Bryce Young

• Thread starter Thread starter theel4life
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 148
  • Views: 3K
  • Sports 
You know, I'd like to think I can admit when I'm wrong.

And Dan Snyder was definitely a worse owner than either Mark or late-era Al Davis.

In fact, relative to his generation, Snyder is probably the worst owner in NFL history.
Up until a few years ago I would've said the collective York family but they took the advice of literally everyone after the disaster years following Jim and before Kyle and stepped back and allowed actual football people to make football decisions

Question for the board — obviously this topic is generating plenty of discussion to justify a stand-alone, but a while back we had sort of agreed to have the sports threads limited to one catch-all per sport (plus one UNC-specific one for sports where UNC competes).

I’m of two minds about the approach, but sort of leaning toward maintaining the contained approach on sports threads for now, at least until the new site design launches very soon and we see how the new features work in terms of letting folks choose their own adventure here by excluding topics they don’t want to see.

But let me know your thoughts. If the new features work well, it probably will be a moot point (mostly) anyway.
I think a single NFL thread would be far too messy and disjointed.

1. I’d just let threads like this roll for now. It’s easy to hide the thread if you’re not interested.

2. I was determined to give Bryce a fair shot this year. I still think you have to play him the whole year, but I’m now about 99% certain he’s toast. Great NFL QBs need a certain amount of swagger in addition to adequate physical skills. Bryce plays scared. That won’t cut it in the CFL, much less the NFL.

Jamarcus was pretty awful. And Young may be worse.

Young is unquestionably the worse if you factor in the total value given for that #1 pick. Everything we gave up to get....this? I am sure he's a nice guy, but he's really damn bad.
Yea the trade compounds everything.

Just think about the players we could have had without that trade. We could have had the worst record in the league without the trade.

Question for the board — obviously this topic is generating plenty of discussion to justify a stand-alone, but a while back we had sort of agreed to have the sports threads limited to one catch-all per sport (plus one UNC-specific one for sports where UNC competes).

I’m of two minds about the approach, but sort of leaning toward maintaining the contained approach on sports threads for now, at least until the new site design launches very soon and we see how the new features work in terms of letting folks choose their own adventure here by excluding topics they don’t want to see.

But let me know your thoughts. If the new features work well, it probably will be a moot point (mostly) anyway.
Whatever you and Rock (and the board) decide is fine. I don't think this place will ever become a sports dominant board. Just some UNC sports talk and general sports talk.

I just don't want to go back to IC. It is full of Tar Pitters, WalMart basketball fans, and some grads. Many of the intelligent people are gone.

EDIT: And maybe just give theel4life a few whacks with your teacher ruler for not using the NFL thread. Then again, he may be into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Just me but I don't want 8 NFL threads on this Politics Board
While I am here I predict the Panthers pick coach Prime's kid-and he flames out. Meantime someone else after the Panthers pick Travis Hunter and he is NFL MVP 5 times..............

When I watch him, I just don’t get it. He’s extremely small for a QB. Not just short, but small. I question whether he can see anything while in the pocket. On top of that, he appears very slow by NFL standards. Not just that he’s not quick. He looks slow. One would think that if you’re going take a chance on a QB of that size, that QB would at least have pretty elite quickness.

What makes it even worse is that the Panthers gave up so much to get that draft pick. That wasn’t the draft to do that. There was no obvious franchise QB. Granted, had the Panthers ended up picking Stroud, and if Stroud performed with the Panthers like he has with Houston, we’d probably think it was a good move.

All that said, at least with regard to selecting Young over Stroud, the Panthers apparently weren’t the only ones fooled. Most of the “experts” had Young as the top prospect.

He’s slow and his throws are slow. Watching Stroud and Richardson yesterday while watching Bryce (I get RedZone…) was jarring. He’s clearly an inferior player in many ways.

When I watch him, I just don’t get it. He’s extremely small for a QB. Not just short, but small. I question whether he can see anything while in the pocket. On top of that, he appears very slow by NFL standards. Not just that he’s not quick. He looks slow. One would think that if you’re going take a chance on a QB of that size, that QB would at least have pretty elite quickness.

What makes it even worse is that the Panthers gave up so much to get that draft pick. That wasn’t the draft to do that. There was no obvious franchise QB. Granted, had the Panthers ended up picking Stroud, and if Stroud performed with the Panthers like he has with Houston, we’d probably think it was a good move.

All that said, at least with regard to selecting Young over Stroud, the Panthers apparently weren’t the only ones fooled. Most of the “experts” had Young as the top prospect.
I suspect Stroud would have bombed with the Panthers. It's just a shitty situation. Baker Mayfield won playoff game with the Browns. He came to Charlotte and stunk it up. He has been good in Tampa....hell he threw 4 TD passes yesterday. The situation matters, especially for a rookie. They need to stop worrying about "finding their franchise QB" and spend high draft picks on the best offensive line talent, pass rushers, and defensive backs available. They can sign also-ran free agent QBs (Andy Dalton types) until they are ready to drop a first round QB into an improved situation.

The last thing they need if Bryce continues to suck and they wind up with the top pick next draft is to bring in another rookie QB to ruin. How old is Taylor Moten? They need better OTs on rookie deals because they paid all their OL money to guards. They traded Brian Burns, they need pass rushers who can get to the QB and force the other team's OC to game plan around them. They need DBs who can cover a WR long enough to allow those pass rushers to get to the QB. You don't start a rebuild with a QB, you finish a rebuild with a QB.

Help me out, folks. Who are the best prospects coming up in next year's draft? Anybody worth tanking for?

What's really unfortunate for the Panthers is that without Michigan's cheating scandal, Stroud likely beats them at least once, wins the Heisman, and is easily the number 1 pick.

What's really unfortunate for the Panthers is that without Michigan's cheating scandal, Stroud likely beats them at least once, wins the Heisman, and is easily the number 1 pick.
But Nicole thought Bryce was cuter. Nothing trumps that.

Help me out, folks. Who are the best prospects coming up in next year's draft? Anybody worth tanking for?

I suspect Stroud would have bombed with the Panthers. It's just a shitty situation. Baker Mayfield won playoff game with the Browns. He came to Charlotte and stunk it up. He has been good in Tampa....hell he threw 4 TD passes yesterday. The situation matters, especially for a rookie. They need to stop worrying about "finding their franchise QB" and spend high draft picks on the best offensive line talent, pass rushers, and defensive backs available. They can sign also-ran free agent QBs (Andy Dalton types) until they are ready to drop a first round QB into an improved situation.

The last thing they need if Bryce continues to suck and they wind up with the top pick next draft is to bring in another rookie QB to ruin. How old is Taylor Moten? They need better OTs on rookie deals because they paid all their OL money to guards. They traded Brian Burns, they need pass rushers who can get to the QB and force the other team's OC to game plan around them. They need DBs who can cover a WR long enough to allow those pass rushers to get to the QB. You don't start a rebuild with a QB, you finish a rebuild with a QB.
I don’t think it’s fair to Stroud to say that he would definitely be a bust in Carolina. Going to a team with good coaching and talent on the rest of the roster is for sure important for young QBs, but the best of them find a way to perform regardless of how bad the rest of the team is. It’s not like Houston was stacked when he got there either.

I don’t think it’s fair to Stroud to say that he would definitely be a bust in Carolina. Going to a team with good coaching and talent on the rest of the roster is for sure important for young QBs, but the best of them find a way to perform regardless of how bad the rest of the team is. It’s not like Houston was stacked when he got there either.
I was watching the game with some friends yesterday. Of course we brought up Young/Stroud comparisons. One thing we sadly had to admit was that the Panthers were actually a better team than Houston in 2022. We had to make trades to get that no. 1 pick. Houston, on the other hand, “earned” their no. 2 draft pick by having the second worst record in the league that year.

Back