Chapel Hill/Carrboro Reminiscing & Missed Connections

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 196
  • Views: 2K
  • Off-Topic 
From The Sun Magazine archives, 1977: “Tijuana Fats, located on West Rosemary Street, was opened in 1970. In deference to local tastes the owners, Art Lester and Clark Church, serve Mexican food that is not as spicy as that in the Southwestern United States. My personal preference is for slightly hotter foods, so I frequently add a little of their home-made jalapeno pepper sauce to whatever it is that I have ordered.

Menu items include tacos (Mexico’s answer to the hamburger), enchiladas (tortillas filled with meat or cheese), guacamole (an avacado tip), chile rellenos (bell pepper stuffed with chile), Sangria (a wine punch), and Mexican beer. The house speciality is Enchiladas Sabrosas — chicken enchiladas in a white cheese sauce. Superb! Their flan, a rich egg custard, is also excellent.

I have always felt that Tijuana Fats offers the patron a lot for his money. Although many might feel that Mexican food has a low food cost, this is not true when one takes into consideration shipping costs and other inconveniences in delivery encountered by a Mexican restaurant in this area. The most expensive item on Fats’ menu, the special dinner priced at $4.50, consists of soup, salad, taco, enchilada, chile relleno, chile conqueso, refried beans and rice. The rice is better prepared than at any of the Oriental restaurants reviewed below.

Recently Church and Lester redesigned a section of the dining area. They also added a parking lot adjacent to the building.

A tightly controlled Tijuana Fats franchise, the first they have attempted, will open in Greensboro in March.

Church and Lester are training the Greensboro staff and providing recipes and supplies.

Tijuana Fats is one of my favorite restaurants in Chapel Hill. Prices are fair, service is quick, food is consistent, cleanliness is adequate, and employees are amiable. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week.”

I knew Clark a little. Another friend of mine, Steve Masten worked there starting in ,I think 71. I don't recall how long he was there.

Was a landscaper right? Operated lawnmowers and even chainsaws with his feet? (Video won't work for me in Canada for some reason)

Yeah - vid shows him doing all those things plus dining at Sutton’s.

I loved Marty stories about when he was growing up in the 50's trying to be the Fonz/Rebel W/O a cause cool cat growing up! Greaser hairdo and playing baseball. He was nothing if not motivational.

IMG_4681.jpeg

Photo by Jock Lauterer

I have a hard time placing that tree in my recollections.

From The Sun Magazine archives, 1977: “Tijuana Fats, located on West Rosemary Street, was opened in 1970. In deference to local tastes the owners, Art Lester and Clark Church, serve Mexican food that is not as spicy as that in the Southwestern United States. My personal preference is for slightly hotter foods, so I frequently add a little of their home-made jalapeno pepper sauce to whatever it is that I have ordered.

Menu items include tacos (Mexico’s answer to the hamburger), enchiladas (tortillas filled with meat or cheese), guacamole (an avacado tip), chile rellenos (bell pepper stuffed with chile), Sangria (a wine punch), and Mexican beer. The house speciality is Enchiladas Sabrosas — chicken enchiladas in a white cheese sauce. Superb! Their flan, a rich egg custard, is also excellent.

I have always felt that Tijuana Fats offers the patron a lot for his money. Although many might feel that Mexican food has a low food cost, this is not true when one takes into consideration shipping costs and other inconveniences in delivery encountered by a Mexican restaurant in this area. The most expensive item on Fats’ menu, the special dinner priced at $4.50, consists of soup, salad, taco, enchilada, chile relleno, chile conqueso, refried beans and rice. The rice is better prepared than at any of the Oriental restaurants reviewed below.

Recently Church and Lester redesigned a section of the dining area. They also added a parking lot adjacent to the building.

A tightly controlled Tijuana Fats franchise, the first they have attempted, will open in Greensboro in March.

Church and Lester are training the Greensboro staff and providing recipes and supplies.

Tijuana Fats is one of my favorite restaurants in Chapel Hill. Prices are fair, service is quick, food is consistent, cleanliness is adequate, and employees are amiable. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week.”

Ah, yes, guacamole, enchiladas, and flan, so exotic and foreign they have to be explained.

I loved the food at Fats, even if it wasn't especially spicy. I also miss the Flying Burrito.

Back