BOG will name new Chancellor Friday -- It's Lee Roberts

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 72
  • Views: 990
He got rid of people that weren't even students and that were vandalizing the campus and celebrating the massacre of Jews. All without any major controversy aside from a few people getting mad that he didn't let the pro-Hamas crowd burn the American flag.
Very well said. Chancellor Roberts’ brightest moment of his interim period was how he handled the pro-Hamas protesters. He showed some backbone.

I shudder to think of how a weenie like Holden Thorp would’ve responded to that situation.

He got rid of people that weren't even students and that were vandalizing the campus and celebrating the massacre of Jews. All without any major controversy aside from a few people getting mad that he didn't let the pro-Hamas crowd burn the American flag.
“celebrating the massacre of Jews”?? You do know many of the protestors were Jewish, right? But I think it’s obvious you can’t distinguish the state of Israel and Jewish people. And no one was celebrating any massacres. They were protesting against the massacres of Palestinian civilians. That’s like someone calling you pro-genocide because you stand with Israel.

“celebrating the massacre of Jews”?? You do know many of the protestors were Jewish, right? But I think it’s obvious you can’t distinguish the state of Israel and Jewish people. And no one was celebrating any massacres. They were protesting against the massacres of Palestinian civilians. That’s like someone calling you pro-genocide because you stand with Israel.
You are aware of the imagery and phrasing that SJP was using, right? They weren't exactly trying to hide how they felt. Also, as stated earlier, most of the people arrested weren't even students. Of the 30 who ended up in custody, only 6 went to UNC if I recall correctly. The last thing you want as a chancellor is a group of people not even affiliated with your school illegally camping out on school property, vandalizing property and making students feel unsafe.

You are aware of the imagery and phrasing that SJP was using, right? They weren't exactly trying to hide how they felt. Also, as stated earlier, most of the people arrested weren't even students. Of the 30 who ended up in custody, only 6 went to UNC if I recall correctly. The last thing you want as a chancellor is a group of people not even affiliated with your school illegally camping out on school property, vandalizing property and making students feel unsafe.
They would have left peacefully, but he decided to make a show out of it. He could have taken a few minutes to talk to them instead of marching out like Darth Vader and the empirical troops.

They would have left peacefully, but he decided to make a show out of it. He could have taken a few minutes to talk to them instead of marching out like Darth Vader and the empirical troops.
They refused to leave peacefully…that’s the whole reason they had to get the police there to kick them out. You had a bunch of people with no UNC affiliation camping out illegally on campus and making students feel unsafe. Can you imagine if a bunch of MAGA morons who didn’t even go to UNC set up a base camp on the quad and started glorifying the KKK?

They refused to leave peacefully…that’s the whole reason they had to get the police there to kick them out. You had a bunch of people with no UNC affiliation camping out illegally on campus and making students feel unsafe. Can you imagine if a bunch of MAGA morons who didn’t even go to UNC set up a base camp on the quad and started glorifying the KKK?
Who felt unsafe? The protestors were very peaceful. The reason they didn’t leave was because the administration refused to talk to them. There were many other protests on other campuses that ended peacefully because they were treated with respect instead of attacked.
Also, show me some evidence that there was anyone that was glorifying Hamas or celebrating Oct 7 during the protest. Or anything related to Hamas. No one mentioned them. They were all there to protest an ongoing genocide.

As a reminder our Univ president ran the Community College System in SCAR then NC ------ that was his credentials . He never had any kind of Univ job

Who felt unsafe? The protestors were very peaceful. The reason they didn’t leave was because the administration refused to talk to them. There were many other protests on other campuses that ended peacefully because they were treated with respect instead of attacked.
Also, show me some evidence that there was anyone that was glorifying Hamas or celebrating Oct 7 during the protest. Or anything related to Hamas. No one mentioned them. They were all there to protest an ongoing genocide.

There were numerous Jewish students who felt unsafe. SJP started glorifying that 10/7 attacks just after they occurred and began publishing protest flyers glorifying the Hamas paraglider terrorists who slaughtered hundreds of young people at a music concert on 10/7. They also published literature that attempted to justify the 10/7 attacks. None of this was kept a secret. I can't blame a young Jewish student for feeling unsafe when a bunch of people who have no affiliation with the university come in and start celebrating the slaughter of hundreds of people my age at a music concert simply because they happened to be Jewish.

Also, you don't have the right to simply break the law and play the victim when you face the consequences of your actions. The protesters had no legal right to camp out there. None. There was no negotiation to be had. They were illegally there, they were making students feel unsafe, they were destroying university property, and most of them had nothing to do with UNC. They had to go, they refused, so they were made to leave. Once again, would you be fine with a bunch of 50 year-old MAGAts from Alamance County camping out on the quad illegally and glorifying the slaughter of Black people?

There were numerous Jewish students who felt unsafe. SJP started glorifying that 10/7 attacks just after they occurred and began publishing protest flyers glorifying the Hamas paraglider terrorists who slaughtered hundreds of young people at a music concert on 10/7. They also published literature that attempted to justify the 10/7 attacks. None of this was kept a secret. I can't blame a young Jewish student for feeling unsafe when a bunch of people who have no affiliation with the university come in and start celebrating the slaughter of hundreds of people my age at a music concert simply because they happened to be Jewish.

Also, you don't have the right to simply break the law and play the victim when you face the consequences of your actions. The protesters had no legal right to camp out there. None. There was no negotiation to be had. They were illegally there, they were making students feel unsafe, they were destroying university property, and most of them had nothing to do with UNC. They had to go, they refused, so they were made to leave. Once again, would you be fine with a bunch of 50 year-old MAGAts from Alamance County camping out on the quad illegally and glorifying the slaughter of Black people?
What made them feel unsafe? The protestors were minding their business and not confronting anyone. No one threatened them out spoke to them. What exactly did the protestors say to them to make them feel threatened? There were anti-Israel signs, but 0 anti-Jewish signs.

Should I, as a Palestinian-American, be threatened by you because you’re justifying Israel’s attack on Palestinians as Israel “defending itself”?

What made them feel unsafe? The protestors were minding their business and not confronting anyone. No one threatened them out spoke to them. What exactly did the protestors say to them to make them feel threatened? There were anti-Israel signs, but 0 anti-Jewish signs.

Should I, as a Palestinian-American, be threatened by you because you’re justifying Israel’s attack on Palestinians as Israel “defending itself”?

Did you not read what I posted? Do you not understand how a bunch of random people coming together to celebrate the massacre of a few hundred Jewish 18-22 year olds at a music festival might make some Jewish 18-22 year olds at a university feel unsafe? Also, vandalizing university property and illegally having random people squatting and refusing to leave is not "minding their own business". If a bunch of random non-UNC affiliated people showed up passing out flyers with pictures of JDAMs on them and refused to leave I’d have the exact same reaction. Random people can’t just decide to move onto the campus and make students feel unsafe.

I won't get into it on Roberts actions. But its pretty weird that a"police action" made everyone in the Legislature think he was the "right man" to run UNC

Did you not read what I posted? Do you not understand how a bunch of random people coming together to celebrate the massacre of a few hundred Jewish 18-22 year olds at a music festival might make some Jewish 18-22 year olds at a university feel unsafe? Also, vandalizing university property and illegally having random people squatting and refusing to leave is not "minding their own business".
Did you not read what I wrote? NO ONE WAS CELEBRATING THE ATTACK in that protest. Show me proof that people were celebrating an attack in the protest instead of protesting a genocide. Did you see any “Go Hamas!” signs?
The answer is no, so you can stop repeating that lie.

Did you not read what I posted? Do you not understand how a bunch of random people coming together to celebrate the massacre of a few hundred Jewish 18-22 year olds at a music festival might make some Jewish 18-22 year olds at a university feel unsafe? Also, vandalizing university property and illegally having random people squatting and refusing to leave is not "minding their own business". If a bunch of random non-UNC affiliated people showed up passing out flyers with pictures of JDAMs on them and refused to leave I’d have the exact same reaction. Random people can’t just decide to move onto the campus and make students feel unsafe.

Did you not read what I wrote? NO ONE WAS CELEBRATING THE ATTACK in that protest. Show me proof that people were celebrating an attack in the protest instead of protesting a genocide. Did you see any “Go Hamas!” signs?
The answer is no, so you can stop repeating that lie.

They were indeed celebrating the attack, hence the Hamas paraglider fliers. Also, you are complete ignoring the fact that random people can’t just decide to move into the university illegally and refuse to leave.

They were indeed celebrating the attack, hence the Hamas paraglider fliers. Also, you are complete ignoring the fact that random people can’t just decide to move into the university illegally and refuse to leave.
Those fliers were from months earlier and had nothing to do with his protest. Groups like Jewish Voice for Peace and other similar groups were also involved in organizing the protest. Again, not one student was confronted by the protestors.

There were other options to try to get them to leave the a show of force.

Those fliers were from months earlier and had nothing to do with his protest. Groups like Jewish Voice for Peace and other similar groups were also involved in organizing the protest. Again, not one student was confronted by the protestors.

There were other options to try to get them to leave the a show of force.

SJP was the group that made the fliers and SJP was the main group coordinating the campus occupation. Additionally, SJP’s platform included language justifying the 10/7 attacks.

Once again, random people don’t have the right to move into a university, vandalize property, and refuse to leave, particularly when students are saying that these people make them feel unsafe.

Also, you are complete ignoring the fact that random people can’t just decide to move into the university illegally and refuse to leave.
If they are students peacefully protesting who the heck Cares The "outside agitators ' I get it

Anyone saying SJP isn’t pro-Hamas is dead wrong. This was covered in the thread on the old board at the time of the protests. SJP is literally pro-Hamas.

Anyone saying SJP isn’t pro-Hamas is dead wrong. This was covered in the thread on the old board at the time of the protests. SJP is literally pro-Hamas.
UNC has 15-16 self identified Peer Institutions. Not one of them would let Lee roberts in their top100 for a chancellor search
But we did

UNC has 15-16 self identified Peer Institutions. Not one of them would let Lee roberts in their top100 for a chancellor search
But we did
Yeah. Even though I'm probably a lot less critical than many/most other UNC supporters, and generally sincerely think that Roberts should be given every fair chance opportunity to succeed, I do agree with your point above that not a single one of the institutions whom we consider peers- much less the ones that are aspirant for us- would even consider, much less hire, a candidate like Roberts. Hopefully it all works out and he makes both UNC- and the folks who appointed him- look like geniuses. I'm certainly pulling hard for him and for UNC. Time will tell.

Back