Bryce Young

• Thread starter Thread starter theel4life
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 148
  • Views: 3K
  • Sports 
For everyone: Who would you content is the most successful #1 overall pick over the last 25 years (post P. Manning) with the team that drafted him?

Question for the board — obviously this topic is generating plenty of discussion to justify a stand-alone, but a while back we had sort of agreed to have the sports threads limited to one catch-all per sport (plus one UNC-specific one for sports where UNC competes).

I’m of two minds about the approach, but sort of leaning toward maintaining the contained approach on sports threads for now, at least until the new site design launches very soon and we see how the new features work in terms of letting folks choose their own adventure here by excluding topics they don’t want to see.

But let me know your thoughts. If the new features work well, it probably will be a moot point (mostly) anyway.
The ignore thread solves the problem of thread policing. If someone thinks there are too many different threads on a related topic, you just ignore thread. It is super easy and a much better system than worrying about thread pollution on the board.

For everyone: Who would you content is the most successful #1 overall pick over the last 25 years (post P. Manning) with the team that drafted him?
That's tougher than I would have expected.

Myles Garrett is the only 5x Pro Bowler.

Andrew Luck might be the best overall player, but he retired so early plus had injuries. He was a 4x Pro Bowler and was one of the better players in the NFL when he was healthy.

Cam Newton was 4x Pro Bowler, MVP, and led his team to the Super Bowl.

And then there's whatever you want to do with Michael Vick.

That's tougher than I would have expected.

Myles Garrett is the only 5x Pro Bowler.

Andrew Luck might be the best overall player, but he retired so early plus had injuries. He was a 4x Pro Bowler and was one of the better players in the NFL when he was healthy.

Cam Newton was 4x Pro Bowler, MVP, and led his team to the Super Bowl.

And then there's whatever you want to do with Michael Vick.
Matt Stafford is not it, but deserves a mention.

Footnote
He blacmailed the NFL into NOT having the team with the number 1 pick take him-cause Manning's Shat don't stink
When John Elway did the same with the Colts, I felt similarly. By the time Eli did it I didn't blame him. The Spanos family ran a horrible organization, had miserable community relations, and were easily the cheapest bastards who owned an NFL franchise. I would also have done anything possible to avoid that dumpster fire of an organization, and just like Elway before him he had the leverage to make it work. He could afford to sit out a year and wait for the next year's draft. Elway had baseball as his leverage.

Matt Stafford is not it, but deserves a mention.
Stafford is very good, but he won his SB on a different team than who drafted him. If he'd have won that SB with the Lions, I'd have likely put him on my list.

(And if the Giants had drafted Eli, he'd have been my pick.)

The ignore thread solves the problem of thread policing. If someone thinks there are too many different threads on a related topic, you just ignore thread. It is super easy and a much better system than worrying about thread pollution on the board.

Agree. I think where it works, it's fine to post in a contained thread. But some topics are too big for one general thread. The ignore button works well.

My IC subscription renews next week, but I would guess I've spent 70% of my time over here since the site launched (thanks again, Rock!). That could change when basketball starts, but for now, the football team is meh, which makes for the same complaining threads (gameday experience sucks, Mack sucks, the band sucks, why can't we tailgate like (insert school)).

I will say that it's ridiculous that in the span of three seasons, on-campus event parking has gone for $10 to $25. Craziness.

I will say that it's ridiculous that in the span of three seasons, on-campus event parking has gone for $10 to $25. Craziness.

We need to find 40M for athletics. This sort of fun has just begun. We need to boost revenue by 800k per each of the, let’s say 50 events each year.

When I watch him, I just don’t get it. He’s extremely small for a QB. Not just short, but small. I question whether he can see anything while in the pocket. On top of that, he appears very slow by NFL standards. Not just that he’s not quick. He looks slow. One would think that if you’re going take a chance on a QB of that size, that QB would at least have pretty elite quickness.

What makes it even worse is that the Panthers gave up so much to get that draft pick. That wasn’t the draft to do that. There was no obvious franchise QB. Granted, had the Panthers ended up picking Stroud, and if Stroud performed with the Panthers like he has with Houston, we’d probably think it was a good move.

All that said, at least with regard to selecting Young over Stroud, the Panthers apparently weren’t the only ones fooled. Most of the “experts” had Young as the top prospect.
It makes no sense as we heard the same questions leading up to the draft. Is he big enough, is he strong enough...

I wonder how long it may be before Tepper threatens to move the team to another city where people may not know just how much he sucks as an owner and he thinks he can get a fresh start. I would think that the NFL would want to keep a team in Charlotte no matter what. At any rate, it's hard to see much hope for the future of the franchise as long as Tepper remains the owner.

I wonder how long it may be before Tepper threatens to move the team to another city where people may not know just how much he sucks as an owner and he thinks he can get a fresh start. I would think that the NFL would want to keep a team in Charlotte no matter what. At any rate, it's hard to see much hope for the future of the franchise as long as Tepper remains the owner.
I'm starting to hope he does

You know, I'd like to think I can admit when I'm wrong.

And Dan Snyder was definitely a worse owner than either Mark or late-era Al Davis.

In fact, relative to his generation, Snyder is probably the worst owner in NFL history.
I was watching ESPN 2-3 years ago and they were talking about owners. One guy said sometimes it’s the owner who needs to be fired. But he said unfortunately you can’t do that.

At least 20 years

Back