• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 72
  • Views: 990

donbosco

Distinguished Member
Committee on University Personnel to meet August 9, 2024

August 7, 2024

The University of North Carolina Board of Governors Committee on University Personnel will hold a special virtual meeting at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, August 9, 2024. At 10 a.m., the full UNC Board of Governors will meet in special session.

The purpose of these meetings is to discuss and elect a chancellor for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The meeting schedule is available on our website.

The meetings will be held virtually. The virtual meetings will originate at 223 S. West Street in Raleigh. Portions of the meetings will be streamed online so that simultaneous live audio and video of the meetings are available to the public. The livestream of the meetings can be found here. If any technical difficulty with the video stream is encountered, the video will be disabled for members and the public, and the meetings will be conducted and streamed in audio format only. Please note that some items may be considered in closed session under the provisions of the Open Meetings Law.

This comes four days after submitting finalists to President Hans and a week after interviews.

Names are confidential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guessing Lee Roberts gets the permanent gig. I generally like him, and generally think that if you trust someone enough to put them in a position on an interim basis, and if they do a good job during the interim and want the job permanently, that they should get a shot.

We have looked far and wide-a National search..we have found that the the most experienced Univ Chancellor is right here. Lee Roberts
Que a procession from the FratFlag Boys

Guessing Lee Roberts gets the permanent gig. I generally like him, and generally think that if you trust someone enough to put them in a position on an interim basis, and if they do a good job during the interim and want the job permanently, that they should get a shot.
Has Roberts done a good job?

Has Roberts done a good job?
Honestly, I don't know enough to have my own opinion about the job that he's done (I don't live in NC and don't get much non-sports UNC news these days) but I figure that the BOG probably feels that he's done a good job, especially with the protests on campus back in the spring.

I didn't want to like him because of his backers, but I think he's done a good job so far. It's not nearly as good a job as it was 10, 20 years ago.

I know a lot about him-I don't know him . I overlapped in his building when he was Budget Director My supv met with him weekly for about a half hour-hour He is a real decent , smart, Not picky , well mannered guy (Total opposite of Art Pope )
My "issue "is he has Zero experience in Academia or Academic administration . He is "Arts's choice' . We gonna run UNC like a Bidness. A business it is on one side and all our Chancellors must manage that side-but that is primarily the job of the $350,000 Business and Finance VC
Its "Weird"

Last edited:
A private equity guy with no academic experience handpicked by Art Pope — what could go wrong?
You know the scary part is Art pope Really wants a School of Western Civilization -which was seemingly "Celebrating the White Man School"
Now I will add it could be today the Main role of a Chancellor is Development -they expect the new Chancellor to raise a billion dollars a year .
Well he has never been involved in raising $$ for a Univ either .............

Last edited:
You know the scary part is Art pope Really wants a School of Western Civilization -which was seemingly "Celebrating the White Man School"
Now I will add it could be today the Main role of a Chancellor is Development -they expect the new Chancellor to raise a billion dollars a year .
Well he has never been involved in raisning $$ for a Univ either .............
I met Art Pope's father a couple.of times. I have no doubt that he was conservative. But he definitely didn't give off the BSC vibe that Art does. More of a down to Earth, what works works, and whether it works is more important than whether is fits within some ideological format. Art Pope's father pulled into a gas station where I worked during college. He had a flat tire. The only replacement I had on a Sunday, was a white wall. He said he was a black wall guy because he didn't want to pay for white walls. I said something to the effect of, I've got what I got, but I can put it on with the white wall on the inside and no one will know. He just bust out laughing and told me to do it. Had not problem paying for a white wall tire on Sunday, he just didn't want it to show. After that he would wait until the weekend to fill-up because he liked me.

Welcome aboard Chancellor Roberts Just remember if MJ comes to visit campus-he gets your South Bldg parking spot

pasting from HT:

https://triangleblogblog.com/2024/08/08 ... st-decade/

Analysis: UNC Board of Governors donated over $3.5 million to politicians in NC over the past decade

Roberts is a former member of the Board of Governors who was appointed to that role in 2021 by Phil Berger, the Senate President Pro-Tem. In 2022, Roberts donated $5000 to the North Carolina Senate Majority Fund and $1000 to the North Carolina Republican Party. A year later, he was named UNC’s Interim Chancellor. Previous UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellors have not made political donations in any substantial amount until they retired. (We checked!)

Among the reported income sources on Roberts’ mandatory 2021 state ethics forms is “other type of income” from Variety Wholesalers, Inc., which is owned by Art Pope, one of the most well-known Republican donors in the state who also serves on the Board of Governors. This was first reported by UNC undergraduates, after which Roberts told an online audience he served on the board of Variety Wholesalers. (Unlike other appointments, it is not listed on Roberts’ LinkedIn profile.)

pasting from HT:

https://triangleblogblog.com/2024/08/08 ... st-decade/

Analysis: UNC Board of Governors donated over $3.5 million to politicians in NC over the past decade

Roberts is a former member of the Board of Governors who was appointed to that role in 2021 by Phil Berger, the Senate President Pro-Tem. In 2022, Roberts donated $5000 to the North Carolina Senate Majority Fund and $1000 to the North Carolina Republican Party. A year later, he was named UNC’s Interim Chancellor. Previous UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellors have not made political donations in any substantial amount until they retired. (We checked!)

Among the reported income sources on Roberts’ mandatory 2021 state ethics forms is “other type of income” from Variety Wholesalers, Inc., which is owned by Art Pope, one of the most well-known Republican donors in the state who also serves on the Board of Governors. This was first reported by UNC undergraduates, after which Roberts told an online audience he served on the board of Variety Wholesalers. (Unlike other appointments, it is not listed on Roberts’ LinkedIn profile.)
Art is smart to "sponsor " this guys career Its scary

Back