I do want conservatives on here

Whatever rules we end up agreeing on, I think it's useful to distinguish between name calling as a personal attack (e.g. "You're stupid.") and name calling as a non-personal attack (e.g. "That's a stupid position to take").

Whatever else happens, nobody should be getting any special treatment. The rules should apply universally across the board.

"I hope this place doesn't devolve into the same place the other one did, where the libtards called us names all the time"
Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

I've always been registered as an independent. I voted for both major parties before W. After W., I've rarely voted for a pub for anything over the last 2 1/2 decades. I've never regretted any vote during that time.

I grew up in a Republican household in the 60’s. Parents held fundraiser dinners for Cass Ballenger in our house. They were invited to, and attended Reagan’s first inauguration in 1981. In the late 70’s my mother told me she went to a Republican women’s club meeting and there were dozens, hundreds of new faces, new folks she’d never seen before. They were ALL religious right wing zealots mobilized by Roe v Wade and the Pubs new bent for wanting to see it overturned. They were totally new to the party. Things started spiraling out of control soon after. Reagan’s trickle down was sniffed out in our house very quickly as a flawed policy. Iran/Contra. Reagan losing his mind second term. Bush 1 and the Iraq war. Then Newt Gingrich “contract on America”. Rush Limbaughs BS. Then Bush 2 and his rather less than intelligent self. 9/11. Great Recession of 2008. Etc. etc.
By then, my father (an old Eisenhower Republican) wound up voting for OBama… twice. He couldn’t stand Trump, but I think he voted for the Libertarian candidate instead of Hillary. Little did he know at the time that was a tacit vote for trump, and he soon realized what a mistake he made. He voted for Biden in 2020 and passed away in Dec. 2020… before Jan 6 insurrection. Glad he got to vote against trump when it counted and that he passed before he saw that debacle in DC Jan 6 2021.
I never registered Republican, but I also never registered Democrat. I’m an avowed independent and registered Unaffiliated and proud of it. I vote the person, not the party. But since Gore was robbed by SCOTUS and hanging chads and John Kerry was swiftboated… I've been having to vote straight Dem ticket… especially since McCrory and bathroom BS.
Give me somebody like Cooper, Jeff Jackson and fewer Madison Cawthorns. Please.

Last edited:
Do you want a board that proactively and institutionally handicaps shitty ideas (like flat earth theory) and somehow creates a protected class for them that shields them from well deserved criticism?

Let's leave partisanship out of the discussion to see if we can make headway here.
There is no place for serious discussion for something like flat earth theory. Here is where you have to be careful though if you are sincere about wanting true debate. Who is the decider of what equates to flat earth theory? To me, if someone posts something that they are sincere about but you guys jump all over it that does nothing but send us back down the zzlp road. And it will drive away posters. The line is crossed when the flat earth post is combined with obvious trolling. The way the disagreement is framed will obviously determine how big a pissing match ensues. To use the analogy that was used before, saying someone is stupid is a personal attack. Saying your idea is stupid isn't as personal from a semantics pov, but in essence will be taken the same way by the poster. "Stupid" just isn't a word that fosters honest debate and ultimately ends up back where you (the board) says they don't want to go. My opinion is (and I admit this is a long shot and not likely to happen for more than a week) if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it on here. I know that probably won't be popular because we have some big personalities on here and its easy to let emotions rule the post. But none of us would talk to each other like we do on the zzlp if we were sitting at a table at He's Not sharing a pitcher. The odds are that this place ends up like the zzlp. We all say we don't want that but we all, to differing degrees, somewhat enjoy the freedom to express anger / frustration / sarcasm that anonymity offers. I have already seen some posts that I would have normally posted an "eff you" and sarcastic response to knowing it would have resulted in nothing substantive and constructive so I just passed it by. In the end, this is going to be a liberal dominated board. Conservatives will always be fighting an uphill battle on here. That's just the way it is and we conservatives have to accept it or go start another board. If this board is moderated, it needs to be moderated as DES would do. No favorites, no hypocrisy, and blind justice. At least then the whining from the conservatives won't be a legitimate complaint.

Enjoy hearing from level headed true conservatives but they are few and far between. The MAGA right wingers are on another level but they do keep me informed of the latest conspiracies, talking points, etc. from that crowd.

What I don't like and almost exclusively from the right ia

1) bosiding where posters never seem to be able to come up with factual information on what the other side is doing.

2) Whataboutisms where posters instead of replying directly to the subject at hand goes off on some tangent not barely or not at all related to the subject at hand.

And of course, Just the facts maam.

There is no place for serious discussion for something like flat earth theory. Here is where you have to be careful though if you are sincere about wanting true debate. Who is the decider of what equates to flat earth theory? To me, if someone posts something that they are sincere about but you guys jump all over it that does nothing but send us back down the zzlp road. And it will drive away posters. The line is crossed when the flat earth post is combined with obvious trolling. The way the disagreement is framed will obviously determine how big a pissing match ensues. To use the analogy that was used before, saying someone is stupid is a personal attack. Saying your idea is stupid isn't as personal from a semantics pov, but in essence will be taken the same way by the poster. "Stupid" just isn't a word that fosters honest debate and ultimately ends up back where you (the board) says they don't want to go. My opinion is (and I admit this is a long shot and not likely to happen for more than a week) if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it on here. I know that probably won't be popular because we have some big personalities on here and its easy to let emotions rule the post. But none of us would talk to each other like we do on the zzlp if we were sitting at a table at He's Not sharing a pitcher. The odds are that this place ends up like the zzlp. We all say we don't want that but we all, to differing degrees, somewhat enjoy the freedom to express anger / frustration / sarcasm that anonymity offers. I have already seen some posts that I would have normally posted an "eff you" and sarcastic response to knowing it would have resulted in nothing substantive and constructive so I just passed it by. In the end, this is going to be a liberal dominated board. Conservatives will always be fighting an uphill battle on here. That's just the way it is and we conservatives have to accept it or go start another board. If this board is moderated, it needs to be moderated as DES would do. No favorites, no hypocrisy, and blind justice. At least then the whining from the conservatives won't be a legitimate complaint.
You sure used a lot of words to say “yes”. Either you can defend your ideas using reasoned discourse or your ideas suck. Get used to that idea and you’ll do well around here.

Look, I was on the ZZL for 21 years and over that time I’ve tossed out a metric shit ton of indefensible sucky ideas. I’ve been literally schooled by numerous posters and continuously grown and learned and am a better person for it. I hope I never stop learning and I wish the same for you.

You sure used a lot of words to say “yes”. Either you can defend your ideas using reasoned discourse or your ideas suck. Get used to that idea and you’ll do well around here.

Look, I was on the ZZL for 21 years and over that time I’ve tossed out a metric shit ton of indefensible sucky ideas. I’ve been literally schooled by numerous posters and continuously grown and learned and am a better person for it. I hope I never stop learning and I wish the same for you.
It was more than yes but I realize the reality is my philosophical hope for this place isn't likely to materialize.

So I guess using the term “maroon” in reference to a poaster (sic) for their total inane BS - knowing full well that “maroon” is a Bugs Bunny parody - is off limits? Especially if the intended target is clueless about Bugs, Elmer and Daffy…

I guess I’ve answered my own question. Using bits like that is to be frowned upon. Snowflakes may not be able to understand they’ve been had, and that’s unfair.

I’m not sure I can play this game…

I thought I was pure Red because that is how my parents raised me... but now I am just bitter about all of politics and don't think that anyone in power is actually looking out for us.

If someone posts with the latest right wing catch phrase, do you not think that some ridicule is not justified? It just screams “minion” to me. Too many RW posters at ZZLP would immediately cause me to ignore what they say because their catch phrase use just identified it as talking points.

I doubt if I’m the only one here that used to (pre-Obama presidency) look at Fox News occasionally but could no longer stomach it afterward when the misinformation/disinformation spigot went wide open.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t want my NBC, MSNBC, PBS/NPR broadcasts to shoot me BS either, but theirs just seems very much less frequent than a two minute viewing of Fox or NewsMax (yeah, I would have to hear a bit of that at my MIL’s house).

Oh I can remember being butthurt because Super tore me a part a couple times. But super would explain super was just presenting the facts-and yea after my intial embarrassment I came to understand I had learned something

Oh I can remember being butthurt because Super tore me a part a couple times. But super would explain super was just presenting the facts-and yea after my intial embarrassment I came to understand I had learned something
If you haven't been embarrassed by Super and later learned that he was right and become smarter for it, you haven't truly participated on the message boards at IC. Super is a smart dude.

Back