How will the trolls be handled?

I have no idea of the financial aspect. They are independent owners that have an agreement to operate in partnership with 247, but I don't know the details. As the biggest site they can throw their weight around a bit, but it has its limits as the lack of moderating tools I hoped for shows. I suspect things became harder when CBS became owners of 247.
To be transparent, a large part of why I want to know is because of my belief that 247 has absolutely destroyed KUs fan community Phog.net. Phog was started by a guy who didn't go to KU and isn't even that big of a fan who "leased" the site to 247 and disappeared. He just collects a paycheck and has no input and is unwilling to help.

KU, a school with a great basketball program and an actually decent football program now has one site with one basketball writer and one site with one football writer. That's basically it. It's absurd.

I am stunned, stunned at some of the decisions 247 has made and their complete lack of transparency/communication with users. Nearly every company bends over backwards to reassure and attempt to explain things to its customers. 247? Can't be bothered with that sort of thing.

Only thing I can come up with is the decision makers stumbled into the job with no understanding of forums/engagement and just see it as a stupid nerd thing. With the amount of grief/problems/complaints, you'd think they'd wise up and make things easier for sites and moderators and users but no, just close/ban/get rid of everything.
How does it go… the arrogance of ignorance?

Well, how are you guys feeling about the Ben Carson/Tucker Carlson thread?

giphy.gif

We have a lot of folks engaging the someone pretty clearly spoiling for a fight — as long as it stays in that thread and doesn’t metastasize, should we care?

giphy.gif
See. You try to foster a welcoming community and immediately "the other side" joins to crank up the conspiracy theories or creates bot-like accounts to regurgitate lines over and over.

I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt but it's clear, at least so far, that some people are unwilling to change their behaviors.

The ignore function does work incredibly well. I've been doing this long enough to know that some users equate ignoring someone as a sign of weakness though and don't like doing it and/or they desire retribution be carried out against that user. Not saying that's anyone here. Just my experience over many years on forums.

So, we'll see where it goes. Thanks!

giphy.gif
Strongly encourage the people engaging with the troll that they put him on ignore.

No banning for what he’s doing so far.

If he escalated the homophobia, that changes things.

I slapped a warning on him once he crossed over into open homophobia but c’mon guys, don’t feed the trolls. Try the IGNORE function to help everybody out.

We have a lot of folks engaging the someone pretty clearly spoiling for a fight — as long as it stays in that thread and doesn’t metastasize, should we care?
I would normally absolutely agree with this- until the blatantly homophobic post came along. That is clearly outside of the boundaries of what should be tolerated in this community. Right wing views should be tolerated. Disagreement should be tolerated. Heated, passionate debate should be tolerated. Homophobia should not.

I would normally absolutely agree with this- until the blatantly homophobic post came along. That is clearly outside of the boundaries of what should be tolerated in this community. Right wing views should be tolerated. Disagreement should be tolerated. Heated, passionate debate should be tolerated. Homophobia should not.
Agreed and I warned and edited the post.

FWIW, I generally don't support bans, save for 1) actual threats, 2) unambiguous hate speech, or 3) doxxing someone.

Not ZZL "bans" where they weren't really bans - they were more like suspensions. But actual "you're not allowed back here, ever" bans.

I slapped a warning on him once he crossed over into open homophobia but c’mon guys, don’t feed the trolls. Try the IGNORE function to help everybody out.
Leave the bigoted speech (homophobia in this case) in place.

Add a statement inside his post that says approximately, “This is homophobic hate speech. It’s not acceptable on this site.”

Let the bigots expose themselves and let others see their bigotry.

Well, for practical reasons, I gave him a time-out til Sunday — in part for us to figure out the best approach we want used here, in part because I have other commitments and don’t have time to referee this for hours this afternoon.

Back