Chapel Hill/Carrboro Reminiscing & Missed Connections

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 196
  • Views: 2K
  • Off-Topic 
Does anyone remember the old guys that hung out at Jeff's Campus Confectionary in the mid 80s? I don't remember their names, hell I'm not sure I ever knew their name. In High School (84-87) I'd be in Jeffs at least 1x/week buying a cherry coke and a few mags (magazines, the internet of the 20th century) and would wind up talking with those guys for 30 minutes.

When I went on to UNC, I was broke and in Jeff's a lot less, but I'd see some of those guys around town from time to time and we'd always say hi.

Does anyone remember the old guys that hung out at Jeff's Campus Confectionary in the mid 80s? I don't remember their names, hell I'm not sure I ever knew their name. In High School (84-87) I'd be in Jeffs at least 1x/week buying a cherry coke and a few mags (magazines, the internet of the 20th century) and would wind up talking with those guys for 30 minutes.

When I went on to UNC, I was broke and in Jeff's a lot less, but I'd see some of those guys around town from time to time and we'd always say hi.

IMG_4402.jpeg

I drank a few beers in there with Jordy - a son of one of the owners. My brother was once a realtor in town and he claimed that a lot of business deals went down in that little space at the back.

IMG_4402.jpeg

I drank a few beers in there with Jordy - a son of one of the owners. My brother was once a realtor in town and he claimed that a lot of business deals went down in that little space at the back.
Yes, they were always hanging out in the space in the back. I'm sure there was all sorts of shenanigans happening back there!

My sister partook sometime 78-80 so the crackdown did not establish deep roots.

IMG_4602.jpeg

Before all of our times - Rameses and his handler, Bushy Cook of Efland. Photo is from sometime around 1949.

IMG_4639.jpeg

I do not remember the Pickwick or the Med Deli Basement locations but by the mid-70s was a frequent visitor to the ‘near Tijuana Fats’’ spot. There I saw lots of great music: Fabulous Knobs, Bluegrass Experience, Insect Surfers, Romeo Void, Dads, & Kamikazes come immediately you mind. Of course, the other Chapel Hill locales were also stop-ins - the (Long, skinny Cradle sharing space with The El Morocco Club) & the Belks Cradle being the place where I clearly remember my first Billy Bragg show & dimly recollect Fugazi.

Under the Med Deli was the first version for me. Bluegrass Experience was already a regular act on Thursdays.

Under the Med Deli was the first version for me. Bluegrass Experience was already a regular act on Thursdays.
Almost the same here. Member #8 at the El Mo. Don't know what that says about me...

Yelp. They've all been friends of mine for over 50 years. His daughter, her husband and son was over at my son's for a cookout last night.
Yelp. They've all been friends of mine for over 50 years. His daughter, her husband and son was over at my son's for a cookout last night.
When Professor Barnes was the wrestling coach, one of the assistant coaches was a Professor of Chemistry and, among others, taught the Chem 61 and Chem 62 classes, a two semester organic chemistry class. The Chemistry professor was reported to have wrestled at Notre Dame as an undergraduate and . . . supposedly . . . to offer one letter grade bump in the Organic Chemistry class for anyone who tried out and made the wrestling team. Not wanting to pander in stereotypes, but Chem 61 & 62 were not exactly chock full of folks with a wrestling physique.

IMG_4639.jpeg

I do not remember the Pickwick or the Med Deli Basement locations but by the mid-70s was a frequent visitor to the ‘near Tijuana Fats’’ spot. There I saw lots of great music: Fabulous Knobs, Bluegrass Experience, Insect Surfers, Romeo Void, Dads, & Kamikazes come immediately you mind. Of course, the other Chapel Hill locales were also stop-ins - the (Long, skinny Cradle sharing space with The El Morocco Club) & the Belks Cradle being the place where I clearly remember my first Billy Bragg show & dimly recollect Fugazi.
Cat's Cradle was the very first place I ever saw The Red Clay Ramblers. There was a cute girl (of course there was) that I had a crush on who was a waitress at Tijuana Fats. I usually was working Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, but occasionally I would be working the midnight shift rather than the evening shift and could eat out on Friday or Saturday night. I would go to Tijuana Fats and hope the cute girl waited on me. One of the nights she did, she told me to be sure to go next door to Cat's Cradle to see the Red Clay Ramblers after eating. Of course I did, with fantasies of her joining me at the end of her shift. But, of course that didn't happen, but my relationship with the Red Clay Ramblers probably lasted longer than any relationship I would have had with the cute waitress.

Cat's Cradle was the very first place I ever saw The Red Clay Ramblers. There was a cute girl (of course there was) that I had a crush on who was a waitress at Tijuana Fats. I usually was working Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, but occasionally I would be working the midnight shift rather than the evening shift and could eat out on Friday or Saturday night. I would go to Tijuana Fats and hope the cute girl waited on me. One of the nights she did, she told me to be sure to go next door to Cat's Cradle to see the Red Clay Ramblers after eating. Of course I did, with fantasies of her joining me at the end of her shift. But, of course that didn't happen, but my relationship with the Red Clay Ramblers probably lasted longer than any relationship I would have had with the cute waitress.

So many Tijuana Fats' waitresses...so many.

Back