, you might try QAA (formerly QAnon Anonymous).
I haven't heard of Know Your Enemy before but it definitely sounds up my alley, I will have to give it a try. QAA is fantasic, their Jim Caveizel episode is one of the best things I've ever heard.

All my students are doing that right now with all sorts of media.

I'll never understand it. I'm just not in that much of a hurry.
I don't have any long commutes (work from home) so my pod listening time is basically a 15 minute dog walk in the morning and a half hour dog walk in the evening.

Also, it's not like it's a trade off at all. I mean you get used to it almost instantly (or at least I did) and it seems perfectly normal after that. I just get twice the content. I like that.

I’m pretty addicted to ‘The New Books Network.’ It helps me keep up with the books I have no time to read by providing 45 minute interviews with the authors. I even have a class that is partially based on students reviewing the interviews.

While I mostly dig into the History category there are also ones on Science & Technology, the Arts, Architecture, and so.

I also admit to listening to "Locked On Orioles" and "Locked on Tar Heels" often enough.

This thread is very helpful. There are several good podcasts on movies. One I like is You Must Remember This.

Cocaine and Rhinestones is a fun one about country music.
If you like movie and movie-adjacent podcasts you might like Soundtracker, they talk about movies through the perspective of their soundtracks. It's really fun.

If anyone is interested in extremely silly news I would recommend What A Time To Be Alive, it's a podcast each week that counts down the things that make you say the thing that's the title of the podcast.

Daily news:
  • Up First
  • Daily Wire
  • The Daily
  • CNN This morning
  • WSJ What's News
Others:
  • On Purpose w/ Jay Shetty
  • Verdict With Ted Cruz
  • Making Sense
  • Ezra Klein Show
  • The Lawfare Podcast

Want to understand, or at least try to understand the current ridiculous MAGA drive in making CRT and LGBTQ issues local bogeymen, Southlake and Grapevine are informative.
Certain topics I have to be careful with. They get me so pissed off that I want to ram my car into someone. I have enough driving anxiety without any triggers. :rolleyes:

I consume a lot of content on my favorite teams

IC
One Bills Drive
Cubs Talk
Arsenal Opinion
Arsenal Vision
Arseblog Arsecast

Non sports stuff I like

Why is This Happening? - Chris Hayes' podcast - brings on experts about stuff in the news that usually isn't THE story but something we could all know a lot more about
Revolutions
Impolitic - John Heilemann's new pod

"60 Songs that Explain the 90s" wrapped up this spring but is AWESOME for all you Gen X/older millennials out there. Every episode there is a guest who will give you backstory on a big song and its artist.

History-wise, I really enjoyed "How to Build a Nation in 15 Weeks." I think it ran from like 2018-2021. It's a project by some lawyers at a firm in NYC who go through all of James Madison's notes from the constitutional convention. They break down in crazy detail all the debates from the convention - you learn how certain things got in, what things got left out and why, etc. I thoroughly recommend it to everyone. Although it can be dry, you will learn a ton.
A Cubs/Bills/Arsenal fan? Are you just a masochist?

Daily news:
  • Up First
  • Daily Wire
  • The Daily
  • CNN This morning
  • WSJ What's News
Others:
  • On Purpose w/ Jay Shetty
  • Verdict With Ted Cruz
  • Making Sense
  • Ezra Klein Show
  • The Lawfare Podcast
I used to listen to the Daily Wire regularly, as it was the best source I could find for intelligent commentary on conservative politics. I just can’t do it anymore. I listen to 3 minutes and have to switch to something else. I don’t know if he’s just chasing the money or something, but Shapiro is basically another Alex Jones at this point.

I used to listen to the Daily Wire regularly, as it was the best source I could find for intelligent commentary on conservative politics. I just can’t do it anymore. I listen to 3 minutes and have to switch to something else. I don’t know if he’s just chasing the money or something, but Shapiro is basically another Alex Jones at this point.
Yeah the only Ben Shaprio content that needs to exist is the video of him going, if the sea levels rise don't you think the people who live there will just sell their houses and move? and Hbomberguy chops through a fake wall with an axe and goes "SELL THEIR HOUSES TO WHO, BEN, FUCKING AQUAMAN???" only Hbomerbuy is British so he says it "ACK-waman." It's great.

All my students are doing that right now with all sorts of media.

I'll never understand it. I'm just not in that much of a hurry.
Yeah I’ve tried it before and I feel like it warps the tone and inflection of the speaker too much, to the point that it’s easy to misinterpret the message they’re trying to get across.

Some of my favorites:

Know Your Enemy
American Prestige
The Dig
The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder
Left Reckoning

To escape politics and hard days, my wife and I listen to “The Moth” Radio hour podcast each night during dinner. Just really entertaining stories from random people about life experiences. Only the best stories make it after story slam competitions. 90 percent are very engaging/entertaining. I highly recommend.

I don't have any long commutes (work from home) so my pod listening time is basically a 15 minute dog walk in the morning and a half hour dog walk in the evening.

Also, it's not like it's a trade off at all. I mean you get used to it almost instantly (or at least I did) and it seems perfectly normal after that. I just get twice the content. I like that.
I tend to listen at 2x also for similar reasons. I sometimes slow it down to 1.75 or 1.5 if the speakers are fast talking.

But I do feel like I retain a lot less content listening at that speed. Maybe that's just me though.

Not sure if any comic book fans here but a few good podcasts about comics are Off Panel, i fanboy, and Titan Up The Defense.

Titan Up The Defense is funny as heck. The hosts cover a Teen Titans comic or Defenders comic each show.

I tend to listen at 2x also for similar reasons. I sometimes slow it down to 1.75 or 1.5 if the speakers are fast talking.

But I do feel like I retain a lot less content listening at that speed. Maybe that's just me though.
I can't go any faster than 1.2x or so, otherwise I'm not absorbing any words, just vibes

I used to listen to the Ben Shapiro show for a similar reason. I think he's intelligent and generally pretty reasonable while relaying conservative views. He even acknowledges that the election wasn't stolen. I don't know if it's because we're close to the election, but he's been unbearable recently. Ted Cruz (Verdict) isn't quite as bad and they can both speak intelligently about topics regarding the law.

Back