Chapel Hill/Carrboro Reminiscing & Missed Connections

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 196
  • Views: 2K
  • Off-Topic 
This is a picture from the 1966 Beat Dook parade.

Does that say "Go to Helms" and is it an anti-WRAL float because Jesse was doing his editorials on WRAL?

download.jpg

Wow...I wonder if 1966 was when Helms rolled out his "UNC, The University of Negroes and Communists" schtick?

I first met Jock Lauterer in Neal’s Deli on a Saturday morning. We’d stop in Neal’s for a biscuit after shopping at the Carrboro Farmers’ Market; Jock and his wife were having a biscuit before going to the Market.

As often happens in Neal’s, it’s crowded and often with only two at a 4-top. I don’t remember if we invited them to join us or they’d invited us……regardless, we shared a table in Neal’s a good 100 times over 3-4-5 years. Jock was a great raconteur; his wife was nice as hell.

I just helped Matt and Sheila move their kid into his dorm at UNCA.

@Calheel wrote

IMG_4418.jpeg

You piqued my curiosity and I turned to Newspapers.Com.

Fell down a Rabbit Hole.

The 1966 Beat dook Parade had some controversy. What follows is some history.

IMG_4411.jpeg

The front page of The DTH the morning of the parade. Musical offerings for the weekend were impressive - Friday afternoon saw Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs on South Campus (behind Teague) while that evening The Four Seasons were in Carmichael. Saturday night post-game The Platters were in Carmichael. Also Saturday night saw Garnett Mimms and the Venturas(?) in Chase Cafeteria.

Kenan Residence College bought a cannon, The Toronto Exchange was in town, and 400 some Carolina men staged Panty Raids at Spencer and Winston Thursday night.

Also note that the (Sr.?) Class President in 1966 was Bland Simpson.

Last edited:
And there was the parade…and the Jesse Helms question is answered.

IMG_4419.jpeg

There was a Saturday DTH in those days…

IMG_4415.jpeg

Carolina lost that game 25-41 as well as 7 more, going 2-8 (1-4, beating only state college in conference). We also beat #8 Michigan ‘up there’ for probably the biggest upset in the 1966 season.

There were reverberations about the parade by the way…

From 11/23/66

IMG_4416.jpeg

Also that day…

An interesting aside is the letter to the editor captured in that screen shot from William Powell...he did publish his North Carolina Gazeteer and it is a fine work of history. "Dr." Powell taught North Carolina History at UNC for decades and also edited the North Carolina Encyclopedia.

IMG_4417.jpeg

Last edited:
Carolina lost that game 25-41 as well as 7 more, going 2-8 (1-4, beating only state college in conference). We also beat #8 Michigan ‘up there’ for probably the biggest upset in the 1966 season.

There were reverberations about the parade by the way…

From 11/23/66

IMG_4416.jpeg

Also that day…

An interesting aside is the letter to the editor captured in that screen shot from William Powell...he did publish his North Carolina Gazeteer and it is a fine work of history. "Dr." Powell taught North Carolina History at UNC for decades and also edited the North Carolina Encyclopedia.

IMG_4417.jpeg
The 60s were a crazy decade.

The 60s were a crazy decade.
Some of my memories from the 1960s

I watched the Kennedy-Nixon debates with my grandmother in 1960
I hid under my 3rd grade desk in 1961
I watched coverage of the Cuban missle crisis with my parents in 1962
I was sitting in my 6th grade class when JFK was assassinated in 1963
I watched the Beatles debut on Ed Sullivan in 1964
I fell in love with Julie Andrews after watching Sound of Music in 1965
My favorite tv show,The Monkees, premiered in 1966
I watched Mike Douglas deliver a special report of the death of the Appolo 1 astronauts in 1967
I watched the riotous Democratic Convention in 1968
I marched in the Moritorium anti-war protest in 1969

Some of my memories from the 1960s

I watched the Kennedy-Nixon debates with my grandmother in 1960
I hid under my 3rd grade desk in 1961
I watched coverage of the Cuban missle crisis with my parents in 1962
I was sitting in my 6th grade class when JFK was assassinated in 1963
I watched the Beatles debut on Ed Sullivan in 1964
I fell in love with Julie Andrews after watching Sound of Music in 1965
My favorite tv show,The Monkees, premiered in 1966
I watched Mike Douglas deliver a special report of the death of the Appolo 1 astronauts in 1967
I watched the riotous Democratic Convention in 1968
I marched in the Moritorium anti-war protest in 1969

You have some key years over on me. The 1960s were kind of fuzzy for me though I have a dim memory of JFK's funeral and the boots in the stirrups backwards and the rambunctious horse.
1964 -- Started school -- images of the playground and stitches.
1965 -- Second Grade Teacher was a stocky woman -- Mrs. Vestal. She said WAUter instead of Water.
1966 -- Batman on TV
1967 -- My brother went off to college
1968 -- Little League Baseball -- LBJ and HHH v Nixon
1969 -- Governor Bob Scott

@donbosco said

That house there behind the "other" building at Starpoint? I went to parties there in the early 1980s.
At the urging of some bluegrass buddies, I went to Starpoint Tavern circa 1976 to see a little known band called Boone Creek. It included Ricky Skaggs, Jerry Douglas, Terry Baucom (before he married Cindy of Merlefest) and a great vocalist named Wes Golding. First of a ton of times seeing these guys in other bands...

@Calheel wrote

IMG_4418.jpeg

You piqued my curiosity and I turned to Newspapers.Com.

Fell down a Rabbit Hole.

The 1966 Beat dook Parade had some controversy. What follows is some history.

IMG_4411.jpeg

The front page of The DTH the morning of the parade. Musical offerings for the weekend were impressive - Friday afternoon saw Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs on South Campus (behind Teague) while that evening The Four Seasons were in Carmichael. Saturday night post-game The Platters were in Carmichael. Also Saturday night saw Garnett Mimms and the Venturas(?) in Chase Cafeteria.

Kenan Residence College bought a cannon, The Toronto Exchange was in town, and 400 some Carolina men staged Panty Raids at Spencer and Winston Thursday night.

Also note that the (Sr.?) Class President in 1966 was Bland Simpson.
I have Bland’s book “Into the Sound Country”. Great book.

Thanks for the back story. Assuming it is the same Larry, and it almost has to be, he was a regular patron at the bar at Squid's circa 1988-92. He designed the neon fishbone Squid's t-shirt, some of which are still in my closet somewhere till this very day.
Found one of the t-shirt designs. This was second generation - a bit more psychedelic than the first version.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 at 6.51.56 PM.jpeg

In a couple weeks, Bland and Ann are coming over for supper and Bland is going to read a. chapter or two of their latest book. Mom doesn’t see well enough anymore to read a regular print book and I asked Bland if he was going to do an audio version; but, the recent audio book they recorded didn’t sell well enough to warrant another audio book. So, we’ll get an “audio book;” it just won’t be a recorded one!

I likely have all of Bland’s books.

One thing I like about Bland’s books is that I can pick one up and read (or re-read) a chapter. Set it down for a time and pick it up and read another chapter - doesn’t matter where I left off and where I re-started. I mentioned this to Bland one evening and his comment, “That’s how they were written and meant to be read.”

“The Great Dismal” and “Ghost Ship of Diamond Shoals” are also wonderful books (“Ghost Ship” might best be read cover-to-cover - a lot of the book’s details involve the ship being built at a Deering Shipyard in Maine’s Kennebec River).

Back