Mark Robinson thread | Report - Pressure on Robinson to drop out?

Hence narrowly-tailored. I would envision a restriction on using AI in an advertisement to have someone say something they did not actually say -- at least not without that person's consent or the consent of the estate. Most likely you could carve out exceptions for historical figures. It is not a restriction on using AI generally -- just against deceiving people into believing that someone said something they did not actually say.
But that wouldn't apply in this case, would it?

Isn't this ad going to feature an AI-created visual of Robinson uttering real-life Robinson quotes?

(I agree that a law is needed here, but I'd say a broad law is actually what is needed here, something like it is illegal to create AI of someone without the consent of the person or their estate. You'd might have to have some carve out for obvious satire/parody, but even that would likely need to be carefully tailored.)

I mean, show stills of Robinson with a voice actor, with a similar vocal affectation, speaking the offending lines. Accompany the stills with text of the quotes.

Maybe this is my genuine desire to see "when they go low, we go high" have commanding salience in our world, despite evidence to the contrary, but this feels gross.

Stein is not going to debate Robinson:
Generally speaking, it’s not healthy for the electorate or democracy to not have debates. We already enable an absurd level of “celebrity over substance” relative to the average parliamentary democracy.

Generally speaking, it’s not healthy for the electorate or democracy to not have debates. We already enable an absurd level of “celebrity over substance” relative to the average parliamentary democracy.
Agree, however, I also support blocking Robinson from the publicity necessary to potentially land a "gotcha!"

Now, I don't think Robinson is clever enough, and his base narcissism and sociopathy likely means Stein gains even more support from a debate, but don't take the risk unless polling significantly changes.

Agree, however, I also support blocking Robinson from the publicity necessary to potentially land a "gotcha!"

Now, I don't think Robinson is clever enough, and his base narcissism and sociopathy likely means Stein gains even more support from a debate, but don't take the risk unless polling significantly changes.
Agree that Stein’s playing it safe and that’s probably the smart move for him. But the Trumpification of politics has really put us on the Idiocracy fast track.

But that wouldn't apply in this case, would it?

Isn't this ad going to feature an AI-created visual of Robinson uttering real-life Robinson quotes?

(I agree that a law is needed here, but I'd say a broad law is actually what is needed here, something like it is illegal to create AI of someone without the consent of the person or their estate. You'd might have to have some carve out for obvious satire/parody, but even that would likely need to be carefully tailored.)

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed three bills Tuesday to crack down on the use of artificial intelligence to create false images or videos in political ads ahead of the 2024 election.

A new law, set to take effect immediately, makes it illegal to create and publish deepfakes related to elections 120 days before Election Day and 60 days thereafter. It also allows courts to stop distribution of the materials and impose civil penalties.

“Safeguarding the integrity of elections is essential to democracy, and it’s critical that we ensure AI is not deployed to undermine the public’s trust through disinformation -– especially in today’s fraught political climate,” Newsom said in a statement. “These measures will help to combat the harmful use of deepfakes in political ads and other content, one of several areas in which the state is being proactive to foster transparent and trustworthy AI.”

Large social media platforms are also required to remove the deceptive material under a first-in-the-nation law set to be enacted next year. Newsom also signed a bill requiring political campaigns to publicly disclose if they are running ads with materials altered by AI.

Agree that Stein’s playing it safe and that’s probably the smart move for him. But the Trumpification of politics has really put us on the Idiocracy fast track.
If the GOP would stop playing with lunatics, we could go back to normalcy....a time when we were terrified if the other party won a race.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed three bills Tuesday to crack down on the use of artificial intelligence to create false images or videos in political ads ahead of the 2024 election.

A new law, set to take effect immediately, makes it illegal to create and publish deepfakes related to elections 120 days before Election Day and 60 days thereafter. It also allows courts to stop distribution of the materials and impose civil penalties.

“Safeguarding the integrity of elections is essential to democracy, and it’s critical that we ensure AI is not deployed to undermine the public’s trust through disinformation -– especially in today’s fraught political climate,” Newsom said in a statement. “These measures will help to combat the harmful use of deepfakes in political ads and other content, one of several areas in which the state is being proactive to foster transparent and trustworthy AI.”

Large social media platforms are also required to remove the deceptive material under a first-in-the-nation law set to be enacted next year. Newsom also signed a bill requiring political campaigns to publicly disclose if they are running ads with materials altered by AI.
That's great for elections in CA.

But I'm thinking far bigger...protections for every single person nationwide.

@Rock - weird behavior in this thread. It shows page 7 but if you click page 7 it takes you to 1
Just for all to see, yeah you can't really see how a custom developed item like Super Ignore is going to work without testing it and I guess it's real time testing. Will take what was said here and get er' working better so thanks for letting me know!

Just for all to see, yeah you can't really see how a custom developed item like Super Ignore is going to work without testing it and I guess it's real time testing. Will take what was said here and get er' working better so thanks for letting me know!
Someone Reaction GIF

That is why I went to regular ignore. Threads behave better with regular ignore.
Super ignore seems to work fine with the exception of a few things that in theory shouldn't happen all that often and somehow are happening too often.

HY honestly the faster your party can get rid of Trumpism the better off R's like yourself will be. The fact that you aren't voting straight blue down the line is crazy. Get rid of these folks so you can get your party back for gods sake man.
I agree with this entirely. I used to vote split purposely and have voted for Republicans from the local level to the presidency before.

But at this point I won’t even consider voting for another Republican until they get rid of the MAGA element entirely.

I’ve got a client who is on the local city council. Very nice guy, easy to work with. He hasn’t expressed any MAGA, but voting for any Republican right now tacitly shows approval for the whole shebang, so I won’t even vote for him.

Back