GOP slouches into the Crazy -IMMIGRATION Edition | Trump Won’t Condemn Bomb Threats in Springfield OH

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 774
  • Views: 16K
  • Politics 
Tom Emmer just got ROASTED on CNN. He also doubled down on the pet eating and blamed Kamala Harrises policies. It’s sad that the Majority Whip apparently doesn’t understand how the government works.

This makes sense and isn’t quite as schmuckish as everyone here wants to believe it is (as a campaign strategy).

Trump has everyone (left, right or center) talking about immigration in a small mid-west town. Does it matter he’s absolutely wrong on every point here? That it’s escalating out of control…..probably, no is the crappy but real answer.

I think Trump’s campaign thinks it’s a good thing which is why Vance is playing the martyr card here. Trump can be wrong on every fact, endangering folks in Springfield on both sides of the issue, but he knows broadly he is on the majority side re immigration and has squarely parked the media’s attention on him. And now you have a whole week of coverage on an immigration issue in a small mid-west town.

In a more rational world, he’d pay a price for so callously using these people. Spouting just inane gibberish. And targeting a largely legal Haitian community. We don’t live in that world anymore.

We all know why they're doing it. At least there are some media members calling them out on their bullshit.
I'm not sure it's getting them the traction they think it is. Especially when the republican governor of the state is calling them out.

We all know why they're doing it. At least there are some media members calling them out on their bullshit.
I'm not sure it's getting them the traction they think it is. Especially when the republican governor of the state is calling them out.
Yeah, this feels like more evidence of a campaign that has given up on getting new voters and is trying to find something to get its base fired up enough to match Dem enthusiasm. The problem is Trump’s base has never been large enough for him to win. He must either get a lot of moderates or convince Dems to stay home, and nothing about the Springfield story is likely to help him with that.

I would LOVE to have a peek at Trump’s internals right now. I have a feeling they’re dire, and one of the worst numbers for him is the enthusiasm gap. That would explain a lot of the “throw crazy against the wall” strategy we’ve seen since the debate.

Yeah, this feels like more evidence of a campaign that has given up on getting new voters and is trying to find something to get its base fired up enough to match Dem enthusiasm. The problem is Trump’s base has never been large enough for him to win. He must either get a lot of moderates or convince Dems to stay home, and nothing about the Springfield story is likely to help him with that.

I would LOVE to have a peek at Trump’s internals right now. I have a feeling they’re dire, and one of the worst numbers for him is the enthusiasm gap. That would explain a lot of the “throw crazy against the wall” strategy we’ve seen since the debate.
Or, maybe, they see an opportunity to activate the sympathetic nervous system of just enough burb and exburb soccer moms in neighboring PA? Yeah, maybe they piss off the entire 60k pop of Springfield, OH, and a few surrounding communities, but those numbers don't put OH at risk.

Or, maybe, they see an opportunity to activate the sympathetic nervous system of just enough burb and exburb soccer moms in neighboring PA? Yeah, maybe they piss off the entire 60k pop of Springfield, OH, and a few surrounding communities, but those numbers don't put OH at risk.
From the data I have seen come in, outside of the base, no one believes the stuff about Ohio. It's not resonating as an issue (outside of the trauma THEY have brought to the community...ie backfiring)

From the data I have seen come in, outside of the base, no one believes the stuff about Ohio. It's not resonating as an issue (outside of the trauma THEY have brought to the community...ie backfiring)
Yeah, not saying it's likely to work, but I also think there's a modicum of rationality. They are a desperate campaign, despite the narrow margins, and this keeps ttump in the limelight on an issue he has good trust margins. It's overtly racist and, frankly, idiotic, but I'd only label it as a "backfire" in pencil, at this juncture.

Yeah, not saying it's likely to work, but I also think there's a modicum of rationality. They are a desperate campaign, despite the narrow margins, and this keeps ttump in the limelight on an issue he has good trust margins. It's overtly racist and, frankly, idiotic, but I'd only label it as a "backfire" in pencil, at this juncture.
I agree. But obviously St. Donald of Mar-a-Lago's internal polling is telling him he is going to lose. His only path to power now is to get his base so riled up that every single one of them will show-up and vote. But, again, that will not be enough for him to win. But it might be enough to get him close enough to stage another January 6th moment and, with prior experience and planning, pull it off this time. But the pivotal metric is to get the vote close enough to pull country club Republicans in on the coup. If the vote is close enough, then the George Will, Brit Hume, and their ilk will solemnly intone platitudes, such as, "Today is one of, if not the, darkest day in our great country's history. Which makes it all the more important for everyone to think critically about who actually brought us to this dire Crossroads. . . .."

This makes sense and isn’t quite as schmuckish as everyone here wants to believe it is (as a campaign strategy).

Trump has everyone (left, right or center) talking about immigration in a small mid-west town. Does it matter he’s absolutely wrong on every point here? That it’s escalating out of control…..probably, no is the crappy but real answer.

I think Trump’s campaign thinks it’s a good thing which is why Vance is playing the martyr card here. Trump can be wrong on every fact, endangering folks in Springfield on both sides of the issue, but he knows broadly he is on the majority side re immigration and has squarely parked the media’s attention on him. And now you have a whole week of coverage on an immigration issue in a small mid-west town.

In a more rational world, he’d pay a price for so callously using these people. Spouting just inane gibberish. And targeting a largely legal Haitian community. We don’t live in that world anymore.
Yep. We see the good in what the guy at factory said about "give me 30 more Haitian workers" because they are great and reliable workers that helps our business and community grow. Trump wants that framed on a national level as "see, I told you they were taking your jobs" especially "black jobs" and he doesn't give a shit if people get hurt in the process.

Trump isn't just exhausting for people who dislike him, he is exhausting for his supporters and the media. He has been campaigning for 4 years and declared two years ago. Maintaining enthusiasm is difficult, especially when your whole campaign theme is dystopian. As usual, he and his campaign didn't think this through.

Everybody, and I mean everybody except Laura Loomer, is just fucking tired of him.

"...To wind the clock back a month: there had been some stories in the mainstream media about the effect of an influx of legal Haitian immigrants into the small town of Springfield, Ohio. Those stories — one by NPR’s Jasmine Garsd and one by the New York Times’ Miriam Jordan — paint a complex picture. Long story short, ten years ago, Springfield was hemorrhaging population and vitality. A concerted effort by state and local authorities to attract manufacturing investment paid off — and a lot of those factories hired legal Haitian immigrants over the past few years. The exact number of Haitians arriving into the town and its environs is unclear, but everyone acknowledges a rapid increase over the past four years or so.

The stories make it clear that their arrival has had some pluses and minuses. On the plus side, the town is growing again and the Haitians have created thriving cultural neighborhoods in the town. On the minus side, city services like hospitals and schools are now overburdened. This caused local officials to request more federal support. It also caused some angry locals to pop off on social media and at public forums.

Enter JD Vance and Donald Trump, who saw a city that spoke to their campaign theme of immigration restrictionism and then poured kerosene on the entire town. ...

Trump took no responsibility for the threats. “I don’t know what happened with the bomb threats,” he told reporters in Las Vegas. “I know that it’s been taken over by illegal migrants, and that’s a terrible thing that happened. Springfield was this beautiful town, and now they’re going through hell. It’s a sad thing. Not going to happen with me, I can tell you right now.”
Similarly, Vance told CNN’s Dana Bash that he didn’t care whether the stories were accurate or not: “If I have to create stories so that the American media actually pays attention to the suffering of the American people, then that’s what I’m going to do.” ..."

Shouldn’t JD Vance Represent All of Ohio?​

"... In his speech accepting the Republican nomination for vice president, Vance rejected a creedal notion of American identity. America, he said, “is not just an idea. It is a group of people with a shared history and a common future. It is, in short, a nation.” He went on to add that America is a “homeland” and that “people will not fight for abstractions, but they will fight for their home.”

... In waging rhetorical war on the Haitian immigrants of Springfield, Ohio, Vance has clarified the meaning of his convention speech. It does not matter, to Vance, that these Haitian newcomers came here legally, under the Temporary Protected Status program. It does not matter that they filled a valuable need. It does not matter that they reversed a slow collapse that has already sapped the life from so many former industrial towns. It does not matter that they work hard and seem eager, by all accounts, to establish themselves as productive members of the community.

What matters to Vance is who they are, where they come from and what they look like. They don’t belong to this soil, he might say, and therefore they don’t belong. Right now, the most Vance can do to wage this war is use his words. I shudder to think what might be possible if he had the authority of the state to wield as well. ..."

Five days in Ohio: False immigrant rumors threaten to unravel an American town on the upswing​

Local residents say the town’s economic upswing has come with growing pains, and its comeback story has been overshadowed by lies about its Haitian population.

"It was meant to be an event to help heal the community.

Instead, Haitian residents and advocates were confronted by a small group of frustrated Springfield residents and at least one right-wing provocateur Saturday evening outside the local Haitian Community Help & Support Center.

Shouting nearly escalated into a skirmish when a group not affiliated with the Haitian community showed up outside the event, which was canceled hours before and held online out of security concerns. They questioned why so many immigrants had moved into Springfield “illegally,” a claim that city officials have repeatedly said is not true.

... Springfield is a town on edge. It’s been five days since it was thrust into the national spotlight by baseless — and to many, racist — rumors of Haitian residents killing and eating wildlife and pets, and its economic comeback has been dramatically overshadowed by tensions that once rarely reached beyond city council meetings. The city has been forced to close schools, City Hall and other municipal buildings because of bomb threats and safety fears tied to the rumors, and Haitian immigrants are afraid to leave their homes because of anger directed at them.

On Saturday, nearby Wittenberg University canceled all on-campus activities for the following day after receiving a threat of a potential shooting targeting the Haitian community.

... The situation has made Springfield the scene of a particularly modern tale: Facts, data, rumors, half-truths, memes and misinformation filtered through a fractured media environment and hyperpolarized politics have created a warped picture of a city that had been on the upswing.

Now, the local Haitian population is living in fear. ..."

Five days in Ohio: False immigrant rumors threaten to unravel an American town on the upswing​

Local residents say the town’s economic upswing has come with growing pains, and its comeback story has been overshadowed by lies about its Haitian population.

"It was meant to be an event to help heal the community.

Instead, Haitian residents and advocates were confronted by a small group of frustrated Springfield residents and at least one right-wing provocateur Saturday evening outside the local Haitian Community Help & Support Center.

Shouting nearly escalated into a skirmish when a group not affiliated with the Haitian community showed up outside the event, which was canceled hours before and held online out of security concerns. They questioned why so many immigrants had moved into Springfield “illegally,” a claim that city officials have repeatedly said is not true.

... Springfield is a town on edge. It’s been five days since it was thrust into the national spotlight by baseless — and to many, racist — rumors of Haitian residents killing and eating wildlife and pets, and its economic comeback has been dramatically overshadowed by tensions that once rarely reached beyond city council meetings. The city has been forced to close schools, City Hall and other municipal buildings because of bomb threats and safety fears tied to the rumors, and Haitian immigrants are afraid to leave their homes because of anger directed at them.

On Saturday, nearby Wittenberg University canceled all on-campus activities for the following day after receiving a threat of a potential shooting targeting the Haitian community.

... The situation has made Springfield the scene of a particularly modern tale: Facts, data, rumors, half-truths, memes and misinformation filtered through a fractured media environment and hyperpolarized politics have created a warped picture of a city that had been on the upswing.

Now, the local Haitian population is living in fear. ..."
I’m just saying, let’s keep an eye on Ohio polls over the next week or two. I doubt the state could actually become competitive, but it may shift enough to make the Pubs sweat.

"... My very minor status as an authority on Adolf Hitler comparisons stems from having coined “Godwin’s Law” about three decades ago. I originally framed this “law” as a pseudoscientific postulate: “As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.” (That is, its likelihood approaches 100 percent.)

... But when people draw parallels between Donald Trump’s 2024 candidacy and Hitler’s progression from fringe figure to Great Dictator, we aren’t joking. Those of us who hope to preserve our democratic institutions need to underscore the resemblance before we enter the twilight of American democracy.

And that’s why Godwin’s Law isn’t violated — or confirmed — by the Biden reelection campaign’s criticism of Trump’s increasingly unsubtle messaging. We had the luxury of deriving humor from Hitler and Nazi comparisons when doing so was almost always hyperbole. It’s not a luxury we can afford anymore.

... I continue to insist that Godwin’s Law should never be read as a conversation-ender or as a prohibition on Hitler comparisons. Instead, I still hope it serves to steer conversations into more thoughtful, historically informed places. ..."

Back