Bryce Young

• Thread starter Thread starter theel4life
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 148
  • Views: 3K
  • Sports 
Making the trade(s) to get the no. 1 pick to select Bryce Young has to to be the worst move (or series of moves) in NFL history. Bryce cannot play in the NFL. We gave up A LOT to select a QB who is not built to play in the NFL.
The Herschel Walker trade and the Browns giving so much guaranteed money to Watson might outrank it, but it’s way up there.

Re: Bryce:
—He’s too short to see over the defense when he’s in the pocket.
—He’s too slow to successfully scramble.
—When he is able to scramble out of the pocket, he cannot see over the defensive player who comes over to pressure him.
—He’s too small for a quarterback sneak.
—He’s too slight to tackle a defensive player if there’s a turnover and the defensive player is heading toward the endzone.

Great use of a #1 pick. All of that should have been fairly obvious.

—When he is able to scramble out of the pocket, he cannot see over the defensive player who comes over to pressure him.
—He’s too slight to tackle a defensive player if there’s a turnover and the defensive player is heading toward the endzone.

Obvious. He is the worst draft pick in NFL history.

So here's my question: maybe he wouldn't have been picked #1 if someone else had the top pick, but he would have been drafted top 10, right? I think it would have been a massive, massive sports story if the Panthers used #1 overall pick on someone who didn't get a top 10 grade from scouts, pundits, etc.

So if all of this was fairly obvious, why was he even considered a top prospect? I don't follow college FB much anymore, nor pro football, so maybe the answer is "he was good in college?" I don't know.

I also think it's funny to add the "too slight to tackle a defensive player" issue to the list. Ideally, this is a quality in the QB that rarely comes up. That you've included it on your list suggests a bigger problem, LOL.

How much difference can it make, really, to be 5'10" instead of 6'2" when it comes to seeing over the defense? It would seem to me that with all the hands and the bodies around, four inches just wouldn't make much difference in terms of what you can see. That said, I've 6'4"-6'5" so I have no experience at that height.

Obvious. He is the worst draft pick in NFL history.
Not only should he not have been the no. 1 pick. He should not have been drafted at all.

And I say that as someone who was really rooting for him. It would be awesome to see him succeed. But it’s pretty apparent he’s not cut out for the NFL game.

Not only should he not have been the no. 1 pick. He should not have been drafted at all.

And I say that as someone who was really rooting for him. It would be awesome to see him succeed. But it’s pretty apparent he’s not cut out for the NFL game.
Well, OK, but Mel Kiper Jr. had Young and Stroud as the #1 and #2 QBs on his board, #2-3 overall. Here's what CBS sports had to say about him:

So it's easy to jump on Carolina for trading up and picking him (don't trade up except for a sure thing! The list of teams who traded up for a QB and then regretted it is very long), but how did everyone miss on him so badly if his limitations are so obvious? I'm not finding any draft analysts who had Young outside the top 10. Are they all idiots? I mean, I know that NFL draft analysis is a lot of groupthink but still . . . Kiper called Manziel "undraftable." You'd think someone would be like, "hey, maybe this guy shouldn't have a first round grade"?

In fact, I would think draft analysts would be especially incentivized to do that. Say Bryce Young shouldn't be picked in the first round. If he bombs, you look prescient. If he succeeds, you say, "well, I had a second round grade on him. He had a lot of potential but also weaknesses. He's done a great job and hats off to him." I think you'd get a lot more credit for predicting he will be a bust than criticism of putting the guy in the second round.

So here's my question: maybe he wouldn't have been picked #1 if someone else had the top pick, but he would have been drafted top 10, right? I think it would have been a massive, massive sports story if the Panthers used #1 overall pick on someone who didn't get a top 10 grade from scouts, pundits, etc.

So if all of this was fairly obvious, why was he even considered a top prospect? I don't follow college FB much anymore, nor pro football, so maybe the answer is "he was good in college?" I don't know.

I also think it's funny to add the "too slight to tackle a defensive player" issue to the list. Ideally, this is a quality in the QB that rarely comes up. That you've included it on your list suggests a bigger problem, LOL.

How much difference can it make, really, to be 5'10" instead of 6'2" when it comes to seeing over the defense? It would seem to me that with all the hands and the bodies around, four inches just wouldn't make much difference in terms of what you can see. That said, I've 6'4"-6'5" so I have no experience at that height.
As for the first couple paragraphs, I have no idea how anyone thought he was a legit NFL prospect. I’m stumped there.

As for the third paragraph, you are 100% correct. But I thought about that earlier in this game after a turnover. What happens if he is in a position to stop a defensive player with the ball after a turnover? I don’t see how he can. While that scenario doesn't come up much, it does from time to time, and that can make a difference in a competitive game. At least we don’t have to worry about competitive games with this Panthers team.

As for the height difference you mention, I do think they make a difference, and a pretty significant one. Just like in basketball a 4-inch height differential can make a significant difference. You can see the difference when you see what it looks like when Bryce is in the pocket vs. a quarterback who is at least 6-2.

As for the first couple paragraphs, I have no idea how anyone thought he was a legit NFL prospect. I’m stumped there.

As for the third paragraph, you are 100% correct. But I thought about that earlier in this game after a turnover. What happens if he is in a position to stop a defensive player with the ball after a turnover? I don’t see how he can. While that scenario doesn't come up much, it does from time to time, and that can make a difference in a competitive game. At least we don’t have to worry about competitive games with this Panthers team.

As for the height difference you mention, I do think they make a difference, and a pretty significant one. Just like in basketball a 4-inch height differential can make a significant difference. You can see the difference when you see what it looks like when Bryce is in the pocket vs. a quarterback who is at least 6-2.
Eh, if a kicker or punter can stop a return man, Bryce Young can too.

In basketball, the four inch height differential makes a difference 1) because of the differing abilities to get hands on the ball; and 2) there is usually also a weight difference that allows the bigger player to dominate with strength. I've heard people say, "Lebron [or other tall assist man] is a great passer because he can see over the defense," but I don't know. CP3 isn't big and he's the #3 assist man in history. Stockton wasn't big and he's #1. James Harden, Russ Westbrook -- I mean, I just don't know about seeing over the defense.

If the point is that Young gets a lot of passes batted down, I can easily, easily see that. But seeing open receivers? Just seeing them? I don't know. I'll defer. I'm not 5'10." I'm not an NFL quarterback. I'm not a quarterback at any level. In fact, I never played organized football. So my knowledge here is pretty close to zero. It just seems counter-intuitive that vision is such a problem. Maybe it's just a question of processing speed? Maybe there's just more confusion at his eye level and so it takes a split second longer to process, which is of course a big deal.

Eh, if a kicker or punter can stop a return man, Bryce Young can too.

In basketball, the four inch height differential makes a difference 1) because of the differing abilities to get hands on the ball; and 2) there is usually also a weight difference that allows the bigger player to dominate with strength. I've heard people say, "Lebron [or other tall assist man] is a great passer because he can see over the defense," but I don't know. CP3 isn't big and he's the #3 assist man in history. Stockton wasn't big and he's #1. James Harden, Russ Westbrook -- I mean, I just don't know about seeing over the defense.

If the point is that Young gets a lot of passes batted down, I can easily, easily see that. But seeing open receivers? Just seeing them? I don't know. I'll defer. I'm not 5'10." I'm not an NFL quarterback. I'm not a quarterback at any level. In fact, I never played organized football. So my knowledge here is pretty close to zero. It just seems counter-intuitive that vision is such a problem. Maybe it's just a question of processing speed? Maybe there's just more confusion at his eye level and so it takes a split second longer to process, which is of course a big deal.
Punters and kickers typically aren’t good at making tackles, and I think Bryce is even smaller than most NFL punters and kickers (he’s not just short, he small).

This is what many of Bryce’s passes look like:
1726428119205.jpeg
He gets on his tiptoes to see over the line and then throws either from his tiptoes or while jumping in the air and extending his arm higher than normal to make a pass.

Punters and kickers typically aren’t good at making tackles, and I think Bryce is even smaller than most NFL punters and kickers (he’s not just short, he small).

This is what many of Bryce’s passes look like:
1726428119205.jpeg
He gets on his tiptoes to see over the line and then throws either from his tiptoes or while jumping in the air and extending his arm higher than normal to make a pass.
I gotta think that there's a coaching failure in there as well.

Back