GOP slouches into the Crazy -IMMIGRATION Edition | Trump Won’t Condemn Bomb Threats in Springfield OH

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 775
  • Views: 16K
  • Politics 
That's true but it did signal a change in what was acceptable and eliminated any chance that it would be expanded.
It had no chance to be expanded. It was a bizarre doctrine that applied, on its face, only to broadcast media on the idea that the public airwaves were a limited resource. At the same time it was upheld, a Fairness Doctrine type claim was rejected as applied to major city newspapers.

If the Fairness Doctrine were resurrected, it would probably be overturned unanimously or close to it at the Supreme Court. The six conservatives would all be against it, as would Kagan for sure. Jackson, I haven't seen enough of her to predict issues with specificity -- but from what I've seen so far, I would put a 90%+ chance that she would vote to strike it down. Only Soto could be a vote for an expanded Fairness Doctrine and even then it would be improbable. The odds of a 9-0 rejection would be greater than 50% imo. The chances to get more than 2 votes for an expanded Fairness Doctrine is approximately zero.

What's happened to Springfield is pretty typical of many towns and cities across the Midwest, and it's one of the reasons why several of these states are now harder for Democrats to win. Detroit's population has fallen from 1,850,000 in 1950 to just 633,000 today, St. Louis from 856,000 in 1950 to just 280,000 today, and Milwaukee from 750,000 in 1960 to 575,000 today. In Ohio Cleveland's population has fallen from 915,000 in 1950 (about the size of Charlotte now) to just 372,000 currently, Dayton from 262,000 in 1960 to only 135,000 today, Toledo from 385,000 in 1970 to 265,000, Youngstown (a steel town) from 168,000 to 59,000, and so on.

Given that Democrats often did well in Ohio because they were strong in the state's urban areas, the decline of the state's cities has hit them very hard. Ohio Democrats used to run up huge margins in Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo, etc., which often made them competitive statewide, but obviously with the major population decline of many Ohio towns and cities that's not nearly as effective today.

This is getting so out of hand …

I may rebrand this thread as MAGA insanity just about immigrants and start another slouch thread for other stuff. Unreal.

You're honestly being to kind with your thread title and thoughts of splitting it into two topics. I would have gone with something all encompassing and accurate like this - GOP trash manages to somehow get trashier by the day.

I haven’t noticed, has HY or any other board cons been around lately? Have they piped up since Vance and his Haitian hatred surfaced?
Are they still amongst us, maybe trying to make excuses for their party? Anymore talk by them about “the border” or “immigrants”?
Just curious…

I haven’t noticed, has HY or any other board cons been around lately? Have they piped up since Vance and his Haitian hatred surfaced?
Are they still amongst us, maybe trying to make excuses for their party? Anymore talk by them about “the border” or “immigrants”?
Just curious…
I don’t remember seeing a single post from one of the conservatives here since calla hung it up near the end of the debate.

Just curious…
Near as I can tell Joe Biden is still old and he still had to miss football games during the pandemic so I don’t see what has changed for him.

Near as I can tell Joe Biden is still old and he still had to miss football games during the pandemic so I don’t see what has changed for him.
Uh?
I’ve read some really unintelligent poasts before (on the old board, not so much here, thus far) but that one is up for some sort of ignominious award.

How many times a week do you think Vlad "the Ras" Putin smiles when he thinks back to the aftermath of Obama' 2012 re-election and someone came up to him and said, "I think we have a candidate for disrupting America."

As an aside, I think law enforcement is learning that withholding names of suspects in custody too long is creating a vacuum filled by lunatic conspiracy theorists and seem to be moving back toward as much information disclosure as early as possible after some time of increasing foot-dragging (that seemed to be a reaction to people running down the social media footprint of suspects before cops could so and conspiracists launching fake social media accounts of the alleged suspect for their own purposes).

As an aside, I think law enforcement is learning that withholding names of suspects in custody too long is creating a vacuum filled by lunatic conspiracy theorists and seem to be moving back toward as much information disclosure as early as possible after some time of increasing foot-dragging (that seemed to be a reaction to people running down the social media footprint of suspects before cops could so and conspiracists launching fake social media accounts of the alleged suspect for their own purposes).
AI fakes will outrun the law. Unless Gubment puts some screws to companies driving AI like Apple, Tesla etc.

Last I saw the mayor had asked him not to come. Citing the already strained police officers and other civil servants.
He doesn't care what the mayor or any other official there wants or thinks. He'll go there, stir up even more animosity and hatred for immigrants there, cater to the local bigots, and then fly away and leave the mayor and city council and other local officials to deal with the mess he's created. It's basically what the guy does almost everywhere he goes.

Back